Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving - Personal Breathalyzer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Everyone should know their limits and a bit of common sense should also be considered.
    If you have 10 pints and shots, of course your not able to drive at 8am. (or for most of the next day either)

No 2 people are the same, a bad hangover usually constitutes a lot of alcohol in your system - go figure.

As for the country thing "annoying" another poster, can you tell me how, in a country (outside the capital) that there is very little public transport, is the op going to get to work?

And no, I do not agree with using that as an excuse either, but it is a very real problem that is affecting rural life, fact.

While I do not think the morning after bagging in a money making racket, it is a nanny state now. And its a balls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

cashmni1 wrote: »
    Everyone should know their limits and a bit of common sense should also be considered.
    If you have 10 pints and shots, of course your not able to drive at 8am. (or for most of the next day either)

No 2 people are the same, a bad hangover usually constitutes a lot of alcohol in your system - go figure.

As for the country thing "annoying" another poster, can you tell me how, in a country (outside the capital) that there is very little public transport, is the op going to get to work?

And no, I do not agree with using that as an excuse either, but it is a very real problem that is affecting rural life, fact.

While I do not think the morning after bagging in a money making racket, it is a nanny state now. And its a balls!!

Road Death Stats also indicate that it's not working...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Which, drinking or not being allowed to drive drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is so crazy, it might just work - drink less / stop drinking earlier on a work night.

To me, Nanny State means protecting people from themselves, not from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Anan1 wrote: »
    Which, drinking or not being allowed to drive drunk?
    :)
    That made me laugh. I needed that.
    Anyway, the problem is transport availability.

Maybe we should have drink driving school for those who can't drive drunk properly. They could add it to the test. :D

• Advertisement

:)
    That made me laugh. I needed that.
    Anyway, the problem is transport availability.

Maybe we should have drink driving school for those who can't drive drunk properly. They could add it to the test. :D

I can already see the massive waiting lists.

At least it would be less stressfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Just to make it clear, i do not agree with drink driving!
    Anyone who gets drunk in a pub, Then gets into their car and drives it should be banned from driving.
    Now ive never seen anyone get outa bed drunk the morning after the night before!
    yes you may be over the limit but does that really make you unfit to drive?
    Some people maybe but surely not everyone, its not possible as we are all built different.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

eoin wrote: »
    I'm nearly tempted to buy one just to test some of those figures out!

I am also tempted. if i do get one il test it against the Garda device ( few friends in traffic corp) and post the results although i am not sure if the garda roadside breathalyzer gives a reading rather than just a traffic light system.

JackFrosty wrote: »
    Now ive never seen anyone get outa bed drunk the morning after the night before!

I usually see two .. when i look in the mirror!:D

Just to make it clear, i do not agree with drink driving!
    Anyone who gets drunk in a pub, Then gets into their car and drives it should be banned from driving.
    Some people maybe but surely not everyone, its not possible as we are all built different.

I have woken up drunk before...

• Advertisement

I am also tempted. if i do get one il test it against the Garda device ( few friends in traffic corp) and post the results although i am not sure if the garda roadside breathalyzer gives a reading rather than just a traffic light system.

They give a reading. I was tested last week and I asked the garda could I see the screen.

What sort of reading is on the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I certainly have seen people drunk the next day - as I said earlier, daylight doesn't mean you are sober. Just because you're not giddy and jumping around like the night before doesn't mean that you're OK to drive.

That would be interesting - last time I was breathalysed, I could see the readout. I'd just be worried that these things can do more harm than good by giving a false sense of security.

What sort of reading is on the screen?

It just said 0.0 and then said NONE on the right hand side. I assume this is alcohol content.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

this info comes from the Alcologic site..

So an average male might finish drinking at 2am and have 8-10 pints and some shorts - according to the above that writes off driving for nearly all the next day!

By that logic you don't process any alcohal until you finish your last pint. Ever wonder what you're doing every time you have a p*ss in the pub?

By that logic you don't process any alcohal until you finish your last pint. Ever wonder what you're doing every time you have a p*ss in the pub?

The stats available arealways really vague.

Did i say processing only begins at 2am? no. Obviously the breakdown of alcohol begins during the first drink!

so it is possible to have a few and be fit to drive the morning after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Yes, the answer is in the question.

