Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test Drive

Options
  • 15-12-2008 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I'm trying to sell my car privately at the moment and I am just wondering if someone comes to drive it whats the story with insurance??? Who is responsible me or them??

Also should I ask to see some kind of insurance cover and/or a driving licence??

What is the best way to accept payment??

Anything else I should know???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Insurance, make sure they bring there insurance cert with them and make sure they are covered to drive your car. In the end if they crash it, your foooked. Don't be shy in asking, if they won't tell you, you know where to send them lol.

As for payment, a bank draft, outside a bank and put it into your account while he/she is there just to be sure. That's an ideal situation.
    If not, a bank draft should be grand. Don't take cash in the evening when banks are closed, and some one know's you have a few K cash in your house.

After that, best of luck with the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

when a buyer rings you tell them on the phone you will need to see their insurance, as most people dont carry a policy with them, in most cases if you still have cover on the car and the buyer has cover on his car, he would be insured to drive yours
    if there is no insurance on your car take a good look at his policy to be sure his covered to test drive it
    be careful with a bankers draft outside of banking hours, there are scams with forged drafts,
    i prefer cash when selling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Lost of possible buyers wont be covered by there own insurance to drive your car as some may not even have a car already and others may only be allowed drive there own car on their policy. Even if their policy allows other car driving, they are only 3rd party on your car so if they cause a crash, your car would not be paid for.
    A good solution might be (if insurers will do this) to get them to cover anybody over 25 with full license for a couple of months. This way you would know you were safe.
    I would take cash payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 White Wolf

Thanks all for the replies!!

Next thing is actually getting it sold:rolleyes:.................

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can ask the buyer to temporarily switch his comprehensive insurance over to your car. Most insurers don't charge for this. This way you'd be covered for any damages to your car or to third parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

Or you could arrange to meet them on private property for a test drive. If you know anybody with a mansion or 300 acre estate you're sorted...:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    Or you could arrange to meet them on private property for a test drive. If you know anybody with a mansion or 300 acre estate you're sorted...:)

And then they crash you car and you've nothing to come back on. Bad advice lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

And then they crash you car and you've nothing to come back on. Bad advice lol

Ha yep, but unless they transfer their fully comp insurance (if they have fully comp) that would be the case anyway. Don't know if many people who would go to the hassle for a 10min drive. Maybe for a 20k+ car?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Buffman wrote: »
    Ha yep, but unless they transfer their fully comp insurance (if they have fully comp) that would be the case anyway. Don't know if many people who would go to the hassle for a 10min drive. Maybe for a 20k+ car?

3 grand is still three grand no matter what way you put it. I'm the one selling, if you don't have insurance to drive my car, well you know where to go. No matter what value the car has, it's in no way wise to leave anyone drive it uninsured, for the damage they could cause to themselves, you, others around you, property etc. etc.

Advertisement