Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendments to the 'thank post' function required?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

undoubtedly one of the best modifications to boards in recent times has been the introduction of the 'thank this post' function. It is unquestionable that it has improved the end user experience by an immeasurable amount.

However, at this juncture it is surely time to consider amendments to this function. Perhaps you should consider the addition of the following 'thanks' functions.

- the 'thumbs down' option, dead handy when you simply dont agree with a post and have no emotional hate or bad wishes on the poster who profferred the original opinion. This could be represented by a thumbs down icon - those familiar with msn can type (n) into their chat window to help figure out what I have in mind here.

- the 'fu ck you' option, this could be a represented by an outstretched middle finger. Certainly come in handy in a thread in which two or more contributors have diverging views.

- the 'go away outa that' option, a .gif of a waving hairy hand would work well for this. This would be ideal where one poster think that another one is pulling there leg.

- the 'your a woeful pr1ck' option, i think this would come in handy when somebody posts something which others dont quite agree with and this the disagreements stems from the posters personal traits. Im uncertain on what icon should be used for this, i cant do all the work for you. :rolleyes:

- finally one for use in the GAA or sports forums, I recommned the 'jaysus cloonan yer like a rat up on his back' option, this one will be perfect as it can mean you approve of a players action wether that be based on good play or else you approve of some player hitting another lad a slap of a hurl or whatever. Again, I am uncertain of what image should be used.

overall I think these ammendments would serve to reduce the number of bannings and infractions handed out by mods, streamlining their work and overall making them more productive as people will get less emotional by being able to express all their hate or appreciation in just one click of a mouse.

anyway - I hope you take these on board.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Maybe what we really need is a 'deja-vu' button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

- the 'thumbs down' option, dead handy when you simply dont agree with a post and have no emotional hate or bad wishes on the poster who profferred the original opinion. This could be represented by a thumbs down icon - those familiar with msn can type (n) into their chat window to help figure out what I have in mind here.
    That could only lead to the fostering of bitterness of forums, in my opinion. I think if you don't agree with a post you should outline the reason for that, rather than a basic "no." Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Interesting, I'm sure the development squad will take all of that on board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement