Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warpcon 2009

• 15-12-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Well the wargaming part anyway.

Full details are available on
    http://www.warpcon.com/wargames.html

Wargaming this year is going for even more gaming than last year.

Fantasy battle and 40K are now 5 games over 2 days.

This year the big Sunday Fantasy Battle is a 40,000 plus points battle between mighty armies. There are a slots open for players to join in but they’ll go fast so if you want to take part in such an epic game best to get in quick.

Bloodbowl will be running on Sunday with 3 games of the sport that involves balls and dice.

For those who remember the system we’ll have 2 days of classic battletech. Giant robots, with guns. Can’t go far wrong with that forumula.

The Historical Lads will be running the annual Munster open again. DBMM rules with Ancient armies from 500 BC to 476 AD facing off. www.corkgaming.com has more details

And that’s not all!!!
    We’ve got a return of the ever popular speedpainting and the Emerald Dragon painting competitions.

Over the weekend our special guest Jervis Johnson of GW fame will be available to talk to and show off whatever he’s managed to “borrow” from the GW studio for the weekend.

Last year Jervis brought several very rare GW items for the charity auction, pride of place was the very large design book for the Brettonian’s. So if you’re a GW fan be sure to come along to the charity auction and see what he’s got this year.

And how much is this gonna cost I hear you say
    Ticket Costs

€20 for weekend ticket,
    €12 for a day
    €10 for wargames for weekend
    €7 for a day

Pre-booking is available for clubs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

how involved are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭themurphyfella

phonchoman wrote: »
    how involved are you?

How much does it matter?

I'm part of the club that runs the GW related wargames for the last few years. At the moment I'm up to my proverbials in styrofoam and plaster working on extra terrain. On the weekend I wont be playing in the GW tournaments as I'll be running the Bloodbowl on the Sunday.

I'll make you a deal, I'll buy you your first pint as long as it's Murphy's ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have left ponchoman's question up since murphy has given a clear answer. I distinctly have an intuitive dislike for where ponchoman is talking his line of questioning and will be keeping a close eye on matters.

Suffice to say, if I see anyone stepping out of line I will take action. And the offending party wont like it.

? whats the problem ? genuine question is posted then nasty remark by moderator...

Listen Lemming, feel free to remove my posts if thats your attitude (with regard to your threat )

:I distinctly have an intuitive dislike for where ponchoman is talking his line of questioning and will be keeping a close eye on matters.

Suffice to say, if I see anyone stepping out of line I will take action. And the offending party wont like it. :

suffice to say, murphys response helped alot of gamers up here decide to actually go to warpcon; but the mods response will not have helped. Generally my questions might not be nicely put but they usually represent a large group of gamers eager to support events and games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

I have emailed organising members from the warpcon website asking about details of the painting competiton.
    Categories, costs, restrictions, & prizes.
    I haven't received <any> response.
    I'm a (miniature) model-maker rather rather than an rpger (due to age i.e. too old/location i.e. middle of nowhere). No interest in the death of imagination that is GW & Golden Demon. Haven't entered a competition in <many> years but fancied rolling out or or two of my recent dioramas. (Manage at best 1 every year & a half or 2).
    Disappointing.

• Advertisement

? whats the problem ? genuine question is posted then nasty remark by moderator...

Listen Lemming, feel free to remove my posts if thats your attitude (with regard to your threat )
    lemming wrote:
    I distinctly have an intuitive dislike for where ponchoman is talking his line of questioning and will be keeping a close eye on matters.

Suffice to say, if I see anyone stepping out of line I will take action. And the offending party wont like it.

suffice to say, murphys response helped alot of gamers up here decide to actually go to warpcon; but the mods response will not have helped. Generally my questions might not be nicely put but they usually represent a large group of gamers eager to support events and games.

I'm sorry. You think that was a "nasty remark"? You really don't get around much do you?

Secondly; What. In. The. Name. Of. F*CK. has a warning issued by an independent moderator on an independent site that is in no way connected to WarpCon got to do with whather or not you (and allegedly others) allegedly decide whether or not to attend WarpCon?

Please. Indulge me. I would very much like to hear a coherent, logical answer to that last question.

And now for the moderator bit. I do not care whom you claim you represent. It makes little odds to the running of this INDEPENDENT forum. I rarely have to moderate this forum, so you will behave on this forum or you will simply not be welcome. I would go so far as to suggest that by your own admission of inability to be socially civil with people that the people whom you allegedly claim to represent find someone to represent them who can phrase questions in a civil manner.

