Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AotM4 = Pat Metheny - The Way Up

• 15-12-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Courtesy of Shatners Bassoon, this months album is Pat Metheny's The Way Up. Shatners you can kick us off with a reason why you nominated this. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

It needs a reason?! :p Heck i'll give you a full blown crappy review, to prove to you all that i care more about this album than my exams!

The Pat Metheny Group

The Way Up

Opening begins with a pulsing intro that is an obvious homage to Steve Reich, Sanchez’ fantastic drum beat then enters framing the sporadic ascending and descending lines that Metheny and Mays craft around each other. The track branches in and out of the various themes or ideas that will be fleshed out further out in the album. It shifts through styles, tempos and offers a dazzling array of differing tones (The addition of Maret on harmonica was an inspired choice as he really adds a different dimension to the proceedings). The liveliness of Opening subsides with another subtle pulse that accompanies Metheny’s acoustic solo.

Part One begins with a real WTF Metheny melody. The first time I heard it I thought it was the cheesiest piece of **** I’d ever heard; now I think its genius, not to mention quite infectious! The simple melody really grows on you though and the progression that builds around it is really moving in how it builds up to climax after climax! As usual it gets atmospheric again, the group layer the effects, leaving lots of space for Metheny to craft yet another memorable solo, the rhythm section gradually builds up the proceedings and the progression becomes meatier. A fascinating mix of resolutions, finalizing itself yet again into that melody – singing it with my friends we tend to leap about the place like proper eejits punching our fists into the air- its that kind of anthem! It subsides again and Metheny and Mays have a nice acoustic duet. A pulse is used to bring us back to a swifter tempo and the group take a while to play around with a new progressive melody in 5/4 that contains a weird sample from the previous anthem before building going into some fast and furious synchronised lines. The pace continues to quicken and slows, subtly manoeuvring itself from one theme to another without ever losing the essence of the progression. Metheny also plays my favourite guitar solo ever on this piece around the ten minute mark using a lovely muddy tone from his archtop. Great solos aplenty ensue until the ever transforming melodies interlocked with solos gradually lead us into Part 2.

I don’t have the time to describe part 2 or 3 in such detail as well they could be described in a similar way to part 1! They’re not quite as good but again feature melodies that might make you wince at first but then grow on you like a fungus! The feeling of adventure remains throughout and the way they subtly suggest a melodic idea in the sparse skeletal section only for it to crop up later in a full blown frenzy is nothing short of a pleasure to listen to. And it is really that- music you have to really listen to in order to get the full effect, so basically it makes ****ty background music but is great on a train journey or if you’re just walking somewhere.

Each of the musicians offer some sublime moments and Sanchez is absolutely fantastic throughout. Stay away from this if you don’t like adventurous music, not as in free jazz adventurous but it bears no resemblance to traditional jazz. It’s a prog-jazz album and you could probably cite influences ranging from classical to world to ambient in there too.
    A great place to start with Metheny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

That's some review Shatners !! "Down Beat" magazine would be glad to have you on board. ;)

I like Metheny, but somehow I really never got into his music completely. Will check this one out though.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Great album. The interplay between the musicians is incredible, Sanchez is brilliant. And they use space and time really well, allowing gaps for the other instruments to fill. And it's such a thematic album, too. Loads of great little melodies, all tied together beautifully. Once you get over the strangeness of the album (I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a jazz album per se) - the strange tones, the (perfect) deployment of a harmonica (!) - it really becomes essential listening! And be prepared: your lips won't get a break from whistling the tunes so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

How is the harmonica used actually? Is it a soloing instrument, or just for harmonic ot melodic accompaniment? Still haven't got this unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Both!

• Advertisement
Advertisement