Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake disc

Options
  • 15-12-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, iv recently just started hearing a funny noise on the front right wheel, brought it to a mechanic and he said it was the brake disc, that it had a little lip on it..

any idea how much it should cost to fix?
    i also needed a hose fixed as well and due to stories i heard about the mechanic after i left it in, am trying to make sure i dont get robbed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you've heard stories, go somewhere else.

It will require the both discs being replaced, and if the brake pads are nearly worn it could be wise to do them too. It all depends on the car and the garage.

Edit: God I used bad grammar and spelling in that post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Op get your pads done aswel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

your mechanic sounds like a idiot, is the lip around the top of the disc??

Is the noise coming while breaking, what type of a noise is it?

it could be a cv or a wheel bearing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Halfrauds wrote: »
    your mechanic sounds like a idiot, is the lip around the top of the disc??

Surely since they are circular, there'd be symetrical wear. Unless the disc was actually damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

Its a constant noise, i thought it was wheel bearing and mentioned this to him but when he called back he said it was the brake disc.
    its an audi a3,also thinking about oil change but worried about huge cost just before xmas! :(

• Advertisement

Surely since they are circular, there'd be symetrical wear. Unless the disc was actually damaged.

no because the pad actually doesnt brake on 100% of the disc there is like 2-3mm at the top that it doesnt come in contact with, no the disc could be warped, but youd want to be thrashing the car for that:D

Its a constant noise, i thought it was wheel bearing and mentioned this to him but when he called back he said it was the brake disc.
    its an audi a3,also thinking about oil change but worried about huge cost just before xmas! :(

could be the disc but id say, since its constant its most likely somthing along the driveshaft/hub tbh.

Why dont you change the oil yourself?? its not rocket science as some would have you believe, youll do a 6month service for e30.

see if the disc fixes the issue, after all i havnt heard/seen the car and the mechanic is a mechanic, i just like to play with old cars:D.

If the disc doesnt bring it else where.

if you still have the car, check the cv boots, there is one at the gearbox and one behing the hub(near disc) see if there are any holes in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

just to update, he said he has finished the work and on the phone he told me that the car was cutting out because of a loose hose so he fixed that and cleaned the throttle body.
    Hes also changed the brake pads saying this was the front wheel noise problem...€471
    This seem right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it was a small lip on the disc, it most likely didnt need replacing. Worn pads would cause this noise once they get low. Did he actually replace the discs or just the pads?Thats expensive even for discs & pads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

just to update, he said he has finished the work and on the phone he told me that the car was cutting out because of a loose hose so he fixed that and cleaned the throttle body.
    Hes also changed the brake pads saying this was the front wheel noise problem...€471
    This seem right?

Doesnt really matter now, you agreed to the work, its done and you'll have to pay it.

It might or might not have been the issu, we'll never know as the disks are no longer in the car.

• Advertisement

This seem right?

report the ****, you only wanted brakes done, he sounds like a cowboy.

unless youve a ferrari, brake pads and discs should only cost max e120,

labour is about 2 hrs if he knows what hes doing, so at a total max e300(which is still a rip off tbh)

hes making money on the labour and the parts, scumbags.:mad:

is he a member of a SIMI type thing?

ask him how he cleaned the throttle body??
    what hose was loose??was it replaced?
    Look and see if pads and disc were changed.

if he told you he used redex or somthing for the throttle body laugh at him and refuse to pay!

Advertisement