DonalB wrote: »
    I have emailed organising members from the warpcon website asking about details of the painting competiton.
    I'm a (miniature) model-maker rather rather than an rpger (due to age i.e. too old/location i.e. middle of nowhere). No interest in the death of imagination that is GW & Golden Demon. Haven't entered a competition in <many> years but fancied rolling out or or two of my recent dioramas. (Manage at best 1 every year & a half or 2).
    Disappointing.

Hi DonalB, can't say why you haven't received an answer since I have nothing to do with Warpcon. Maybe send murphy a PM message? I'll send him an email for tomorrow morning as well to check the thread.

I'm sorry. You think that was a "nasty remark"? You really don't get around much do you?

Secondly; What. In. The. Name. Of. F*CK. has a warning issued by an independent moderator on an independent site that is in no way connected to WarpCon got to do with whather or not you (and allegedly others) allegedly decide whether or not to attend WarpCon?

Please. Indulge me. I would very much like to hear a coherent, logical answer to that last question.

And now for the moderator bit. I do not care whom you claim you represent. It makes little odds to the running of this INDEPENDENT forum. I rarely have to moderate this forum, so you will behave on this forum or you will simply not be welcome. I would go so far as to suggest that by your own admission of inability to be socially civil with people that the people whom you allegedly claim to represent find someone to represent them who can phrase questions in a civil manner.

very poor. I feel you are being very abusive and certainly not being civil at all.
    especially since you posted the following....

Personal abuse is not tolerated.

Please keep your conduct civil towards other posters on this forum. You may not agree with what they say and you don't have to like them, but you do have to keep your posts civil. The use of smiley icons does not make abuse any less abusive and we do not care if you claim you were "only joking". Abuse is abuse.

very poor. I feel you are being very abusive and certainly not being civil at all.
    especially since you posted the following....

You missed the parts about reporting posts, feedback, and challenging moderation in-thread.

You, sir, may have three weeks off. One for each. Oh, and a forth week since you obviously read the rules and didn't take heed of them.

Incidentally, you missed the bit about "personal" abuse. You can disagree with someone. If you resort to name calling either directly or by innuendo, then it's "personal" abuse.

Disappointing.

Hi Donal,
    Apologies if you've had any issues getting a response on this. warpconwargames@gmail.com is the address for the person taking care of this and as of this morning there is no email from you in there.

Your query came up at the club meeting on Thursday and an answer was given to the person raising the question, unfortunately that answer sosen't seem to have made it back to you in timely fashion.

Short story Long, Here are the painting categories.

There are 2 categories over 18 and under 18. We'll hand out certificates for notable entries and we've been promised prize support for first place in each category.

Last year was the first time the painting comp was back at Warpcon in far too long and we got a decent turn out 30+ entries. Judging by the level of interest in the painting competition in Realms (local cork gamestore) during the year there's a lot of good local painters knocking around so expect some tough competition.

We didn't get any diorama entries last year so I'm looking forward to seeing your pieces.

Jimmy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

"Hi Donal,
    Apologies if you've had any issues getting a response on this. warpconwargames@gmail.com is the address for the person taking care of this and as of this morning there is no email from you in there.

Your query came up at the club meeting on Thursday and an answer was given to the person raising the question, unfortunately that answer sosen't seem to have made it back to you in timely fashion.

Short story Long, Here are the painting categories.

There are 2 categories over 18 and under 18. We'll hand out certificates for notable entries and we've been promised prize support for first place in each category.

Last year was the first time the painting comp was back at Warpcon in far too long and we got a decent turn out 30+ entries. Judging by the level of interest in the painting competition in Realms (local cork gamestore) during the year there's a lot of good local painters knocking around so expect some tough competition.

We didn't get any diorama entries last year so I'm looking forward to seeing your pieces.

Jimmy[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jimmy, appreciate the response. Any idea on cost? I haven't def decided yet for other reasons, but: ok to enter on the Sunday? I don't like leaving my stuff, sticky/poky fingers etc.

• Advertisement

"Hi Donal,
    Thanks Jimmy, appreciate the response. Any idea on cost? I haven't def decided yet for other reasons, but: ok to enter on the Sunday? I don't like leaving my stuff, sticky/poky fingers etc.

