Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abusive PM from a Mod.

Options
  • 15-12-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭

I sent Mahatma Coat (yes yes our cause de jeur) a pm trying to gauge how he was reacting to the furor over his moderation.

I will freely admit that I've crossed swords with the guy before, but I really wanted to gauge if he was understanding the reasoning behind this. My tone was terse, but I don't think unfair considering the hullaballo of the last few days.

My OP

<snip>

His response.

<snip>

Said PM can be forwarded to Any Mod, SMod, CMod, Admin.

I'm frankly shocked at this behavior, if an ordinary user sent me this kind of pm I'd be offended, but this, onto of the litany of shocking behaviour by MC in the last few days without any form of public censure from Boards.ie look atkin to the relationship between FF and Beverly Cooper Flynn.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It looks a bit like you deliberately flamed him. I'm not too impressed by that. Tell me why I shouldn't ban you for sending him such an abusive PM in the first place.

My reaction might have been more tame in terms of language but I would have essentially said the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

It looks a bit like you deliberately flamed him. I'm not too impressed by that. Tell me why I shouldn't ban you for sending him such an abusive PM in the first place.

My reaction might have been more tame in terms of language but I would have essentially said the same thing.

I'm sorry I'm who and the what now?

In the past few weeks, he's deleted a thread wherein he says "Jews are the most despicable race of people on the planet'. He's banned a user on sheer whimsy.

I wanted to know if he would acknowledge that he's off to a poor start, and was going to revise his behaviour, he responded with a torrent of abuse. You are defending another mod in near knee jerk reaction.

There was nothing abusive in my post. To suggest that a user cannot even politely question a mods behaviour with risking a potential ban from you, suggests you don't like having anyone dare to even think about critiquing your actions.

Do you need to wear any special kind of sun bloc for that thin skin condition you appear to have?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Diogenes wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm who and the what now?

In the past few weeks, he's deleted a thread wherein he says "Jews are the most despicable race of people on the planet'. He's banned a user on sheer whimsy.

I wanted to know if he would acknowledge that he's off to a poor start, and was going to revise his behaviour, he responded with a torrent of abuse. You are defending another mod in near knee jerk reaction.

There was nothing abusive in my post. To suggest that a user cannot even politely question a mods behaviour with risking a potential ban from you, suggests you don't like having anyone dare to even think about critiquing your actions.

Do you need to wear any special kind of sun bloc for that thin skin condition you appear to have?
    No no no, you've got it all wrong. Dig UP. UP.

You've managed to eke out one hell of a problem for yourself with regard to your future posting on this site.

I never said I wasn't going to take issue with MC's reply to you. I fully intend to bring it up with him but that really isn't any concern of yours at this stage. You have a far bigger problem.

It seems blatant to me that you PMed MC with the intention of getting a rise out of him. I can't say for certain but (I'm prepared to speculate that) you may even have sent him a PM that you knew would get that sort of reaction just so you could cause more trouble for him here.

I'm really struggling to see what you thought you'd gain from attacking me personally. Perhaps you think that if I ban you now, it will look like I took things personally and it's a vengeance ban. It's unfortunate from your perspective that neither (a) do I care what trolls say to me, nor (b) has my position changed in any way from that which I held when I first read your post.

No no no, you've got it all wrong. Dig UP. UP.

No no cliche you way out of this situation.
    You've managed to eke out one hell of a problem for yourself with regard to your future posting on this site.

So to be clear I sent a two line pm to someone which got me into a "one hell of a problem" (a problem that cannot be defined or explained.)
    I never said I wasn't going to take issue with MC's reply to you. I fully intend to bring it up with him but that really isn't any concern of yours at this stage. You have a far bigger problem.

Ah so to be clear. I send MC a polite pm, I get sent a torrent of abuse, you threaten me a site ban (for some random reason) and you are still threatening me with a ban Could you, in all non ironic, and genuine seriousness, point out to me why I should be worried about a site ban for having the termity of posting an obnoxious pm from a mod.

Could someone explain the rationality behind this?

It seems blatant to me that you PMed MC with the intention of getting a rise out of him. I can't say for certain but (I'm prepared to speculate that) you may even have sent him a PM that you knew would get that sort of reaction just so you could cause more trouble for him here.

Well look you are speculating rampantly here. I did not, for example, challenge the, public, debate of the elevation of Mahatma coat.

The role of mod seems to me to be a public job an honour granted by the community at large, because of their community.

You seem to be offering Mahatma the benefit of the doubt on his actions while at the same time assuming the worst of my behavior.

