Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does a cumann do?

• 15-12-2008 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi everybody! I heard there is such a thing called a cumann, who, to my understanding, talk to people in their aera and help solve their problems. However, I was also told that they just try to get people from their political parties elected in the local elections. Also is it a full time job or just a volunteer thing? I'm very confused and any info would be very helpful.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its basically the lowest link in a political party.. A group of guys and girls who get together usually voluntary and setup a committe and membership base for a particular party. They get together and help people out on various issues, help councillors get elected, have regular public meetings with various TDs etc. They often setup within colleges but also outside of that. I know WIT has a FG, FF and SF cumann. There is at least a local FG & FF branch.

Advertisement