Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Damp insulation in cavity walls

• 15-12-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm not sure if already covered here.
    I have been asked for advice on the following. The house is a 40 year old two storey cavity wall construction. The owners have lived in it from the start. A number of years ago they had the walls pumped with the white mineral type wool insulation and every thing was ok for about 5 years. Then they started to notice some dampness in one of the rooms and this has steadily gotten worse over the years. the side of the house where this problem is occuring is the prevailing wind direction and the house is badly exposed to the weather (driving rain). They have a de-humidifier going 24/7 and empty about 2-3 pints of water a day from it. There are no water pipes etc anywhere near this side of the house and the roof is sound. The problem is the worst on the ground floor with a very little bit above the skirting upstairs.
    The thinking is that the insulation in the cavity is getting wet from the outer leaf and transfering this moisture to the inner leaf. There are no visible cracks etc on the outer leaf.
    So my questions are:
    1. has anybody else experienced this and if so what was the cause/solution?
    2. are there water proof renders available to solve this problem?
    3. Would externally insulating this gable wall help solve the problem?
    4. Any other suggestions?

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

You will probably have to replaster that side of the house. Are there concrete overbarges on the house?? Basically what i think is happening is the old render is no good and it is drawing in the damp which in turn is travelling in along the insulation. You could dryline the interior walls but the damp would probably find another way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

opelmanta wrote: »
    You will probably have to replaster that side of the house. Are there concrete overbarges on the house?? Basically what i think is happening is the old render is no good and it is drawing in the damp which in turn is travelling in along the insulation. You could dryline the interior walls but the damp would probably find another way in.

What are overbarges?
    I was wondering if there are any special renders for this type of problem. If it is to be replastered then I would expect that the old plaster would need to be removed. Is this right?
    I dont think drylining is an option as the source of the problem wont be tackled and will probably make the problem worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Exactly. Overbarges are the concrete "bars" if you like that run up along the edge of the roof from the gutter to the ridge. If there is one then that could be the source of the problem. There may be cracks on it somewhere.
    However it is more than likely a plaster problem. Im not sure of there is a way to replaster it. The old plaster would probably have to be taken off and then skimmed, scratchcoated and finish coated. However i am not a plasterer so my advice would be to ask one.

Advertisement