Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Primetime] Service with a snarl

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I went looking for Sallybrook last Firday but had no luck and the others are on the other side of the harbour/city and require a special trip to find as I'm not normally that side of the county, I promise you you'll have them before 2009..... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Munsterscycling, where are me bleedin Cork exchanges for the map ??

Customer service in Telcos in Ireland is so bad that you would have to run a primetime special each week for a year to change them .

Sending the fraud squad in after them + Comreg would be a start.

Comreg refused to come on, IPSO explained that BT are committing DD fraud and how...in effect..but tacitly that no sanctions had been or would be taken against fraud by IPSO

Dub45 is sick going on about the fraud that is the DD system. All of those scammers including Jackie Skelly hide behind this fraudulent DD system .

Earlier this year I sent a letter with a long list of questions to IPSO. It was addressed to the gentleman who appeared on Prime Time. I got no response. However as you know Dub45 does not give up easily. I had to send a registered letter to said gentleman threatening press embarassment etc etc to get any response.

Amazing how people with such total contempt for the public are in charge of such an important scheme.

I dont know if anyone else noticed but it was very disturbing indeed to hear on the PT prog where they were talking about how the dd was 'resurrected' that it had been removed from 'one part' of the system but mysteriously stayed on 'another part'. And no one challenged this nonsense. It should be an integral part of the dd scheme that when a dd is cancelled the customer receives a written and signed confirmation that all bank related data has been removed from the company system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it wasn't a very good show, same old same old ,reading out the statements where the company talks about their high standards is no good, conor pope said it himself, hello this is consumer rights program that will show you absolultly nothing surprising, and will only get a handful of people who contacted us problems fixed, and do nothing for the indsutry as a whole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You should have a quiet natter with Conor Pope Dub45. The DD system is fraudster central in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No mention of O2 at all on it, guess they got away with it

• Advertisement

O2 have by far the best CS of any telco in Ireland , always have had. Maybe if the programme was 3 hours long they would have gotten their turn .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The whole programme was so mild - it was as if - hey every company has its problems so just get used to it.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    O2 have by far the best CS of any telco in Ireland , always have had. Maybe if the programme was 3 hours long they would have gotten their turn .

Just to continue my obsession with dd's.

O2 are actually a big offender in this regard as every dd they send out breaches the notice period of the dd scheme - that is if you are in receipt of a paper bill.

The notice period under the dd scheme is 14 calendar days. O2 debit customers 14 days after the date on the bill irrespective of when it is posted or when it may be received by the customer. I noticed that the bill was arriving in most cases 5 or 6 days before the date of the dd so challenged o2 got nowhere; reported it to IPSO got nowhere so cancelled the dd.

Its unfortunate that business letters do not carry any postmarks so it is impossible to tell when they are actually posted. Companies can therefore put any date they like on a letter and the date of posting cannot be challenged. Keep an eye on the dates of bills etc in relation to when you actually receive them.

But this demonstrates another flaw in the direct debit system - it is impossible for the customer to ensure that they get the correct notice. IPSO were openly contemptuous of my complaint when I spoke to them about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I went looking for Sallybrook last Firday but had no luck and the others are on the other side of the harbour/city and require a special trip to find as I'm not normally that side of the county, I promise you you'll have them before 2009..... :)

IIRC Sallybrook is out beyond Glanmire.

The whole programme was so mild - it was as if - hey every company has its problems so just get used to it.

Yes I love it when the companies respond and say this customer's experience was 'untypical'. It would be great if the narrator could say Yes indeed it was untypical - as bad as this one was others were far far worse!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nice to see the shoddy customer service departments being aired in public, but I don't think it'll change anything. The program wasn't asking the right questions, and should really be an entire series.

The IPSO guy, as well as all the banks, should be grilled on the Direct Debit sham scheme. All the companies that have been proven, by customers, to have re-instated canceled direct debits, should also be called to answer, in person, for their actions. The Gardai should be asked to investigate if this is truly a matter of fraud, and if it is, action should be taken against them all, companies, banks and the IPSO, who all facilitate it.

The letters of apology issued by the companies, and their claims of it being a one-off and not the norm, were such BS. How can 50,000* of the exact same complaint, with the exact same response, and the exact same outcome, all be one-offs?

*Number made up, but probably real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

should have more pols and industrial bodies on.

but hey DM got to say 10 words.

True DUB45 , however O2 billing is accurate and a real human is in place to answer the phone in a professional manner . IPSO should crack down on these people and delay the implementaion of the DD to teach them . IPSO is a scam , unfortunately, and lots of companies wing it with the DD knowing IPSO will do feck all.

I would hate to see the O2 Limerick call centre go because it does things right by CS standards . That would be a ****ing tragedy in this country ....nay a travesty.

Rather would I like the rest of them to aspire to be as good as O2 ! Surely I am entitled to standards and so are the Irish public.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jor el wrote: »
    Nice to see the shoddy customer service departments being aired in public, but I don't think it'll change anything. The program wasn't asking the right questions, and should really be an entire series.

Doesn't RTE have a new separate consumer program that started recently, surely they could make use of it now?

