Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome's rise to empire

Options
  • 15-12-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Anyone done this module before? It's part of the 1st year Greek and Roman civilization course.

I've been to every lecture and every tutorial and still have no idea what to study :eek: There's a huge amount of information and I can't figure out how most of it ties together.

Anybody else in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I did a similar one in first year, it had a different name though. The Gracchi were a major element of the one I did, look up the past exam papers for an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

How'd it go? I was so upset beforehand, despite the fact that I had studied so hard. It was without doubt the most difficult module I did...and it was an elective!!! Think I might've scraped a pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I found it my most difficult module too by far! I think the amount of stuff covered coupled with the extremely detailed notes of 1 lecturer, and the completely non-existant notes of the 2nd lecturer made it so tough. Not to mention the fact that I found it very hard to follow what was going on once we switched lecturers for the last month or so.

It was my last exam though, 4 weeks holidays for Christmas! :D I'll worry about the results next year!!

Who were the lecturers? There are no bad lecturers in the school of classics IMO.

Alexander Thein - can't say anything really bad about him at all. really knows his stuff, his notes are very thorough, but the topics of the lectures seemed to jump around and I found it difficult to link up lecture 1 to lecture 2, which somehow links into lecture 3... etc. Just a nit-pick from the point of view of a first year doing classical studies for the first time.

Luca Asmonti - I think this is his first year in UCD? Not sure. I believe he's Italian, and at the risk of sounding like a total arse I found it very hard to follow what he was saying in lectures. His lectures depended on following what he was saying too, because the powerpoints were mainly just quotes from our books, and in total contrast to Alexander he provided no notes whatsoever. It was a dramatic contrast to suddenly switch between the totally different teaching styles half way through the first semester of first year. I would have expected them to have come to some kind of arrangement where they'd both be handling the course in similar ways to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I did this once and never went to a single lecture and managed a pass. So it's not impossible even if you think you;re screwed. ^^

Thein is a whizz at the old Roman Archaeology. He will always tie it in to the relevant history of the era. Luca is a really nice guy, it is his first year but he is apparently a fair marker and does not go in for the kill like some do. The same can be said of Alexander.
    I'd say the myth of the human head was brought in and possibly the chariot myth and how they tie into Roman hegemony and the buildings on the Capitolium. Well that is off the top of my head anyway. I got an A- in that module:)

I covered the human head / terracotta chariot / terminus all in relation to the capitolium in Thein's section. Lets hope your right!! :P

Advertisement