Its a fairly obvious double standard.
    I'm really struggling to see what you thought you'd gain from attacking me personally.

You are the one who who threatened to ban me after I had the termity of reporting a post that is intensely abusvise to me.
    Perhaps you think that if I ban you now, it will look like I took things personally and it's a vengeance ban. It's unfortunate from your perspective that neither (a) do I care what trolls say to me, nor (b) has my position changed in any way from that which I held when I first read your post.

Sorry mate you've not addressed at any point the sheer vitrioal of hos comments and focused on my.

The words double and standard spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Diogenese, you deliberately flamebaited him imo, it didn't look like a 'polite' pm to me. Asking someone how embarrassed they are by the bad job they are doing is complete flamebait. You were trying to rile him up and you succeeded.

How do you think that your PM could have made a positive outcome? What were you expecting, in all honesty?

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Diogenese, you deliberately flamebaited him imo, it didn't look like a 'polite' pm to me. Asking someone how embarrassed they are by the bad job they are doing is complete flamebait. You were trying to rile him up and you succeeded.

How do you think that your PM could have made a positive outcome? What were you expecting, in all honesty?

Supposing for a moment is was flamebait. As it appears to be to most of the mods of this forum. As I understand it mods are supposed to picked because they are mature, considerate, posters with a passion about the subject matter of the forum they moderate. If it was so "obviously flamebait" surely a mod's reaction should be to rise above it?

As I understand it, I received an obnoxious PM using abusive language, and started a helpdesk thread about it. Since then I've received one blatant threat about my continued posting on this forum and one thinly veiled threat both from the same user.

I'm honestly baffled here.

Supposing for a moment is was flamebait. As it appears to be to most of the mods of this forum. As I understand it mods are supposed to picked because they are mature, considerate, posters with a passion about the subject matter of the forum they moderate. If it was so "obviously flamebait" surely a mod's reaction should be to rise above it?
    Yes, I would agree with you.

In fairness though, he does seem to have spoken in the heat of passion.
    I've tried to respond to a thread started here, but I cant
    why?

I will post my response here. PM's are just that Private, and unrelated to the Forums, I Sent Diogeness a response to his 'Polite' Question, user to user.

I would point out that in all my dealings with him he has been nothing but snide and petty, also I'm fairly sure yer not supposed to post PM's without the permission of the other Poster.

I should not have been so vitriolic in my response, but subtlety dosent seem to work anymore, and considerin the sh*tstorm that he and a few other posters have brought down on me this week due to a simple Feckup on my part, I felt I needed to Clarify my thoughts to him.

We do have a history of arguments, and from this it can be inferred that his initial post was meant as a flame, I know I should have taken a moment calmed down and written a measured response, but ****it I was pissedoff with the constant goading.

Gordon wrote: »
    Yes, I would agree with you.

In fairness though, he does seem to have spoken in the heat of passion.

I'm sure what to say. I'm just hope that not a PM from MC, that kind of behaviour can land a user in all sort of trouble ;)

Firstly "constant goading?" That is the only pm I have ever sent him. Suggesting that he is the wronged victim of a torrent of abuse his just his "poor me" justification for legitimate criticism. Secondly there is no attempt to justify his anti semitism, his clumsy attempt to cover up this racism, and the banning of a user for just his own whimsy I don't think he was being "goaded" by The Economist. It looks like a Mela Cupla for appearance's sake to the rest of the forum, with no real remorse for his torrent of abuse being expressed to me.

I'm sure what to say. I'm just hope that not a PM from MC, that kind of behaviour can land a user in all sort of trouble ;)
    Indeed. That reply is on the Helpdesk as he tried to reply to your OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Diogeness, what is it that you are trying to prove?

you have been on a constant attack footing with me for as long as I remember.

Why do you bother, I think my best course of action from here out is to just ignore you, so thats what I'm going to do, you can rant away to your hearts content and so long as you dont breach any of the rules you wont ever be engaged in conversation by me again

• Advertisement

Diogeness, what is it that you are trying to prove?

you have been on a constant attack footing with me for as long as I remember.

Why do you bother, I think my best course of action from here out is to just ignore you, so thats what I'm going to do, you can rant away to your hearts content and so long as you dont breach any of the rules you wont ever be engaged in conversation by me again

Mahatma I "bother" because you seem to be a racist who isn't fit to be a mod.

To the Admins/CMods I was told that this matter was under review yet have seen no public course of action.

I am aware that this is a privately owned forum, but perhaps if you let us know what actions are being taken it would make me and other users who have raised these issues that this isn't being swept under the carpet.

Advertisement