I honestly can't see RTE coming out with anything the likes of Watchdog in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Personally the part that I noticed and totally agree with is the comment that "Irish people do not know how to complain"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Jumpy wrote: »
    Personally the part that I noticed and totally agree with is the comment that "Irish people do not know how to complain"

And also, that Irish people don't know what Customer Service is. I guess that applied to the people working in customer service, as well as the customers themselves.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Doesn't RTE have a new separate consumer program that started recently, surely they could make use of it now?

I honestly can't see RTE coming out with anything the likes of Watchdog in the UK

You're right, they do. It's on a Thursday night I think. There's a thread about it over on the TV forum, but it looks like it's not up to much, going by some of the comments on that thread. Certainly no Watchdog.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Is anyone else puzzled as to the lack of Eircom....some of the hairiest stories ive ever heard in telecoms have included them, but still no mention.....are they really doing that well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

How is Customer Service by companies supposed to improve if the Consumer shows can even ask the right questions?

Hell how is Customer Service supposed to exist at all when the regulators stick up for incompetency?

We all need to either get rid of this government or emigrate to teach them a lesson. Seems its the only way they'll learn.
    Jumpy wrote: »

I know perfectly well how to complain, I do it all the time. Too much if anything :D

It doesn't help when these companies lie to people about their rights. It should be illegal for them to lie to you about your rights. If they don't know, they'd then keep their mouths shut or admit their ignorance. Hell companies might actually start training customer service in what the rights of their customers are.

The Dell case particularly where the customer service person refused to speak to her because she was a woman and hung up should be fired and Dell fined for allowing a customer to be sexually discriminated against when trying to get support under the warranty she paid for when she bought the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Eircom didnt get a mention either, especially regarding the tech support out sourced to india

Rorser wrote: »
    Is anyone else puzzled as to the lack of Eircom....some of the hairiest stories ive ever heard in telecoms have included them, but still no mention.....are they really doing that well?

Yes but it is interesting to note the overall absence of threads on boards over the years of say Eircom billing woes and so on? Given the large number of customers that they have there have to be billing woes but nothing has surfaced here to compare with our usual suspects.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dub45 wrote: »
    Yes but it is interesting to note the overall absence of threads on boards over the years of say Eircom billing woes and so on? Given the large number of customers that they have there have to be billing woes but nothing has surfaced here to compare with our usual suspects.

That's where the Irish attitude of 'sure aren't we lucky to have the phone at all' comes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

gordonnet wrote: »
    Eircom didnt get a mention either, especially regarding the tech support out sourced to india

Eircom was not mentioned at all in program,and Eircom does not outsource any of its branchs,tech support is based in East point and City West in Dublin

spurious wrote: »
    That's where the Irish attitude of 'sure aren't we lucky to have the phone at all' comes in.

No the people who complain on boards are not of that ilk thankfully. Their billing must be reasonably ok not to have appeared here over such a long period (I genuinely dont know as I am not a customer of theirs)

Irlbo wrote: »
    Eircom was not mentioned at all in program,and Eircom does not outsource any of its branchs,tech support is based in East point and City West in Dublin

my understanding is that they outsource quite a substantial amount of their residential sales function...am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Rorser wrote: »
    my understanding is that they outsource quite a substantial amount of their residential sales function...am i wrong?

yes, telephone sales are mostly based out of Dublin as are their support teams. There is also a telesales team in Cork, but all are based in Ireland.

Iago wrote: »
    yes, telephone sales are mostly based out of Dublin as are their support teams. There is also a telesales team in Cork, but all are based in Ireland.

Yes but are they directly staffed by Eircom employees or subcontracted? I am just curious, nothing malicious you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Irlbo wrote: »

Eircom deserves a mention just for that god-awful voice activated call routing system. Quite apart from the fact that it is irritating to an indescribable degree (it can only have been designed by a sociopath) - it is hypersensitive to ambient sound; if a sparrow farts outside in the garden you get "I didn't understand that..."

Storker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

As for that idiot from UCD with his "'Have a nice day' is customer service". If that's what they're teaching the business graduates, no wonder things are in such a state.

Storker

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

should the proram have not focused more on call centers rather than shoddy customer service...

:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNPzgPhHeWQ&feature=related

• Advertisement

NO

If the companies gave a damn the call centre would work properly and would deal with the customers when they rang .

There are companies out there with pretty good CS AND with pretty good support . O2 and Digiweb come to mind .

Others only have fully staffed sales line, ask yourself how many times have you selected 'sales' when you wanted 'support' .

If fact a special Boards Survey should be done to help Conor Pope in his next program

1. Ring up company x , select sales , see how long it takes to answer
    2. ring back , select support or customer service or accounts , see how long it takes each of them to answer.

The long winded press 1 for a and press 2 for b system is called an IVR system. Ignore the time it takes for it to speak its thing. Write down all the options you are given in the IVR .

I bet I can tell which companies will only answer sales AND in less than 30 seconds .

They would be the usual suspects around here :(

eircom are not by any means the worst !

Advertisement