Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MHRV in a 50 year old house

Options
  • 16-12-2008 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Has anyone installed MHRV in a refurb of an old house?

I am planning to carry it out in a refurb of a 50 year old house.
    Obviously this is a lot easier in a new build, where airtightness is a relatively straightfoward process.

I am refurbing everything, concrete floor, new double glazed windows, attic insulation, new doors, sealing chimneys etc, so it would be a shame to have to open up dead holes to vent the house.

I am wondering has anyone out there carried it out on an old build, with perhaps moderate air tightness levels.

What would the ESB running costs be expected for a MHRV ?

Thanks,
    H4L.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If the refurbishment involves making the existing structure airtight then a MHVR is worth considering. This may involve removing and replacing plaster to external walls and ceilings.

There are a number on the market, seem to cost very little to run. Maybe check out manufactures IAB Cert etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Home4Life

RKQ and Eoghan,

thanks for your replies.

I am amazed that no-one has done MHRV on an old house!

Its actully pushing me to do it just to see if I can make it work !
    It seems like the most renewable way of heating of all,
    and ensuring the health of a house is increased,
    which is something I sense a lot of people simply ignore.

I think it seems to be one of the lower cost options toi install,
    the running costs are almost negligible (€100 a year),
    so I cant see why more people dont do it.

I do plan to make the hosue as airtight as possible,
    I know that this is a vital consideration,

H4L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I looked at this recently with DEAP to hand .

If Q50 = 10 then HRV is cost neutral to run . ( Igoring capital cost and payback period ) . As Q50 gets worse , then it actually costs more to run i.e. it loses heat .

Q50 5 seems to be a concensus arising from many many talks i have had had HRV people i.e. if you don't get Q50 5 you should really not install HRV

There is another way to "value" HRV , putting to one side payback periods and energy efficiency - health and comfort . i.e. you could decide to "invest" in those alone . Of course this assumes that the HRV installation is scrupulously maintained - i would not like to experience an HRV running with dirty filters ....

Can you get an old house air tight ? - I recently extended and converted a 1930's dormer - Q50 - 2.6 ( no HRV )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Home4Life

Sinnerboy,

many thanks for that.
    I had heard nothing from people with exisiting older homes in relation to MHRV or air tightness tests.
    99% of the talk in these two areas seems to be from people embarking upon new builds.

Your Q50 result has given me resolve - 3.5 is bloody impressive.

While I am going to do everything to get it airtight, a neighbour of mine with an indentical house scored 15 after his refurb, though he is going back to see what he can do, and I have learned some things I can do up front to improve.

Would you have any advice resulting from your spectacular result as to what I should do to achieve something like that?

Many thanks,
    H4L

Advertisement