Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movies and wrestling tie ins

• 15-12-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Seeing as it's quite topical, I thought a good thread might be, what are the best and worst pro-wrestling related or even semi related films excluding the usual documentaries that you have seen?

What was the best and worst acting performance by a wrestler in a mainstream movie?

1. To kick it off, here are some clips. The original 1974 "Wrester" movie starring Vernge Gagne, Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch and a host of wrestling extras including Vince McMahon senior.

Here is a clip from it:

The Wrestler 1974 (I love this clip)

2. Roddy Piper starring in the "They Live":

3. 19 seconds of Hulk in "No holds barred":

4. Dwayne Johnson in "Get Smart":

I am by no means a movie buff but so far, my favourite movie with a wrestling tie in would be "Man on the Moon" starring Jim Carey. I have a feeling the new "Wrestler" film will top it though.

Picking the worst movie with a wrestling tie in is a lot harder as there's more to chose from. I'd go with Cena's movie "The Marine". I heard it was bad but when I eventually saw it, it was 10 times worse than I even imagined. He's far from the only wrestler to be in a stinker of a movie though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I always loved that part in Groundhog Day when Bill Murray gives the newly married couple tickets to Wrestlemania, does that count?:D although it was in 1993 which would have been Wrestlemania 9, poor people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It has to be mentioned: Ready to Rumble

Entertaining movie, but the aftermath was just insane

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

They Live for me,love the punching scene that just goes on....and on.....and on....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

orestes , man, we were trying to forget about that :(

I like my films. Barton Fink's great, shamefully I've not seen Man on the Moon, always meant to....
    Can't wait for Arnofsky's The Wrestler.

When Sylvester Stallone wrote Rocky he also had written a wrestling drama called "Paradise Alley" . I think he sold both of them at the same time or around the same time. I've never seen it, it was made after Rocky
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078056/

Hot Rod Piper starred in a few films. He had one or two with some kickboxercise fella called Billy Blanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Ones which spring to mind would be Randy Savage as "BoneSaw McGraw" in Spiderman:

Big Show's brief appearance in Waterboy, Kevin Nash (who was quite funny), Austin, Goldberg and Khali all in The Longest Yard (2005) (Can ya tell Adam Sandler is a wrestling fan :P)

• Advertisement

Goldberg - Universal Soldier The Return , awful film
    Andre - THe Princess Bride

Another two for ye, I'm on a slow computers, can't do videos atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Another two for ye, I'm on a slow computers, can't do videos atm

Thats a good thing, as usually if i see a thread polluted with youtube videos, i turn back, thats what the video thread is for in my honest opinion.

Surprised nobody mentioned Hogan and Takers parts in Suburban Commando
    And who could ever forget Nash's 30 seconds of acting fame in The Punisher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Andre - THe Princess Bride

A great film!

Of course I think Kevin Nash was (super?) Shredder in one of the TMNT movies.

Bill was in these little beauties :pac:

51GKvF95wML._SL500_AA240_.jpg51RQ68H4FML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hogan's had so many dodgy films. Mr Nanny has him babysit/bodyguard 2kids. The little girl teaches him eitiquette. I think therre's a scene with Hogan in a ballerina outfit dancing!

Thunder in Paradise was a straight to video or TV affair, can't remember. I got it on tape years ago anyway. I'm sure that Jimmy HArt and Knobs was in it.

51MTMCJSCKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51U1vvGF5EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I've not seen either of these.

61XHZCHMZQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51DDH47M16L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have watched this film, but I also think I still have it on tape!
    Carl "where's my career gone" Weathers, Shannon "look at my fake tats" Tweed and Hogan with NWO stuble. It might have beenmade actually before the Bash at the BEach turn, not too sure.

hogan_warriors.jpg

And there was some Baywatch TV movie that had a Hogan/Vader cage match. I can't remember if it was just shots from their PPV on a beach or what. But it was pretty crap.

Don't forget Rock's "role" in Mummy Returns. Or rather his CG face!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭rizzla

Chris Jericho in Android Apocalypse, terrible film.

Rob Van Dam in Black Mask 2. Not bad but not as good as the first.

Kevin Nash as The Russian in The Punisher. I liked that one.

• Advertisement

I have a lot of those flicks too, albiet in ropey video quality. They were included in the wrestlecrap volumes 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Amazed nobody's mentioned Hunter in Blade 3. He wasn't too bad either. Did his job well

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Amazed nobody's mentioned Hunter in Blade 3. He wasn't too bad either. Did his job well

I'd forgotten completely about Blade Trinity

Cactus Col wrote: »
    A great film!

Of course I think Kevin Nash was (super?) Shredder in one of the TMNT movies.

Indeed he was, in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze (1991)

And as for current wrestlers, Edge was in Highlander: Endgame (2001). There are rumours that Triple H is being considered for the main part in new film, Thor. It is being directed by Kenneth Branagh and the main role has already been turned down by Daniel Craig.

There are rumours that Triple H is being considered for the main part in new film, Thor. It is being directed by Kenneth Branagh and the main role has already been turned down by Daniel Craig.

If he gets that role he'll also be involved in the proposed Avengers movie.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=175000

Thor wallpapers.

I suppose that getup Trips had at WM22 might help in his pitch to the producers and director. "Hey look at me, I am THOR!!"

I'm surprised this atrocity wasn't mentioned yet.

01.jpg

See no way out of the bargain basement more like!

Yeah, Hostel was rubbish! :pac:

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm surprised this atrocity wasn't mentioned yet.

See no way out of the bargain basement more like!

Probably because most were trying to forget about it. Thanks for the reminder :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Anyone seen this beauty from 1986?

Bodyslam
    M. Harry Smilac is a down-on-his-luck music manager who is having a hard time attracting talent and booking gigs for his band, Kicks (The most recent of the gigs is a Dairy Queen opening!!). When making arrangements for a campaign fund-raiser, he mistakes Rick Roberts, a professional wrestler, for a musician and hires him. At that moment he becomes a wrestling manager and starts to book matches for him and his teammate Tonga Tom. The team is a success, and Harry decides to take his wrestlers and his band on a "Rock n' Wrestling" tour. The tour is a success, and Harry feels what it is like to be a winner again.

Starring:
    Dirk Benedict
    Tanya Roberts
    Lou Albano
    Roddy Piper
    Sam Fatu
    The Wild Samoans
    (from the IMDB)

I have it on tape... it's er....a classic....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kurrgan played the Uber-Immortal in 300

18746489.jpg

062.jpg

Jesse Ventura in the awesome Predator.

Raven in the mockbuster Death Racers.

Also, The Jesse Ventura Story, where the Montreal Screwjob is re-enacted with Raven and Chris Kanyon IIRC.

Nathan Jones probably has the best track record for good movies, granted he's never been the lead though. Troy, Tom Yum Goong, Fearless and...

SOMTUM
    345ju3l.jpg
    He's like the Hulk but...red.

Which actually looks like he has a major part, but I haven't seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Bull Buchanan

i know its not a film but vader used be in boy meets world the whole time, as himself he was one of the lads dads in it

Advertisement