I was sure I had that here with me. I'll have to do some checking. IIRC it was either 2 euro or 5 euro an entry.

There's no problem entering on Sunday morning. For obvious reasons we want the models on display for a few hours if we can.

There's a strict hands off policy for any entries and we'll have a troll on guard at all times. We've no wish to hand back an entry in anything other than the condition we received it in

Jimmy

FYI
    Anyone coming to play in the Fantasy or 40K tournaments can send their armylist to Warpconwargames at gmail.com for pre checking. It'd be lots easier if the lists are sent sooner rather than later :D

The penalty for an illegal list is very severe. If you go 2 games with ANY mistake you could start game 3 at -16 points.

The lists that have been prechecked so far have mostly been fine but there have been enough genuine mistakes to make the warning justified.

We've had club members on the wrong end of silly mistakes at GT's and we're doing all we can to avoid that.

For anyone who is able to make it down for Friday night we'll be doing pre-checks and "night before con" assistance then. If he wasn't off in distant lands I'm sure Phil would be the role model for that session. He finished "painting" his coffe cup shaped drop-pods about 5 seconds before his first game at the Irish GT. If they hadn't been in reserves they'd still have been wet hitting the table:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

And I thought I was bad only finishing my horned ones yesterday!

Got a bit of good news bad news.

Good news - We will have the new lizardman armylist and stegadon sprues on display.

Bad news - Jervis has had to cancel.
    We tried to get a last minute sub from the rest of the studio team but it wasn't possible in the time frame

The following items will be on sale in the charity Auction
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]A copy of the original, 2nd edition Imperial Guard Codex (collectors item!), signed by Rick Priestley.
      [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial][/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]A 54mm Judge Dredd Citadel Miniature from the late eighties [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Dragon Magazine no 10, from 1977, including the free game ‘Snits Smashing’ by Tom Wham [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Strategic Review Vol II no 2, the last issue of SR before it turned into Dragon Magazine, with several articles on D&D by Gary Gygax [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]And for the comic collectors, X-Men 108, from 1977, the first issue drawn by John Byrne![/FONT]

Feedback :Good gaming overall imho & high standard, however there definatly were some cheesy/WAAC-ish lists out there which kinda spoiled it a little considering its not a tournament. But there's nothing that can be done about that.

Recommendations :
    shoot the guy announcing the xbox games, :mad:
    shoot the larp-ers wandering around and 'hear-ye'-ing from the balcony and maybe stick more to time limit at 4pm the games weren't stopped which was 3hrs after the start limit! More terrain would have been good, the '2 trees 2 hills' with the clear middle field only serves to help the bolt thrower/dragon/cavalry type tourney armies, but still the amount was reasonable considering the size of the event.

The staff were excellent and very helpful and friendly ;)

Phototoxin wrote: »
    Feedback :Good gaming overall imho & high standard, however there definatly were some cheesy/WAAC-ish lists out there which kinda spoiled it a little considering its not a tournament. But there's nothing that can be done about that.

Glad you enjoyed it.

WAAC? win at all costs right?
    Could you PM me to have a chat about that one? I want to get people's feedback but I'd like to keep the what's a cheese army discussion out of this thread if I can.

Quick semantics thing.
    It was a tournament.
    It what it wasn't is a GW GT. If that makes sense.
    No best general award and 33% of the overall score going for things not related to winning games is intended to put more emphasis on coming along to play and have fun but at root it's still a competitive tournament.
    Phototoxin wrote: »
    Recommendations :
    shoot the guy announcing the xbox games, :mad:
    shoot the larp-ers wandering around and 'hear-ye'-ing from the balcony and maybe stick more to time limit at 4pm the games weren't stopped which was 3hrs after the start limit!
    More terrain would have been good, the '2 trees 2 hills' with the clear middle field only serves to help the bolt thrower/dragon/cavalry type tourney armies, but still the amount was reasonable considering the size of the event.

The staff were excellent and very helpful and friendly ;)

OK, all but the last one we can work on for next year :D

Final results for 40K.
    We had a few people dropping out on Sunday for Apocalypse games and catching lifts.
    The Club list is included for the purposes of inter club slagging and post -con trash talk. The DGG put on a good showing in the places but WAC honour was maintained by Mike "cheesey" Brown himself.

Questions and comments to the usual address

Unstickied to allow it drift.

Advertisement