Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention: LUAS for Cork...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

we got double deckers now. don't need no stinkin' luas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Screw the Luas, we should do in Cork what they didn't have the balls for in Dublin, Ireland's first underground line! Start small and work out.

You cut and I'll cover!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Imagine if they had those boards telling you how long you'd be waiting for the next tram?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Dunno if they make them in light years until next tram....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would love to see an underground in cork,most citys in europe if not all have them.

• Advertisement

You do know the meaning of Corks name in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

You do know the meaning of Corks name in Irish?

Bottle?:pac:

I'm not sure how that would work. Would they follow the old original tram-lines that were in Cork a 100 years ago?

Why not invest in more buses/double-deckers/bendy-buses?

Oih, you... OUT! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

cork used to have used to have trams years ago, i think its a good clean idea and well needed to the dirty buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

more busses less traffic for me.
    Cork is a small city. I reckon with more park and rides, and less traffic through the city centre a decent bus service would be adequate. I would like to see proper dedicated bus lanes and proper not-part-of-the-road cycle lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

A LUAS is highly unecessary. More buses on time is what we need, and less traffic in the city. I can see the LUAS creating traffic rather than relieving it, what with all the traffic lights it would require.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Imo, there is as much chance of a Cork Luas being developed as there is of there been radical reform and improvement in the city's bus services as well as cycling infrastructure.

In otherwords little chance of any reform/development at all. Cork is possibly the most car dependent City in the nation, before any physical development occurs there has to be reform to allow the City and Region to plan and fund its own vision of how the area should develop rather then relying on central Gov. to lead the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

dahamsta wrote: »
    Screw the Luas, we should do in Cork what they didn't have the balls for in Dublin, Ireland's first underground line! Start small and work out.

You cut and I'll cover!

adam

Cork would never be given priority over Dublin for an underground system! If Dublin manages to secure a metro infrastructure in the future, maybe 50-100 years later Cork will get one! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

deRanged wrote: »
    proper not-part-of-the-road cycle lanes.

amen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

dahamsta wrote: »

You cut and I'll cover!

adam

Be interesting to see how they'd get around the whole Cork is a marshland thing.

Concrete!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Heh. We'd sink..

It'd get us in the news then!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Rofl Lundgren

Kold wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how they'd get around the whole Cork is a marshland thing.

One of those things that you don't think about in the sixth century. But it'll come back and bite you in the ass eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Don't we already have an underground?

You leave Kent station, use the underground, and end up in Blackpool. Not a very extensive system, granted, but it's a start;)

• Advertisement

LOL. New marketing strategy for Kent right there. De Tunnel! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I dont see the point of a metro in cork. cork is pure small, you can walk anywhere in the city in a reasonable time and the trams probably wouldnt go as far as bishopstown or even douglas.

I say take the proposed budget of 70squillion euro and pay off the car parks for the next fifty years to let everyone park for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,693 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Id prefer if they just sorted out the buses properly. How hard is it really to work out the estimated journey time based on averages over the past few months for all the various times in the day, and then print it out.

Absolutely no excuse for buses not arriving at the time on the timetable when most people driving anywhere experience almost exactly the same journey time to and from work every day. Barring accidents they're all fairly consistent patterns.

Instead, seems like they just figured "Era, its about 25minutes out to carrigaline, horse that down for all the times there", regardless whether its for 5am or 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Exactly. Yesterday I went to the bus stop outside my house to wait for the number 10. I was out there for 14.30, the bus was at 14.35. I stood there for an hour, in the freezing cold, and not a single bus arrived. Three bus times later like. The 10 going the other way passed twice too. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 j2hig

Cork city is too marshy for an underground train system. Rivers exsist under many of corks major streets. An investment into referbishing the old tram lines sounds lyk the best option. However many of the streets the trams used to run on have changed dramatically over the years the main example being patricks street. A tram line used to run down the middle of it and with its new modernisation it would be very difficult to put a tram line there unless patricks street was pedestrianised....

j2hig wrote: »
    Cork city is too marshy for an underground train system.
    That's crap. You could definitely put an underground under Cork city. If concrete doesn't work you could use iron or some kind of special plastic they use on space shuttles or one of those very strong wool blends farmers make their jackets out of. The heat tiles on the space shuttles use that. You could try different things in different sections, and replace the ones that fall apart with the ones that work.
    j2hig wrote: »
    Rivers exsist under many of corks major streets.
    That's crap too, an old wives tale. Cork is built on top of an extinct volcano called Corcegg, so-called because the top of it is shaped like the egg of a Corcadron dinosaur's egg. Hence the name. Everyone know that. :rolleyes:

Adam, put the keyboard down and step away from the computer..... LOL
    We'll have to think about implementing the sober filter that google have for GMail:

"Mail Goggles
    by Jon P

Google strives to make the world's information useful. Mail you send over the weekend late at night may be useful but you may regret it the next morning. Solve some simple math problems and you're good to go. Otherwise, get a good night's sleep and try again in the morning. After enabling this feature, you can adjust the schedule in the "General" settings page."

MC

Advertisement