Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving - Personal Breathalyzer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Oh we were sh1tting it all right!
    And my mate had the cheek to say to the ban garda, "I'll blow into yours if you blow into mine" :)

The Bannas are meant to be worse than the lads too!

I have ordered my one anyway. I'll have to do a few trials against my mate's (Garda) "real deal" equipment.

Just on mik_da_man's post, it is strange that you got a zero reading even though alcohol was consumed. Also my mate (mentioned above) tells me that you should wait 20 minutes after the last drink of alcohol is consumed before carrying out a test. He was also slightly dubious about me buying a breathalyser, then again he doesn't drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you think you need to check with one of these things, chances are even if you're under the limit you're not fit to drive.

If you're questioning your own safety to drive, or if you're ignorant enough to think a reading of .69 of below makes you okay to drive then leave the car at home. Arrange a lift with a neighbour and return the favour later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

dodgyme wrote: »
    On the whole drink driving thing I think there are 2 schools of thought. The high horse, when your over your over and thats it

I wouldn't call it the high horse my self, more the common sense approach. I don't have the figures, but Drink Driving is the cause of 2 many accidents, therefore the simple approch is to plan ahead. Forgetting about the fact that you could kill someone, what if you did get stopped and were found over the limit, even after doing your own test. You would lose you licence, possibly your job. How many people would still be your friend? Your insurance would go sky high.
    The units the Garda use are calibrated regularly for a reason. Would you get yours calibrated? If calibarated incorrectly would that get you off, don't think so.

Sorry for being negitive about these units, but I would not put my licence at risk because of one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ninty9er wrote: »
    If you think you need to check with one of these things, chances are even if you're under the limit you're not fit to drive.

I don't know - it's very hard to tell the day after, which is why I would be interested. Personally I just don't drink at all if I am driving to dinner, or just going to the pub for a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ninty9er wrote: »

Why leave it to chance if a breathalyzer will tell you if you are over or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Sorry for being negitive about these units, but I would not put my licence at risk because of one of these.

Sorry OldmanMondeo, you are missing the point here, I'm not looking for it to tell me when I can drive, I am looking to use it to tell me when I cannot. A subtle difference. It's for those times when I believe that I am fine but would like to double check. Like the day after a night out.
    At present I would probably just drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

I only heard the add for these this morning on the radio and was wondering about them.

Could you do some detailed tests with some buddies, different size lads etc over a period of time to see how the efects materialize.

It could be also interesting to see if mouthwash has any effect on the readings. Just had a browse through their site and their disclaimer makes an interesting read, based on that I think I'll just carry on and not drive the next day if it was a heavy night.

Disclaimer Page

Disclaimer :
    A.
    The Manufacturer, Retailers and MTC Healthcare A. Ltd., make no warranties, express or implied as to the ability of the device to determine whether a user of this product is legally intoxicated, and MTC Healthcare expressly disclaims any liability for incidental, special, or consequential damages of any nature.
    B.
    Decisions and/or actions based upon the reading of B. this device shall be entirely the person’s own risk.
    C.
    The manufacturer, retailers and MTC Healthcare C. Ltd., make no warranties express or implied that Alcologic™ or any modification or adjustment thereof is a legal protector or evidence or defence against any police or public procedure or judicial or investigative proceedings in any jurisdiction.
    D.
    The manufacturer, retailers and MTC Healthcare D. Ltd., does not warrant the veracity of the readings of the Alcologic™ unit as evidence.
    E.
    The manufacturer, retailers and MTC Healthcare E. Ltd., assumes no responsibility for users who test negative when and later show that they are under the influence of alcohol or are proven to be intoxicated by alcohol
    F.
    This Alcologic™ unit should only be used as F. screening device and may only give an indication as to the possible BAC of the test subject at the exact time of using the Alcologic™ unit. Correlation between breath alcohol content and BAC depends on numerous variables, including temperature and health conditions. A safe BAC reading does not mean that the test subject is not intoxicated to the point where his or her reactions are impaired. The precise correlation of alcohol in a test subject’s blood cannot be determined solely by using a breath alcohol screening device.

THIS DISCLAIMER MUST BE READ IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS AND WARRANTIES.

Advertisement