Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File encryption software

Options
  • 15-12-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am working on a data import process. They are basically flat files I am importing in to a SQL Database. There is no other option currently open to us so they have to be flat files (networks aren't hooked up so are using FTP). Anyway, one of the requirements is to have the flat files encrypted. I did use PGP Encryption in a previous job which was great as you can use the command line to encrypt/decrypt files on the fly.

The company does not want to fork out for a PGP license so my question is, is there any freeware alternative similar to PGP that can be used to encrypt/decrpyt files via a command line command ?

Failing this, are their cheaper alternatives ? I know I could use a password protected zip file but that's probably be a last resort as it's not exactly 100% secure.

Cheers,
    TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What development language and version are you using?
    What OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

GPG is a free alternative to PGP, if you're used to PGP then you'll have no hassle with it. It's command line and available on the usual OSs.

File encryption using GPG
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=168

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

TinCool wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am working on a data import process. They are basically flat files I am importing in to a SQL Database. There is no other option currently open to us so they have to be flat files (networks aren't hooked up so are using FTP). Anyway, one of the requirements is to have the flat files encrypted. I did use PGP Encryption in a previous job which was great as you can use the command line to encrypt/decrypt files on the fly.

The company does not want to fork out for a PGP license so my question is, is there any freeware alternative similar to PGP that can be used to encrypt/decrpyt files via a command line command ?

Failing this, are their cheaper alternatives ? I know I could use a password protected zip file but that's probably be a last resort as it's not exactly 100% secure.

Cheers,
    TC

The obvious solution here is truecrypt.

Brilliant software and a great selection of encryption algorithms.

Unix, Mac & Windoze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Thanks lads. I'll check out these two solutions, although GPG looks like the winner for me as it's command line I can integrate it in to a DTS package via an ActiveX Script.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

The company does not want to fork out for a PGP license so my question is

if someone else got hold of this data how much would it cost the company in damages and lost reputation?

for the OSS what happens if the project disappears?

• Advertisement

amen wrote: »
    if someone else got hold of this data how much would it cost the company in damages and lost reputation?

for the OSS what happens if the project disappears?

a considerable amount as its customer and revenue data. Im not quiet sure what you mean by OSS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

TinCool wrote: »
    a considerable amount as its customer and revenue data. Im not quiet sure what you mean by OSS.

OSS = Open Source Software ???

It worries some people and not others.

Doesn't worry me. GPG has been around since 1999, and last release was 2008 !

Advertisement