Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Maynooth gone to sh*t?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

This post has been deleted.

Hey, I know the point you're making, and it's a good one.

The truth is I did put a lot of research into my course. But I have no sympathy for those out there who were like 'What CAO course will I apply for? I've loads of CDs, so I think I'll do music...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I kind of get the impression that the newer students seem to be brain-washed by MTV The Hills, if ya know what I mean :).
    But maybe it's the same as it always was only I see it different because it's not new and exciting anymore. I'm one of the older students now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Beau wrote: »
    And you've just come across a lot better!

Pisslips give us a hug and listen to donegalfella, I wouldn't dare come back to do a post grad in the college after spending four years already doing a degree. Why slog through another level of education anyway?

I'm genuinely afraid to get a job.
    I won't be able for it. It's the routine and the rules, I can't deal with it for more than like a week. Seriously I've always found summer jobs incredibly stressfull. Sometimes I say things like,''Nay, don't think I'll gett a job might get a few more years out of the system''
    But in truth i don't think I'm able to do anything else, mostly because I don't do anything...........which is nice.

Anyway back on topic, I sometimes wonder whether I should have gone to another university.On the plus side, i don't think any other university would have given me a degree, in fact I'm sure they wouldn't have. However, it might have been good to be forced to work hard and learn things but then I guess thats adult education.Definitely not a fantastic place but then there's a lot of crap colleges around, it's not so bad in comparison.

The fat girls things, is just inevitable and we've no control over it.

I hated the canteen and am happy that it's gone.

hmm...what else.

Well, the worst experience of my life was living in the river apartments. i never realised what it was to be genuinely unhappy before that.I felt like getting naked and throwing faeces at the people walking past my glass and lino cage.

Then in second year I drove straight into a bridge

Then in third year I got destructively drunk and almost fell through the roof of the roost.

Maybe I shouldn't go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Do you really think the college is responsible for all of the above!

Yes, sure what else could it be?!

Ha, no but the course was a bit **** for the first two years and then there was the paths, they never made sense and the people(security) watching everyone all the time, thats what bugged me most. I'm not a ****ing criminal and I don't need your protection....**** OFF!.

''So,where are ye goin'?''
    ''I'm off to the secret sex dungeon that was once the basement of rye hall, thats why I have the mask, obviously. Of course there may be minors present, I'm just going to investigate.I'm a reporter you see, for the hedonist weekly. Actually you look familiar, do you have a daughter?''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

pisslips wrote: »
    I'm genuinely afraid to get a job.
    I won't be able for it. It's the routine and the rules, I can't deal with it for more than like a week. Seriously I've always found summer jobs incredibly stressfull. Sometimes I say things like,''Nay, don't think I'll gett a job might get a few more years out of the system''
    But in truth i don't think I'm able to do anything else, mostly because I don't do anything...........which is nice.

Anyway back on topic, I sometimes wonder whether I should have gone to another university.On the plus side, i don't think any other university would have given me a degree, in fact I'm sure they wouldn't have. However, it might have been good to be forced to work hard and learn things but then I guess thats adult education.Definitely not a fantastic place but then there's a lot of crap colleges around, it's not so bad in comparison.
    fwiw I often wondered the same thing, especially since I had been offered a place in Galway after I accepted Maynooth. But now I'm in Galway and its almost the exact same as Maynooth in terms of facilities, except everything is overused cause there's twice as many students. And all the buildings are piled on top of each other cause its in the city and can't expand out the way maynooth has. I don't think there's a big difference between any of the unis except Belfast and Trinity which are something else.

As for a postgrad being like a job, I hoped it would be but the first semester hasn't been. Trying to make a more comprehensive schedule for myself for second semester. maybe if you were doing a phd it could be like a job.

Right so, it's not a ****hole and I should apply but I'm too immature and should get a job and some responsibility.
    Jesus,I haven't come far since secondary school.
    Well, in truth if I don't do education now I'll never do it. I mean is there any point in getting a job just for emotional maturity?
    Oh and the parents money thing isn't true, I'm independant.Although the taxpayer might be a different story.
    I was just pointing out a pattern that should make me think about avoiding the place forever even if it's the person and not the place would one really want to stick around and find out?

Anyway, this thread is about Maynooth.Maybe it's not so bad except for the paths, security,campus and arts block.I did have a lot of fun there also, it was actually class but now I guess it just seems smaller, there's nowhere i haven't been in that town at this stage. Going out there now is almost....dare I say it.....boring, I mean what can you do that hasn't been done. Maybe I did achieve something, I'm pretty sure I'll never have as much fun as I did in Maynooth unless i win the lotto or something.It's not the same anymore though.

fwiw I often wondered the same thing, especially since I had been offered a place in Galway after I accepted Maynooth. But now I'm in Galway and its almost the exact same as Maynooth in terms of facilities, except everything is overused cause there's twice as many students. And all the buildings are piled on top of each other cause its in the city and can't expand out the way maynooth has. I don't think there's a big difference between any of the unis except Belfast and Trinity which are something else.

As for a postgrad being like a job, I hoped it would be but the first semester hasn't been. Trying to make a more comprehensive schedule for myself for second semester. maybe if you were doing a phd it could be like a job.

