Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Maynooth gone to sh*t?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    3:1 what a sweet ratio. Though if it was 10:1 I'd be more content I'd say. They should do something about that. Petition anyone? :D
    The guy wrote: »
    Not in Computer Science or Electronic Engineering.
    Acacia wrote: »
    You can still check the girls out when they're going to their Arts lectures. :D

As a Computer Science & Engineering student I feel the pain all to well. Being surrounded with geeky smelly lads all day long is not good and having a 9 - 6 time table means I never see these hot women :D

One of my mates in first year is doing Biology (Arts) says the ratio in his class is more like 10:1. While in my classes its more like 10:1 or no ratio what do ever.

But I think the Computer Science department is very poor, lecturers are very poor most of them dont know how to use moodle and one of them is terrible but is yet one of the highest paid in Ireland never mind Maynooth. I only have one lecturer that makes material interesting. Like this was a response from a company about 3rd CSSE's
    "we were not terribly impressed this year with the students from NUI"
    "The DCU students just seem to be better technically and all 'round, this year."

One of my friends in 3rd year Maths (Science) says its "easier then 3rd year Maths should be" and I did a 3rd year Maths module last year and I found it much easier then first year Maths. But then again I know someone doing a pure Maths degree and its rock hard but there is only like 3 of them doing that course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I did one year of computer applications in DCU. Though the material was difficult and kinda boring to begin with, the lecturers did everything they could to make it interesting.

And now I'm doing music here - probably one of the most interesting subjects in the world and still they work so hard to make it boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

banquo wrote: »
    I did one year of computer applications in DCU. Though the material was difficult and kinda boring to begin with, the lecturers did everything they could to make it interesting.

And now I'm doing music here - probably one of the most interesting subjects in the world and still they work so hard to make it boring.

LBB? :D

LBB? :D

ME: LBB, do you have the time?
    LBB: 180 years since the passing of Franz Schubert. *sighs wistfully*

Obviously not a true story, but it totally could be :)

LBB is, however, a terrifyingly intelligent lady. And the quickest to help.

I orchestrated the Waldstein last year as my special project, and went to the different lecturers asking for help. Paddy just responded snidely "Eh, when would I have time for that?". Martin agreed to a meeting, then stood me up. LBB gave me her mobile phone number.

Edit: When posting this.. 'post', instead of the word 'post' the button said 'vote now'...

Her lectures are really really boring. There's no arguing that. But she's the kindest lecturer I've met to date and one of the most intelligent people I've ever spoken to.

Except in lectures. Snore.

I'm always curious Funky, what exactly is it you study? Year, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

2nd BMus.

So, twas 9 o'clock Monday mornings with her last semester..... :eek:

Tis true though, I always find her very easy to talk to.

BTW, difficult sounding project (we don't get to do one :( ). How'd it go?

• Advertisement

Not bad. The prof gave it 58. Then I put it on the internet and got a email from channel 4, then a phone call from Channel 4 asking me if they could us it in a documentary!

So I'm not the department's biggest fan. I remember those 9 o' clock mornings. Wait, no I don't. I'm lying, I never went. Maybe twice at the most.

I'll be honest, last year is all a bit blurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭synd

' wrote:
    So your solution is to pursue a postgraduate degree so that you can "get a few more years out of the system" at your parents' and/or the taxpayer's expense? Seriously, at this stage it is time to grow up. I'm assuming you are in your early 20s and you hold a university degree. You need to learn how to hold down a job responsibly without whining about what the "routine and the rules" are doing to your sense of self.
    ' wrote:

Well some jobs are better than others donegalfella, In my experience those not smothered by the workplace order and shafted with regards wages tend to invariably spout the meritocratic argument because they can ''afford'' to do so, both on a material and emotional level. Many graduates will be in no position to negotiate working conditions or wages when they enter the market. Student's living off the taxpayer ? False dichotomy - students are the future taxpayers, with ''minor'' exception. In effect they will pay the sum of their own tuition via tax.

I suggest you re-direct your attention to those who actually (do) leach of society, I don't see fingers being pointed at politicians or capitalists. What about profits ? expropriation of workers surplus value ?.

