Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP: Amalgamating User Accounts.

• 15-12-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Here's the situation.

One Laptop. 3 users.
    User A, User B and User C.
    User C is the Administrator.

Question:
    How do I change the two accounts of User A and User B into one account, while keeping intact all the settings and files and so forth?

Also, will this recover any disk space?

Thanks,

U.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I doubt you could simply merge the two accounts via account C . You'd probably need to select an account (or create a 4th account) and move any data (downloads , photos , music, etc) into the relevant directory in that account and delete the superfluous account(s) when done . You wouldnt be recovering a massive amount of space unless both accounts have loads of temp files (recoverable space without merging accounts) and/or bloated Application Data (will depend on installed software and it's usage and again can be reduced somewhat - not totally - without merging) regardless of which OS you are running . Which OS , btw ? On a well maintained machine running XP I doubt reducing the number of account profiles by one would save you anywhere near even 1Gb . Vista might come closer to that but others will be able to advise better - I'm still on XP here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Thanks! (XP by the way)

However, I am trying to avoid doing it that way!

Does anybody else have suggestions as to what to do??

*note that I am Admin, and neither User A or User B's account is password protected or anything like that and I do need to do this - somehow.

Anyone...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

How do you suppose you could merge two accounts and retain all the settings?

Pick one account who's settings you want to keep, transfer any files you want to keep from the other account and then delete the redundant account.

Sean_K wrote: »
    How do you suppose you could merge two accounts and retain all the settings?

Pick one account who's settings you want to keep, transfer any files you want to keep from the other account and then delete the redundant account.
    effort....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

effort....
    Pay someone to do it.

If you're in the Dublin area, I'll do it for €75 an hour.

Per hour? pfft.

€30 per hour.

Advertisement