I knew in primary school that I just wanted to go to school forever. It's ****ing hard to organise yourself, I'd say the hardest thing by far.I guess the only thing anyone has to learn to be successfull at anything is self discipline. It's actually a really difficult ongoing task, it's not simple at all.I don't really care about facilities, I just want to sit in lectures and tutorials all day and get handed books and do a few exams, thats all I want, you just need one room with about 15 students and one teacher for that, thats all I need a college to deliver.Obviously it doesn't work like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not sure how a postgrad would work for you so tbh, there's a lot less involvement from lecturers.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

im doing a phd in maynooth.. and done 4 years in it for a degree. Am still loving it though!!

The thing that gets me though is the LA is no more :(..

The roost isnt as good anymore :(

The SU hasnt been the same since it got its make over about 4 years ago. It was the place to be before that, well for me anyway.

RAG week is different. Maybe its just all the old ppls are not here anymore.

The glenroyal is full of fookin scum bags and is gone to crap.

Never seen so many scum bags in one place than last night outside Supermacs, it was ****in mad.

The lack of the hall and gym is killing me at the moment cant wait till it gets sorted.

...oh and if you want to stay in college after your degree do it.. and dont let anyone tell you you are being 'immature' or something just because you enjoy the college life.

I went working for a year before going back to may after my degree. Was only then i realised that i should of just stayed on.

I was always of the opinion that I chose to learn because I enjoyed it. I've had guidance councellors say things like,''don't worry about employment just do what you want to do most''
    And so I did
    And here I am
    Simple as that
    Fact is I have to get a job now anyway be it research in persuit of a post grad or whatever else, there's noone giving me hand-outs(anymore).
    I'm just not sure if I want a ''real job'' as some people might say.In fact it would probably mean a lot more work but at least I think I could do it and it might be interesting unlike the other option.Again though I would do it because I want to, not because of career development, in fact I've never even thought about career development. What the hell would I do with a career?Go to well-to-do bars and talk to ladys about my impressive c.v.?

And if you think I'm strange I know a few others in the same mind frame except some of them manage to fixate on something and convince themselves that it's very important and they would love to get the oppertunity to do that. It's what they always wanted really. And fair play to them. I'm just not bothered brainwashing myself so that I feel more comfortable with my choices.It's an absolute random occurance that I'm here now in this situation, there was no choice, people always take the easiest route......and then convince themselves otherwise.

ur quite similiar to me in some respects pisslips.. I worked for a year in industry and realised the rat race was not for me. Ive no problem with working, but whole up at 7 in the morning back at 7 at night done my head in. Had no time to myself.

The vast majority of phds are funded or you can apply for funding through a number of routes so its not like you wouldnt have money, also you can do labs and other things depending wat dept your in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Sure Maynooth is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Beau wrote: »
    I have been here for four years now.

Maybe you just need a change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mp3guy wrote: »
    :p

Now, now ... just because it burned down 3 weeks ago!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Hearing all of this is very off-putting to attend there next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Don't be disillusioned by the folks who are like practically part of the Maynooth scenery themselves, it's a grand enough spot ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

creggy wrote: »
    Hearing all of this is very off-putting to attend there next year!

Go into any of the college fora, creggy, and you'll find people ranting and people disagreeing ... sure it's normal!

One thing about Maynooth is it's somewhat smaller than most of the other universities ... and situated in a small town to boot.

That can actually be good in first year, easier to find your way around, settle in ... but can start to be a bit claustrophobic (for some) as time goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

You make a very good argument in all fairness. However I do think they are expanding far to quickly and are creating courses without the inter faculty corporation that is required or the willingness to adapt modules with students from new subjects. I had modules that were complete write offs because the college didn't pay for software that was vital to the module. In fact an entire year was wasted when the college delayed on recruiting a new course director which left our new course in limbo.

You say the careers office wasn't much any use anyway. I don't expect them to tell me what to do with my life but at least lay out the options my degree will give me. Not having that service there is a disaster.

I do need a change, wish I was able to do my final year/semester somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Oh lovely Maynooth; with your lovely trees and ivy, there's not another place in the world in which i'd be, with glorious music and beautiful sounds.
    The eyes are in awe of your incredible grounds.

Love ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yup, I started in September 1992 (almost 17 years ago!!) and can say that not only the University but the town has also improved beyond recognition!

Anyone remember the scummy public toilets in the square at the side of brady's pub? :puke: :D

It is a growing and constanly improving university no doubt. However, because it's an N.U.I., I think we're judging it against every other major university in Ireland,(UCD,TCD, UCC,....). I chose to come to maynooth ahead of the other colleges because I thought that they had better facilities and faculties in the subject that i wanted to persue.I'm not sure if they are the best but they're not bad. But why would an 18 year old choose to spend possibly their only time in third level education persuing a course thats ''not bad'' in a college thats ''fine''.
    The fact that beau had a ,from the sounds of it, dysfunctional course is completely unacceptable and is not some glitch, incoming students should be informed about these things before they make any choices instead of the vague propaganda the universties publicise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Yep I agree, these are the things that have to be resolved before hand
    instead of having all the students they want and nothing to do with them, it's slightly ridiculous.
    It's as if you built loads of houses in one place and sold them to people, but had no infrastructure(transport, schools, jobs) in the area to compliment the houses.
    Having lots of students doesn't make you a good college. In my opinion expert lecturers, lots of research funding, happy fulfilled students make a good college.

Advertisement