The position pisslips finds himself in is hardly unique - apprehensive about entering the a divided hierarchical arrangement for the rest of his life. Many wonder what position they will occupy and what degree of control they will be subjugated too, how powerless they will be in determining the conditions of their immediate existence. Three options exist - accept it - avoid it - or accept it and fight it.
    You don't seem able to motivate yourself to work unless you have someone "forcing" you to do so—i.e., you don't seem to appreciate that there's a huge difference between the spoon-feeding model of secondary school and the independent thought model of the university. At secondary school, teachers will chase after you to make sure you do your homework, &c. But a university creates the atmosphere and resources for sustained intellectual engagement, and lets students and faculty pursue their goals within that framework. Nobody is going to chase after you if you spend your time in the pub instead of in lectures. But you are going to waste your own opportunity if you do so.

As for the spoonfeeding model of secondary school you seem to misunderstand its purpose. Secondary schools have various curricula to meet societies ''requirements'' some teach internalization of subordination to authority - This serves to ensure there will be no shortage of demoralized drones who take orders and don't question the bosses commands. (Quit bitching and do what your ****ing told). Other schools namely middle class ones actually ''encourage'' freedom of expression and independent thought, after all we need managers, capitalists and CEOs don't we ? ;)

Unfortunately the system has a determental effect on many people and they learn only to doubt their own ability, but hey you need a mass of obedient serfs to man the machine of profit accumulation right >?

You really think that women go to college so that they can parade around looking thin and beautiful for your benefit?!

Yea Im sure he seriously thinks that - I mean surely he wasn't (joking) ?
    A mature person who doesn't like where he is living might decide to get up and move someplace else. Someone else might make lots of good friends and decide that he doesn't need a penthouse suite to be happy. But you sit inside fantasizing about throwing faeces at other people?!

Again you seem to misapprehend the post - do they have satire where you where brought up ?

5bnzi1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

I hate this place.

I'm not joking. I do music and the standard is a bunch of crap. I feel totally taken in by the prospectus.

In 3 years I have learned nothing. Not from not paying attention, I mean they're still telling us to "remember to include the *3rd* of the chord, that's very important..."

I shall never return. Even though I'll still be living in Maynooth I won't take the shortcut to town through the college.

A terrible place.

Aren't you running for office in the SU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Twigster wrote: »
    Aren't you running for office in the SU?

Thats a bit rough (the post you cited)

Why exactly are you nominating yourself as a college representative?

I think its pretty clear I meant the music dept when I refer to 'a terrible place'

• Advertisement

I think its pretty clear I meant the music dept when I refer to 'a terrible place'

OK. But if I were you I would have said:
    "I hate the music department"
    or
    "I wouldn't take a shortcut through the music department"
    or
    "I love maynooth and the students union, but I feel that the standard of the teaching of music leaves a lot to be desired"

Also I probably wouldnt have posted it in a thread titled "Has Maynooth gone to Sh1t?"

Just my mis-reading of it then. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lola1987

Dropped out of Maynooth just after Christmas 2007, because of my course, not the college. I loved the college. I'd say the lack of the canteen and gym is a pain in the arse though.

I'm in Trinity now which is quite dull and most of the people in my classes have gone to private schools and have these crazy high standards of French(I do French by the way lol) which is very daunting, and because all the students seem to know everything already, the lecturers and TA's don't really teach, which is awful for people who are struggling.

I found Maynooth way more student friendly and supportive and the students were more relaxed and well...normal...lol. Also Rag week in Trinity is frightfully boring...

You think Maynooth is dull and grey? Go check out the arts block in Trinity, its the ugliest building in the world, and looks like its badly in need of a lick of paint.

*sigh* I miss Maynooth....

Footbridge was a bitch though...

Lola1987 wrote: »

Footbridge was a bitch though...

yes, the bridge of death I believe it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Did anyone notice that maynooth now has cctv camera s all over the place .One is opposite the lotus restaurant and another beyond the train station other side of the road .

There's a big security problem with behind logic house/studio though. No lights / cameras and students stay there all night on projects (myself included). A lot of the female staff and students don't feel safe there, especially in winter when it gets dark so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

There's a big security problem with behind logic house/studio though. No lights / cameras and students stay there all night on projects (myself included). A lot of the female staff and students don't feel safe there, especially in winter when it gets dark so early.

But it's been that way for many, many years (at least 20 years) and how many incidents have been recorded there in that time? Throwing in a few lights is not going to prevent any attacks...it might help you fit the key into the lock of your bike when it's pitch black though!! :D

True enough I guess. I suppose it's a choice between pragmatism (nobody every actually gets attacked there) and comfort.

However, it totally would help with the key/lock situation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Sort out the muddy footpaths!

Maynooth has gone to sh*t.

Dont judge me on this, I'm not so sectarian as to grunt at the undergrad cooties now occupying Pugin hall* but for fecks sake - why why why go in, take FREE FU**ING WATER ,and take up four scarce seats at peak demand times???