As for the Country thing, I live 40 miles from work, they is "public" transport available if I want to leave the house 2 hours after I get home from work. So for me the answer is simple, I don't realy on these Breath testers, I tend stop drinking after 2 or 3 pints and no later than 10pm, school night and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just for the record I don't condone drink driving. The intention was not to have one of these devices in the car to check myself after having two pints & then drive on.
    It was specifically for those morning after (or mid-afternoon after) driving moments. I have read/heard stories where people have been over the limit after lunch time from the night before.
    I had a heavy night out one particular night over this summer (June Bank Holiday weekend I think) and & drove the car at about 7pm the next evening, I was still tired. I came upon a Garda checkpoint, even though it was 7pm the next day I was bricking it. OK I passed, it was also the first breathalyser test I had done too, and I've been driving nearly 17 years.

The reason I specifically looked at this unit (Alcologic) is because it is not a cheap EBay one & they offer a calibration service. Local Pharmacies will be stocking them too. Surely that alone puts it ahead of anything on EBay? Remember even the Garda ones are followed up with a blood/urine samples, they are only "indicator" tools.

I do take the point on getting a false sense of security from these things but look at it from another point of view, if you use it & it tells you that you are still over the limit & therefore prevents you from driving then surely that's a good thing? That would be the intented use, i.e. not tot use it as a "green" light but as a "red" light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

not tot use it as a "green" light but as a "red" light.

Well said. I think that's the best argument i've heard for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Cool. I found my stocking filler.

All i need now is a few cases of beer, pen and paper.

let the experiments begin !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There was a piece on the telly (BBC, can't remember what program, maybe Watchdog) the other night that I only caught the tail end of, where they tested a number of these devices and showed that they were all, to put it bluntly, crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Did i say processing only begins at 2am? no. Obviously the breakdown of alcohol begins during the first drink!

Yes, say I kick off at 8 pm, drink till 2 am, and consume 10 pints and 4 whiskeys, that's 24 hours worth of booze, so I amn't fit to drive until 8pm next day.

In fact, amn't even fit to get out of bed until 8 pm next day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

On the whole drink driving thing I think there are 2 schools of thought. The high horse, when your over your over and thats it and the second one is when you leave the pub gee-eyed and drive you are a bad person but when you have 4/5 pints the night before and may or may not be still technically over the limit you are probably ok to drive in the morning. I know mostly people who argue the latter. The key difference is intention. In neither case did the person intend to drive over the limit.
    I also know people who dont fit into either category and still drink and drive whenever they feel like it but these people arent as numerous as years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Zube wrote: »
    Yes, say I kick off at 8 pm, drink till 2 am, and consume 10 pints and 4 whiskeys, that's 24 hours worth of booze, so I amn't fit to drive until 8pm next day.

In fact, amn't even fit to get out of bed until 8 pm next day :D

say if you knocked the whiskeys on the head and had 6 pints (over say 4 hours?) finishing drinking at half past midnight and needed to drive to work at 8:30.? You wake up at 8am and no hangover, would you then think I must not drive to work or go 'sure I am grand' ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Well Lads - I have the breathalyser linked in the first post and I find it great.
    It can be really surprising how much over the limit you can be the next day and for how long.
    After one session I was not under the legal limit until 9pm the following day.
    But there are a lot of factors like what you drank, how much sleep, body size, what you ate.

As far as accuracy goes I can vouch for it, we were out for a meal and my mate who was driving had two pints and a bottle of beer during the course of the meal. We went to the car and he blew a zero on my breathalyser, we met a checkpoint 2 miles down the road, he was bagged and blew a zero with the guards.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Well Lads - I have the breathalyser linked in the first post and I find it great.
    It can be really surprising how much over the limit you can be the next day and for how long.
    After one session I was not under the legal limit until 9pm the following day.
    But there are a lot of factors like what you drank, how much sleep, body size, what you ate.

As far as accuracy goes I can vouch for it, we were out for a meal and my mate who was driving had two pints and a bottle of beer during the course of the meal. We went to the car and he blew a zero on my breathalyser, we met a checkpoint 2 miles down the road, he was bagged and blew a zero with the guards.

I would feel so dodgy in that situation.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Oh we were sh1tting it all right!
    And my mate had the cheek to say to the ban garda, "I'll blow into yours if you blow into mine" :)

• Advertisement

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Oh we were sh1tting it all right!
    And my mate had the cheek to say to the ban garda, "I'll blow into yours if you blow into mine" :)

That is hilarious.

Advertisement