Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A TV In The North

Options
  • 15-12-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Now that sterling is at an all time low and the vat rate is way cheaper in the North my question is do UK TV sets work in Ireland or what is the difference in them, was thinking of buying a new TV but if it wont work here its pointless.

Anyone here ever get one from the North.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Now that sterling is at an all time low and the vat rate is way cheaper in the North my question is do UK TV sets work in Ireland or what is the difference in them, was thinking of buying a new TV but if it wont work here its pointless.

Anyone here ever get one from the North.

No, but I brought mine home with me when I moved back from the UK a few years ago and it's still working fine!

F

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Firstly, depends what you want it for. The main difference is ROI tvs have VHF and UHF tuners while UK have UHF only. This affects some people as it depends on you get your rte from an aerial. If you only have sky or upc/ntl/chours, then it doesn't affect you at all as you don't use the tuner. Furthermore, things are changing here nbext year where terestrial tv is starting using mpeg4 which most tvs don't have yet.
    If you are looking at tvs, try richersounds.ie, they deliver to the south for 20pound for boards members and i found them excellent (I'm in COrk and too far to travel to save a few pound!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No problem buying in the north at all. In fact I bought a tv only last week there. They will ask for a postcode, just find one in the phonebook and your set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

TheDriver wrote: »
    If you only have sky or upc/ntl/chours, then it doesn't affect you at all as you don't use the tuner.

You use the VHF tuner if you are using analogue UPC cable. I have digital UPC but use Analogue UPC for the other tvs in the house. If there was no VHF tuner on my other tvs, I could not do this.

Advertisement