Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing cork soooooooooo much

Options
  • 15-12-2008 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

hello, does anyone who doesnt live in cork miss cork soooo much????

i moved to dublin with my parents 2 years ago and I hate it:mad:

my parents don't like dublin much either but its where my dad makes a living.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

lmao my thread has the same number of views as dave mooney wore for the rebels.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Living in Dublin also, though not hating it. However my heart undoubtedly lifts when arriving in Cork. Nothing I can put my finger on particularly. Certainly the people are the best and friendliest I know - that's probably got a lot to do with it. Roll on Dec 27th and that first Cork pint which will be in one of Dan Lowrey's, the Idle Hour, or the South County in Douglas.

But back to Dub again on the 29th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Same boat as RoyMcC (hence my stated location). But getting fed up now of being away for so long. Its nice to head back home every so often, hearing the first local accent generally brings a smile to my face.
    Its like the Murphys billboard says coming the Commons Road, 'Home, like.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I think it depends on where "home" is for you. I've been living in Cork for the last 18 months and I just can't settle. When I moved to Dublin I was "home" within 2 months of moving there. Even living in Germany it felt like "heimat" within a couple of months and the germans are not exactly known for their welcomes. I just can't make in-roads into Cork as I'm not a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

I think it depends on where "home" is for you. I've been living in Cork for the last 18 months and I just can't settle. When I moved to Dublin I was "home" within 2 months of moving there. Even living in Germany it felt like "heimat" within a couple of months and the germans are not exactly known for their welcomes. I just can't make in-roads into Cork as I'm not a local.

Strange.. I grew up pretty much in Kerry, moved to Cork for a few years and loved it, felt very much at home there. Altho did get an awful slagging over the football. But anyway I found most people friendly and got on well with them. I'm now back in Kerry and feel very outta place, even in the town I grew up in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

In my experience an awful lot of people leave Cork after college, say 22-25 age bracket. Do 5-6 years away (usually Dublin) to get experience and then return if at all possible.

It tends to be possible for a lot of people but not all due to the small size of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Altho did get an awful slagging over the football.

This is standard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PROC

without doubt Cork is the greatest palce on earth and you missing it is a very natural feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

PROC wrote: »
    without doubt Cork is the greatest palce on earth and you missing it is a very natural feeling

No offence intended, but have you been to every place on Earth???

Cork is OK, and when I am away from it for a long time I feel a little despondant but nothing too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

In my experience an awful lot of people leave Cork after college, say 22-25 age bracket. Do 5-6 years away (usually Dublin) to get experience and then return if at all possible.

It tends to be possible for a lot of people but not all due to the small size of Cork.
    This is so very true, I finished college this year and was faced with Dublin, London or Boston. But then just out of nowhere I landed a very handy job here in the city for more money then I would have gotten in those locations. This was just before July when things were still looking ok in the economy.
    anyway:
    The thing is all my friends are gone all over the place and at times I think that it may have been nice to get out here for a while, maybe come back to cork down the line. But I'm here now and it's still pretty great! For me, it's a bit of a case of the grass is greener. but i dunno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

been out of the city since june, moved to dublin for work. the only thing i miss is the fact that i knew where everything was and how to get to it. of the dubs i've met (admittedly all at work) i can say the 99% are very nice and more open to outsiders than some cork people i know. some cork folk are the most clanish, insular people around but i guess there are people like that everywhere. overall don't miss cork all that much, it's not like dublin is in a different country ffs, a couple of hours in the car and you're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Trains from Dublin To cork depart Heuston every Hour at peak times, Go on , get one !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Trains from Dublin To cork depart Heuston every Hour at peak times, Go on , get one !:D
    Ya, but have you seen them prices!?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

We owe everything to Cork! If it was not for the Rebels there would be union jacks everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

We owe everything to Cork! If it was not for the Rebels there would be union jacks everywhere

Thats bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

g.quagmire wrote: »
    Thats bullsh1t

Explain, remembering you are in the Rebel forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Ye really need to get out more..

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Kilmichael rattled them more than any other event .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

I'm down to the hometown for two weeks for Xmas. I'm semi-looking forward to it. Which is a lot more enthusiastic about Cork than I've been in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Explain, remembering you are in the Rebel forum!
    I'll take this one Ted.

Cork was called the Rebel County in reference to support by the Earl of Desmond for Perkin Warbeck, a pretender who claimed to be the son of Edward IV (Richard of Shrewsbury[1]) when Richard III was on the English throne. You might know Warbeck as one of the famous Princes in the tower, often romanticised over the years.

The name stuck. I've seen a few semi-reputable sources that say that Cork people are called "the rebels" because of the odd action since or a general tendency to be contrary but the above is correct, it's where the name came from. If you're referring to another gang that you'd like to call "the rebels", knock yourself out, but it's about as valid as swearing blind that Perkin Warbeck was actually Richard of Shewsbury. Incidentally, Warbeck organised two rebellions, both of which got hammered pretty severely because he forgot to bring soldiers with him. Even his two sieges of Waterford didn't last very long.

Like a number of other nicknames given to counties, "the Rebel county" is a name that commemorates the preference of one local lord for one foreigner over another foreigner for a foreign throne, leading to a rebellion that was dead on its feet before the first horse broke a sweat. Of course, it's catchy, which perhaps is why people liked it. The rebellion doesn't get more than a footnote in Irish history for a reason, it was irrelevant to that history, as well as being crappy. The Desmonds got a bit more organised almost a hundred years later in the 1570s but still lost (and again, that rebellion was far more about they as settled landlords wanting to retain their feudal position than anything to do with kicking the foreigners out (the Desmonds/Fitzgeralds being foreigners as well). Still, it's catchy and makes for a few loud songs down the pub.

[1]For Blackadder fans, yes, this is the one played by Brian Blessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PhotoFireAir

I agree, feel slightly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

hello, does anyone who doesnt live in cork miss cork soooo much????

i moved to dublin with my parents 2 years ago and I hate it:mad:

my parents don't like dublin much either but its where my dad makes a living.

You miss the people in Cork, the City is so so, Cork County has some great views though (especially west cork)

Lived in Dublin for a year, its ok, bit up their own arses though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

zombie_1-9316_640x480.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Each weekend I come back to Cork from UL and when i see the city I miss it during the week :o

Quite odd sounding but its a nice little indie city if ye get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Nearly every thread here is Zombie!!!. Even the OP is banned!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I miss the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I hear ya! I have been in Cork for almost 6 months now having spent 5 years in college in Galway city and growing up in north county Galway. I miss Galway so much. I get the feeling that it would be easier to settle in Dublin, especially coming from galway as getting from galway to dublin is MUCH easier then getting from galway to Cork. Also, I know some people in Dublin and there's more to do there. I think people from the west don't usually migrate south. Also Im easily youngest person where I work which dosn't help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I hate being away from my friends there, but jesus I would never miss the place. Always hated it.Sorry OP, have to disagree, I prefer it in here in Dub than down there!

Advertisement