Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Up Your Own Mobile Number?

• 15-12-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭

Evening all.
    I coulda sworn that, when reading either the O2 or Carphone Warehouse magazine last month, I read that if changing to O2, you could create a mobile number that's easy for yourself to remember or whatever.
    I rang o2 while ago asking that, since I can assign my current mobile number on Meteor to the o2 sim card I just got, can I not just create my own? They said I couldn't.

Has anyone heard/done such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Soarer wrote: »
    Evening all.
    I coulda sworn that, when reading either the O2 or Carphone Warehouse magazine last month, I read that if changing to O2, you could create a mobile number that's easy for yourself to remember or whatever.
    I rang o2 while ago asking that, since I can assign my current mobile number on Meteor to the o2 sim card I just got, can I not just create my own? They said I couldn't.

Has anyone heard/done such a thing?

I remember a thread on it earlier this year in this forum, i think the number had to start with 5 something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

www.nameyournumber.com I believe.

++ edit - this one actually http://o2.nameyournumber.com/

++ edit 2 - you need to do it in a store. You don't just pick any number but you get a fairly good selection I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Soarer

Great stuff.
    I knew I didn't dream it!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Are O2 the only network offering this? Would like to give it a try maybe...

I think O2 are the only network offering it. I'm sure the others have some form of it if you're a business customer or "important" customer though .. i.e. you ask them if a number is available and they'll tell you yes or no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

I'd change my number to 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Rory123 wrote: »
    I'd change my number to 0118 999 881 999 119 725...3! :D

Isn't that emergency services in the UK though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If o2 are the only ones doing it - you could just port your number to a different network when you done :) though you may not be allowed.
    interesting site.

like omfg ! i can get 086 samhail !
    that would be so corny !

edit: it should be up and running in the next week or so.
    hahahahaha !!!

Yah, you can port your number if you like. If you signup to billpay you're in a contract though etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

surely if your mobile number is easy to remember at this stage so why bother changing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

its called a canity number for a reason :)
    and might it be more for other people to remember your number rather than you - othe rppl call your mobile more than you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

true but its yet another 7 digit number for them to remember.
    as i am sure 5123456 is already taken:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

i like my number.

it is of the form 08x aba cddc.

two mini palindromes :pac:

Mines 08x abcdeaf. Gotta love it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Smart arse :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Random wrote: »
    ++ edit 2 - you need to do it in a store. You don't just pick any number but you get a fairly good selection I believe.

You can do it all online, re-enter your details and give you ten numbers to pick from, either take one or re-enter different info. Then when your happy, click 'reserve' and the number is held for you.

Go in-store, give them the 'Ref code', pay €20 and thats it. The €20 is a credit topup and not a charge. This went live in august.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

*Thread of the Day* it seems....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

This is a great thread. Thanks lads. I thought you actually had to go instore and they would spend hours drolling over numbers. Thats why I never did it... I wish I could get my old o2 number back (I let it die): It began like 086-086****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This is a great thread. Thanks lads. I thought you actually had to go instore and they would spend hours drolling over numbers. Thats why I never did it... I wish I could get my old o2 number back (I let it die): It began like 086-086****

you can get it back if it hasnt been recycled to someone else, easily done with a blank sim and one phone call to o2

I dont get the big deal with phone numbers to be honest, i know my girlfriends and my flatmates, everyone else is just a name on a contact list, its the entire point that you dont have to remember them, I honestly couldnt give you a single persons phone number aside from those two, fair enough businesses want to have easy to remember numbers, but i couldnt care less what mine is, I have seen some pretty cool ones that if someone told you you would think it was made up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I work in an o2 dealer shop :)

The number is frozen. So while it's not deleted, nobody can access it really in o2 apart from the tech team... and they're in a world of their own... (they're outsourced)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I work in an o2 dealer shop :)

The number is frozen. So while it's not deleted, nobody can access it really in o2 apart from the tech team... and they're in a world of their own... (they're outsourced)

Its easy just ring someone on 1909, get them to log a ticket with tech, they can ring tech with the ticket number and restore the number in about 10 seconds, I do it every other day for people, as long as it hasnt been a good few years since you had it and it hasnt been recycled to someone else you're grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

You can't pick any number on o2 name your number. Has to be 08672 in the start then you pick the last five digits.

Advertisement