Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

terrier

Options
  • 15-12-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

about 2 months ago a little terrier followed my dad home.
    we did the usual, posters, enquired in vets and nobody rang or claimed the dog so we kept him.

we have a collie/sheepdog already and they get rowdy.
    the two of them cant be in the house at the same time as they just fight altough i think its playfighting.

now the old dog stays outside all the time and the new one is in all the time. he also has some bad habits that we cant get rid of, he gets up on the table, chews EVERYTHING in sight!!

how can we beat these habits and make the dogs get along... just like on the dog whisperer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are either of them or both of them neutered?
    Big difference between fighting and playfighting, if they are just playfighting then although they tend to knock over stuff at least it won't be as hard to get them to live together.
    One thing is to wear the two of them out with plenty of walks so they haven't the energy to muck about as much, if it's serious actual fighting then that's another kettle of fish.
    Perhaps someone else can suggest something or try a dog behaviourist there's a list of them on irishanimals.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

well for starters, the old dog is probably jealous seeing as he has been shoved outside and the new dog is now getting the most attention.

if they aren't neutered, that needs to be done.

try taking them to neutral places for walks i.e. the beach etc.

bring them both in to the house and keep them both on leads until they seem to be used to each other and then let them mix.

feed them both at the same time, fuss over them equally. take away toys until they are getting along well to prevent fighting.

as GPR said, there is a difference between playing/playfighting and seriously attacking each other, which is it? If it's only playfighting then you have no problem really, just take them for plenty of exersize to wear them out and play games where you are in control i.e. fetch etc.

Advertisement