Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes for very small feet...

Options
  • 15-12-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

My little 14 month old is starting to totter about now so we want to get her some shoes for some grip etc to make it easier for her to walk. However she is tiny...

We took her into a Clarks store on Saturday to see if they had anything in there and they couldn't even get a measurement her feet were that small. We then went to the kids store in House of Fraser and they were able to measure them and she was just under a size 1. They didn't really have anything suitable and I didn't really fancy paying €52.50 for a pair of Diesel trainers, especially as they wouldn't really stay on her....

So basically I'm wodering if anyone knows and shops in Dublin (or anywhere) or websites that I may be able to have a look at to see if we can get her some shoes?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

have you tried startrite shoes? they do a better kids range than clarkes. there is a place in the plaza in swords that do them but i'm sure there are others around dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Most shops won't even measure a child's feet until they're walking three months or so. That's as far as I remember when my four were small. Unless your little one is outside she won't really need outdoor shoes yet. When my lot were small we got little soft bootie things made of cordoruoy and fleece. There was a bobbled sole to them so the child had some grip. No use outdoors obviously but fine indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

abi2007 wrote: »
    have you tried startrite shoes? they do a better kids range than clarkes. there is a place in the plaza in swords that do them but i'm sure there are others around dublin

Startrite shoes are good but you can get them in House of Frazer in Dundrum and that is where the OP went.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would go for Robeez shoes at that age, we had both of ours in them and they were great for giving that little bit of grip and control for small feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

Thanks. We are not really after "proper" shoes yet but something that will give her a bit of grip.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Robeez aren't exactly shoes, they are more like leather slippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

tots do shoes that are very good and are for kids who are standing up but not walking yet. you can get them in dundrum or that shoe shop in kildare street (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

+1 for Startrite. I will never put a pair of Clarke's on the little one's feet anymore...between never having any decent range in stock and poor sales assistants...arg :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Anyone know where to get the shoes mentioned above in Cork?

Need to get very small shoes for a one year old who is not yet walking. Physio recommended them as he insists on standing on his toes and thinks it is a game when we try to put him flat on his feet and goes straight back up on his toes. Physio gave up trying to get him on his feet also as he was laughing at her so she said to get shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

there's a place in Midleton, called Little Piggies or something like that, a good shop with great service, a tad more expensive but worth it I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Pediped or Robeez.

And wow she does have tiny feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Kids don't need shoes until they are walking steadily without support. The best grip you'll ever find is her bare feet - babies tend to splay their toes when they're learning to walk and they "grip" the ground underfoot with their toes. It is actually important that, in warm, dry conditions, toddlers are allowed to walk barefoot as much as possible, as it helps to develop good toe grip (which we still use as adults when walking).

Obviously, when your child is out and about, shoes are perhaps necessary, but as much as possible, you should leave your child out of shoes when indoors as much as possible until walking is established. My own daughter was 14 months when she started walking, she got her first ever pair of shoes when she was 17 months.

embee wrote: »
    Kids don't need shoes until they are walking steadily without support. The best grip you'll ever find is her bare feet - babies tend to splay their toes when they're learning to walk and they "grip" the ground underfoot with their toes. It is actually important that, in warm, dry conditions, toddlers are allowed to walk barefoot as much as possible, as it helps to develop good toe grip (which we still use as adults when walking).

Obviously, when your child is out and about, shoes are perhaps necessary, but as much as possible, you should leave your child out of shoes when indoors as much as possible until walking is established. My own daughter was 14 months when she started walking, she got her first ever pair of shoes when she was 17 months.

I was given the same advice. My son didnt walk completely independently until he was 14 mos old, and at a time that coincided with the summer. Just on the cusp of this independence we were outside all the time and it became necessary to get proper shoes because of being outside. And once I bought him the proper shoes, boots with soft supple leather and a terrific footbed, it gave him the support he needed to take off fully independently. And btw, his pediaatrician told me that due to walking late at 14 mos and [not having recognisable words by 16 mos] he was developmentally slow. It seems from this thread, that 14 mos isnt all that uncommon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I was given the same advice. My son didnt walk completely independently until he was 14 mos old, and at a time that coincided with the summer. Just on the cusp of this independence we were outside all the time and it became necessary to get proper shoes because of being outside. And once I bought him the proper shoes, boots with soft supple leather and a terrific footbed, it gave him the support he needed to take off fully independently. And btw, his pediaatrician told me that due to walking late at 14 mos and [not having recognisable words by 16 mos] he was developmentally slow. It seems from this thread, that 14 mos isnt all that uncommon though.

Jeez, your paediatrician....

I'm sure I've read somewhere that if a child isn't walking by around 18 months then you start to investigate, I think it could be even older than that. My childminder minds a little girl who didn't start walking until she was 21 months, her older sister was the exact same. And words by 16 months? Most people say that boys are a little slower to vocalise than girls... your paediatrician sounds like he's in a mad rush for your little boy to grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

embee wrote: »

Generally true. We had no intention of getting shoes until roughly 6 weeks after they started walking on their own...but as I said above, in some cases shoes are recommended to "help" the child to stand flat on his feet to prevent damage to toes from continually being up on them. Obviously those shoes will not be worn all the time around the house but just every so often to encourage him to go flat on his feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good God... late walking at 14 months?! Both mine walked at 14 months. Of all my friends kids the range was 10 months to 19 months (most were between 12 and 18 months) and all are completely developmentally normal in every way. Seriously, ditch that doc!

littlebug wrote: »
    Good God... late walking at 14 months?! Both mine walked at 14 months. Of all my friends kids the range was 10 months to 19 months (most were between 12 and 18 months) and all are completely developmentally normal in every way. Seriously, ditch that doc!

She's been ditched. For this and and a couple of other things that raised some question marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

WOW size 1 at 14 months ... geez my ds is 13 months and is a size 3.5, i thought he was average to small feet but size 1 thats tiny

Advertisement