Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best UFC fight ever?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

What do you guys think was the best UFC Fight ever?(no Pride or other stuff)

Mine is Stephen Bonner vs Forrest Griffen TUF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Keith Hackney vs Emmanuel Yarborough
    Don Frye vs Thomas Ramirez

Joking aside I have not seen many modern UFC's. I have seen all the old ones and some of the more modern ones. I can name so many epic Pride fights but there is a few less epic fights in the UFC. I thought Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg was epic. I am a big Penn fan, so most of his fights are favourites of mine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Keith Hackney vs Emmanuel Yarborough
    Don Frye vs Thomas Ramirez

Joking aside I have not seen many modern UFC's. I have seen all the old ones and some of the more modern ones. I can name so many epic Pride fights but there is a few less epic fights in the UFC. I thought Matt Hughes vs Frank Trigg was epic. I am a big Penn fan, so most of his fights are favourites of mine too.
    matt hughes and frank trigg 2 by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hughes/Trigg II was great in terms of comebacks.

MMA-wide, Sakuraba v Newton was amazing.

Nog v Crocop was another great comeback fight.

In terms of sheer entertainment - Don Frye v Takayama was off the walls.

Nick Diaz v Gomi was fun to watch.

Frye versus Shamrock was great in terms of durability and tenacity. Both of those guys were warriors on that night.

Gomi v Azerado was a cracker too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Oh and Nick Diaz & Joe Riggs. They went at it again in the hospital after the fight. Come to think of it, don't think I've ever seen a boring Diaz fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Rampage vs Wanderlei 1,2 and soon to be 3

FACT

****, "UFC", i dunno BJ vs Matt Hughes i guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Huerta v Guida from last years TUF finale would take some beating. That was an amazing fight.

Hughes v St Pierre 2 was the. most excited I've been for a fight. The pleasure of seeing Matt Hughes kicked in the head was brilliant. I Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Frankie Edgar - Tyson Griffin was the first one that sprung to mind after the obvious Forrest - Stephan one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Couture vs Sylvia.. Most people didnt give Couture a prayer and yet he still ends up dominating in exciting fashion. David v Goliath and Rocky all rolled into one..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Couture vs Gonzaga

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Balfe

In no particular order..

Roger Huerta v Clay Guida
    Jared Rollins v Jon Koppenhaver
    Georges St Pierre v Matt Hughes II/III
    Clay Guida v Tyson Griffin
    Paul Taylor v Marcus Davis
    Forrest Griffin v Stephan Bonnar I
    Forrest Griffin v Shogun
    Chuck Liddell v Wanderlei Silva
    Forrest Griffin v Rampage Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Kalib Starnes vs. Nate Quarry just about pips Bonnar Vs Griffin TUF finale as the best UFC fight of recent times :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Balfe wrote: »
    In no particular order..

Roger Huerta v Clay Guida
    Jared Rollins v Jon Koppenhaver
    Georges St Pierre v Matt Hughes II/III
    Clay Guida v Tyson Griffin
    Paul Taylor v Marcus Davis
    Forrest Griffin v Stephan Bonnar I
    Forrest Griffin v Shogun
    Chuck Liddell v Wanderlei Silva
    Forrest Griffin v Rampage Jackson

List is pritty good but a few missed out on were:

Rampage Jackson V Dan Henderson
    George St. Pierre V Jon Fitch
    I'm hearing Karo Parisyean V Diego Sanchez was a really good fight , I didn't see it. Most of the fights I'm thinking of were beatdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Shogun Vs Forrest is one that springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

For me it has to be Ken Shamrock v Tito Ortiz - it was one sided, but the atmosphere for that fight was off the charts, particularly as the UFC still wasn't anywhere near the mainstream.
    The hype and entrances were as good as anything the UFC has ever done, and though Shamrock took a hell of a beating, he showed incredible heart.

Also, Mir beating Sylvia showed just what jits can do to a limb, and Mir v Lesnar was hugely enjoyable for someone who LOVES leg locks. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I will give you TIto vs Shamrock......but not sure about the others. I am noticing you seem to have a slight bias towards Mir.........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Barry.Commins

Some good ones already listed here's a few more:

Randy Couture vs Vitor Belfort I (Randy picked apart and broke a then 'unbeatable' Belfort). Belfort has never been the same since.

Tito Ortiz vs Frank Shamrock. Masterclass from Shamrock in how to stay safe on your back and the importance of good cardio.

Sean Sherk vs Matt Hughes was a great back and forth wrestling battle.

Outside of the UFC:

Wanderlei Silva vs Mark Hunt was epic. The hook Hunt sends Silva across the ring with is scary.

Nog vs Herring I was a cracker too. Nog throws every submission in his arsenal at Herring, who somehow managed to escape them all.

I really liked Rizzo-Couture I.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ramunas

Fedor vs Nogueira all 3 fights, Fedor vs Cro Cop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I remember seeing a great fight between Kimo and Paul Varleins (spelling?) back in the day...

Also, Griffin and Bonnar was class.

Ruas-Varelans was amazing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

What do you guys think was the best UFC Fight ever?(no Pride or other stuff)

Mine is Stephen Bonner vs Forrest Griffen TUF

Aint seen this in a while but I remember thinking that the decision was wrong, still a good fight though.

Not sure of my favourite but Hughes/Trigg II was a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Ortiz vs Shamrock (Ken) I.

Just loved watching Tito at his peak smashing up Ken. Just cos i dont really like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Robbie Lawlor vs Chris Lytle ( that fight is underrated as ****, if you want to see two guys just enjoying it and appreciating each others skill then watch it)
    Couture Vs Liddell I
    Liddell Vs Tito I was awesome. It was great fun watching Tito get put on the cage and smashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

mma in general my favourite fights were:
    shogun v lil nog
    igor v enson
    sakuraba v renzo
    sakuraba v newton
    cyborg v manhoef

in the ufc the first two that come to mind are

huerta v guida

royce v kimo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Any combination of Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez and Kayro Par..(sounds like he's from Paris:D ) were all good as far as I remember.
    Gsp v Trigg,
    Guida v Heurta,
    Escudero v Nover (TUF final) was pretty good.
    Jeremy Stevens v Rafael dos Anjos (jaysussss!)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

One of my favourites was Scott Smith vs Pete Sell

Sell looked to have floored him with a punch to the ribs and when he went for the finish Smith knocked him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Gonna go with two personal favourites of mine here.

Liddell/Ortiz II from UFC 66. It was the first UFC i'd actually watched in January 06 and the one that got me hooked. I had no plans on watching it and was recording it for a friend, and needless to say, the rest was history.

Also, not only was it the match that stole the show, but because i was there for it live, was Tyson Griffin v Clay Guida from UFC 72. Wrong man won as a result of the judges decision and it was booed out of the building, but definitely a breathtaking 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

War Machine v J-Roc

Advertisement