Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving - Personal Breathalyzer

Options
  • 15-12-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Hi, with the Christmas party season upon us has anyone given consideration to purchasing their own breathalyzer for checking the situation the morning after a skinful of beer?

Like a lot of people on here I need my license for my job (and sanity) & think that this might be worth while.

http://www.alcologic.ie/

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Hi, with the Christmas party season upon us has anyone given consideration to purchasing their own breathalyzer for checking the situation the morning after a skinful of beer?

Like a lot of people on here I need my license for my job (and sanity) & think that this might be worth while.

http://www.alcologic.ie/

Opinions?

I always tend to stop drinking around 12 hours before I intend on driving, I have always felt very sketchy about personal breath testers. Maybe someone can throw some light on the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

thought about getting one but decided not to as even if im over the limit the next morning i still have to get to work so id rather not know
    an dont bother with the drink drive bull****e comments lads cos i dont drive to or from the pub but like most people i drive to work etc and this morning after crap is a money spinner not a safety thing
    sorry for ranting on your thread!!!!!!

JackFrosty wrote: »
    thought about getting one but decided not to as even if im over the limit the next morning i still have to get to work so id rather not know
    an dont bother with the drink drive bull****e comments lads cos i dont drive to or from the pub but like most people i drive to work etc and this morning after crap is a money spinner not a safety thing

nuf said :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So long as your driving is better than your grammar I couldn't give a fúck what you do.

why would my grammer bother you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

and this morning after crap is a money spinner not a safety thing
    Whatever you say, Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

He has a point. I had to read your post twice..
    if i was to type like this constantly without the use of periods commas full stops or capital letters it would get very tedious and difficult to read if you dont have full stops or capitals the whole paragraph becomes a big long sentance that can be irritating

ah yes, point, taken and understood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

wouldn't trust them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leave the car at work. Get taxi home and a lift in the next morning.

• Advertisement

Leave the car at work. Get taxi home and a lift in the next morning.

This is a good idea, but not an easy option for us country folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would get one if I thought it was reliable - for €100 it would want to be too.

"Tests show that Alcologics results did not differ by more than 0.001% when tested against the official Irish Gardai breathalyser"

Daylight doesn't mean instant sobriety, but no doubt I will be told to get off my high horse.

At least your safe from a licence suspension on a high horse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

It seems abit pricey but would be worth it if you regularly drive the next morning after a few drinks the previous night. I have often wondered how long it takes for sobriety after a particularly heavey bender. 1pm? 2pm? who knows!

It seems abit pricey but would be worth it if you regularly drive the next morning after a few drinks the previous night. I have often wondered how long it takes for sobriety after a particularly heavey bender. 12pm, 2pm who knows!

Oh yeah - I would have no problem with the price, but only if it really is a quality kit. Can't find any reviews online for that one yet.

It seems abit pricey but would be worth it if you regularly drive the next morning after a few drinks the previous night. I have often wondered how long it takes for sobriety after a particularly heavey bender. 1pm? 2pm? who knows!

I have heard that it takes about 1 hour per drink consumed to rid your body of the alcohol. So if you have had 5 drinks then it will take 5 hours to fully sober up.

(1 drink = 12 oz. beer = 4 oz glass of wine = 1.5 oz liquor)

owlwink wrote: »
    I have heard that it takes about 1 hour per drink consumed to rid your body of the alcohol. So if you have had 5 drinks then it will take 5 hours to fully sober up.

There are just so many variables though - body weight, food eaten etc that you could easily be a couple of hours out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This is a good idea, but not an easy option for us country folk.

The "country" argument does my head in.

If someone is stupid enough to go driving the next day after a heavy session I feel no pity for them if they are caught. In fact, I'm delighted for them because it will mean another extremely careless "driver" off the road.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The "country" argument does my head in.

If someone is stupid enough to go driving the next day after a heavy session I feel no pity for them if they are caught. In fact, I'm delighted for them because it will mean another extremely careless "driver" off the road.

I second that...

Mate, it takes 1 hour PER UNIT. A pint is 2 units so 10 pints = 20 hours.

The whole next day you are over the limit if you like heavy sessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

this info comes from the Alcologic site..
    Drink
    Brand
    Time to leave body
    4% beers and ciders Heineken and Guinness 2 hours per pint 250ml – 330ml bottles of 5.5% beerBecks, Bud, and Stella 2 hours per bottle 275ml – 330ml AlcopopsBacardi Breezer Smirnoff ice2 Hours per bottle 35ml shot Spirit Whiskey, Vodka, Bacardi 1.5 hours per drinkA70ml double isWhiskey, Vodka, Bacardi3 hours per drink250ml Glass of Wine (15% alcohol )Wine 4 Hours per drink
    Consider this:
    bullet3.jpg
    Drink 5 pints of Heineken and you can’t drive for at least 10 hours from finishing your last pint. If you finish at midnight, you aren’t safe until after 10AM the next day.
    bullet3.jpg
    Drink four 70ml double of spirits you can’t drive for 13 hours – that’s 1pm the next day if you drank your last double at midnight.
    bullet3.jpg
    Drink just three 250ml glasses of wine - and you can’t drive for 13 hours - 1pm the next day if you finish at midnight.

So an average male might finish drinking at 2am and have 8-10 pints and some shorts - according to the above that writes off driving for nearly all the next day!

Mate, it takes 1 hour PER UNIT. A pint is 2 units so 10 pints = 20 hours.

The whole next day you are over the limit if you like heavy sessions

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442019

lol

:rolleyes:

this info comes from the Alcologic site..

So an average male might finish drinking at 2am and have 8-10 pints and some shorts - according to the above that writes off driving for nearly all the next day!

I'm nearly tempted to buy one just to test some of those figures out! Does more body weight mean that it takes more or less time to sober up?
    lol
    :rolleyes:

Fascinating stuff.

LIGHTNING wrote: »

None of them seem to be any where near the same price range as the one linked to in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Can you please explain what is the money spinner here?

eoin wrote: »
    None of them seem to be any where near the same price range as the one linked to in this thread.

If I was to get one I would be really iffy about getting a cheap one.

If I was to get one I would be really iffy about getting a cheap one.

Nah, looks like they're not worth a shìte. Like I said, I'd definitely get one for 100, but only if it was accurate and not just an expensive drinking game.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    Nah, looks like they're not worth a shìte. Like I said, I'd definitely get one for 100, but only if it was accurate and not just an expensive drinking game.

Thoughts drift towards car scene in Superbad.:D

Advertisement