Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be 1 shooting organisation to represent all shooters

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

G17 wrote: »
    ............could I be more off topic........:D:D

Aha!, Your real name is Chandler Bing and I claim my complete collection of 'Friends' DVD's :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

rrpc wrote: »
    Aha!, Your real name is Chandler Bing and I claim my complete collection of 'Friends' DVD's :D:D
    Now, that's way too weird:D

fat-tony wrote: »
    Now, that's way too weird:D

Which weird tony?, the fact that he may be Chandler Bing or that I think he is?

my eyes!!!

bit of an overload of that green smiley there lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    And I'd go the other way, because I don't care too much about the tool, I care more about the job.

Sparks has made a very good point there and something worth considering if the governemnt said hand in all of the un mentionable calibers will you swop for 22 lr pistols or air pistols (your choice) what would you do??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks has made a very good point there and something worth considering if the governemnt said hand in all of the un mentionable calibers will you swop for 22 lr pistols or air pistols (your choice) what would you do??

Personally I'd take the .22lr pistol however I can't see the F Class boys shooting 1,000 yards with .22lr.

That's a tough question to ask of IPSA or WA1500 guys tbh. I know a lot of the fullbore lads look at .22 as peashooters and I can understand that to a point. To me target shooting is target shooting and the exercise is about accuracy and mental control so as Sparks said it's the job before the tool.

But that doesn't answer someone who shoots WA1500 and suddenly can't compete anymore. It's a tough ask.

I certainly don't advocate the 'all or nothing' argument because we've been there before and it was nothing for ten years which didn't do anything for the stats.

Imagine if we'd had .22 and air pistols since the early 90's. There'd be no statistics now showing zero four years ago and 'lordy lordy look how many we have now' bullsh*t.

Instead we'd have had a nice steady climb and no big jumps in numbers and no perceived problems within the body politic.

Personally I'd take the .22lr pistol however I can't see the F Class boys shooting 1,000 yards with .22lr.

Ok....let me rephrase I mean unmentionable pistol cailibers and types:o

As for shooting 1000 yrds with 22 lr.......it would really, really, really sort the men out from the boys (so to speak):D

I think Cavan Shooter is talking about pistols, but as I said above there's always a discipline that's going to lose out on a calibre restriction, so F-Class is a good analogy.

Thanks rrpc, exactly

Is it not a matter of scale??

Is 22 not more economical

You can get snazy looking 22 pistols (raging hornet for one:D)

• Advertisement

Thanks rrpc, exactly

Is it not a matter of scale??

Is 22 not more economical

You can get snazy looking 22 pistols (raging hornet for one:D)

That's one of the reasons why the 9mm is so popular. AFAIK, the 9mm round is about thecheapest centre fire pistol round out there.

.22 is also very economical, air pistol even more so when you can buy 500 target pellets for the price of a box of mid-range target .22 ammo: 10 times the fun for the same price :D.

I've advocated the air pistol route to any of the guys who are showing promise at .22. They can train at home, the pistol is a bit more muzzle heavy which is good for arm strengthening (and if you've got Sparks' IZH then you can double up in the Olympics as a shooter and a weightlifter ;)) and it's going to cost you diddly squat to shoot a couple of thousand rounds a week.

And the targets are dirt cheap!

Every home should have one. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    (and if you've got Sparks' IZH then you can double up in the Olympics as a shooter and a weightlifter ;))
    Not to mention the new skills you learn in woodcarving, metalwork, and field reassembly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sparks wrote: »
    Not to mention the new skills you learn in woodcarving, metalwork, and field reassembly :D

Sparks never really did anything with his engineering qualifications before he bought that pistol... :p

Getting back to the original point of this thread :).

Sparks has always banged on about the 2% rule, but he has a point. If everything went together it would be 2% of a bigger pool. You'd actually need to have all the people currently involved in the sports to stay involved which would then mean a very large number relatively speaking, but anything less would mean work wouldn't get done. What you'd actually have to do is pay people to do the work; you already have this in the ICPSA and the NARGC and people still complain about having to pay them. Certainly you'd be looking at ICPSA levels of membershhip fees to set something like this up, something over €100 a year and an income of at least €150,000 a year excluding grants.

Anywhere else this is done has huge resources to pay for all this and keep things running smoothly. Where it's done on a volunteer basis, well that's somebody else's job and they're not doing it right!

The German BSD has 1.5 million members and they don't cover IPSC, WA1500 and a couple of other sports. In Italy, the split is much the same as here under ISSF membership between rifle/pistol and shotgun, and the Italian sport is run by the Department of the Army.

There are actually very few countries where everything is under the one roof so to speak. France is one of them and Greece also, but most others don't do it and they've got the money to pay for it if they wanted to.

Advertisement