Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I am due to move soon and have been (gleefully) keeping an eye on number of apartments on daft and watching the rents fall by 100-200. Many are on the market for a few months now, but there is one that really want that is 100euro over budget (don't think it has been reduced at all yet). It may very well fall without me haggling, but it could likewise be let at the price it is at now. Should I go to view it and make my offer then and there, or should I say I'll think about it and wait and see if it lies empty? Has anybody here managed to get a redution and if so how??? I'm looking for 100 off a 1300 starting price (have seen similar in same area drop by this much). I'm a bit embarassed in case they say no way you crazy cow, but then again, God loves a trier right?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The worst they can say is "no". Give them a reason to give you a discount "I'm a good tenant and pay on time" is a starts.

Having a cheque book / wad of cash in your hand helps too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Jamie-b wrote:
    I'm a bit embarassed in case they say no way you crazy cow, but then again, God loves a trier right?!?!

The Jamie-b that is you who is a non-confrontational nice person is not the same as the Jamie-b that goes up to them and negotiates a reduced rent. You can be as hard ass as you want when negotiating and then go back to being yourself afterwards.
    Victor wrote: »
    Having a cheque book / wad of cash in your hand helps too.

That's your answer to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Say you like the place, but point out that other rents in the area are cheaper, ask the landlord/agent what this apartment/house has that the others don't to make it dearer, when they can't answer then you have your starting point to bargain. Just make sure you have a few other places viewed, or at least looked at online... then if they give you an example you can say..."Well actually, I seen a place with that and it's cheaper".....

Just be poilite but firm, tell them you like the place but your not will to pay more than X per month. All they can say is no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Shelli wrote: »
    Say you like the place, but point out that other rents in the area are cheaper, ask the landlord/agent what this apartment/house has that the others don't to make it dearer, when they can't answer then you have your starting point to bargain. Just make sure you have a few other places viewed, or at least looked at online... then if they give you an example you can say..."Well actually, I seen a place with that and it's cheaper".....

Just be poilite but firm, tell them you like the place but your not will to pay more than X per month. All they can say is no?

That's it in a nutshell. You're in the driving seat. Why be embarrassed?:)

Advertisement