That wasnt rhetorical, I know its because everyone is an a**hole.

Also, I dont like Lily Allan, much less a 20 minute conversation in broken americo-south dublinese

* http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=760

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

efla wrote: »
    Maynooth has gone to sh*t.

Dont judge me on this, I'm not so sectarian as to grunt at the undergrad cooties now occupying Pugin hall* but for fecks sake - why why why go in, take FREE FU**ING WATER ,and take up four scarce seats at peak demand times???

That wasnt rhetorical, I know its because everyone is an a**hole.

Also, I dont like Lily Allan, much less a 20 minute conversation in broken americo-south dublinese

* http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=760

It seems that has less to do with NUIM and more to do with people just being inconsiderate morons, happens everywhere tbh.

EDIT: Don't worry, come exam time those pesky undergrads won't have much time to spend lolling about Pugin hall taking up seats, they'll be too busy trying to cram in all the stuff they should have been learning all year...or at least that's how it was for me when I was an undergrad :)

I remember my PhD superviser once saying, 'Universities would run so much better if it wasn't for all the pesky students in them; :D

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I remember my PhD superviser once saying, 'Universities would run so much better if it wasn't for all the pesky students in them; :D

Nice, must use that in class next week!

Mine hasnt been the same since the canteen burned down, completely shattered his morning routine. Pugin seems to be too far a journey in the morning.

Its not his fault though, we all miss the good manky breakfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

As soggy as it was I'll miss the cold toast :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

efla wrote: »
    Nice, must use that in class next week!

And what if a fellow boards reader catches you out? Better think of a come back (and not post it here :p)

As soggy as it was I'll miss the cold toast :(

Actually, it's bread with lines drawn on it, blasted with a hair-dryer to keep it warm-ish. NUIM speciality, or at least it WAS. :(

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Actually, it's bread with lines drawn on it, blasted with a hair-dryer to keep it warm-ish. NUIM speciality, or at least it WAS. :(

<- most accurate observation ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bróg

I started in 2004 and finished in 2007 and loved every minute! took a year out and back now doing a postgrad but the brilliant people that I met during my undergrad years aren't all there now!don't like maynooth now but will never hate it as I have amazing memories of the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 YoungFolks

look i have been living in maynooth for 14 years now and im 21,student in dit,and i really wish people would quit bitchin,ESPECIALY people from lucan and leixlip,

i get on pretty well with bouncers in the roost an bradys an theyve told me that part of the reason maynooth has "changed",is that there are so many people who come from their town an act stupid,roarin,shoutin,fighting-since when is it ok for them to make the people who have been going out in maynooth for 4/5 years feel uncomfortable in thier local?of course they are welcome but they have no respect.now i feel scared to walk home.i feel scared to go to the playground.an this is my hometown!!!

so yeh,maybe maynooth has gotten ****,but it was great 3 years ago..:confused:

YoungFolks wrote: »
    look i have been living in maynooth for 14 years now and im 21,student in dit,and i really wish people would quit bitchin,ESPECIALY people from lucan and leixlip,

i get on pretty well with bouncers in the roost an bradys an theyve told me that part of the reason maynooth has "changed",is that there are so many people who come from their town an act stupid,roarin,shoutin,fighting-since when is it ok for them to make the people who have been going out in maynooth for 4/5 years feel uncomfortable in thier local?of course they are welcome but they have no respect.now i feel scared to walk home.i feel scared to go to the playground.an this is my hometown!!!

[sarcasm] Oh, I'm so very sorry. I'll stick to the ozone and the courtyard, time to segregate the commuters from the oh so well mannered Maynooth locals and resident students. I'm very sorry that our presence has made you feel unsafe. [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

YoungFolks wrote: »

The main problem in Maynooth is the locals. Not the students. Go out on a Saturday night in Maynooth when there's no students and you'll see some fairly violent antics on the main street that you wouldn't normally witness mid-week. The locals are all jealous of us smart lads behind the walls you see :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 YoungFolks

please tell me youre not actually so short sighted as to say its just the locals!come on!and btw youre in a university town-means lots of young people with a bit more spare time on thier hands and busy social lives,the majority of whom love a few drinks at the weekend.and if it is the locals then wouldnt they be fighting no matter what day?

and im SO sorry should apologise to the sensitive soul who doesnt like the thought of returning to the hozone or courtneys,but im sure they would welcome you back with open arms!!!take your lads from behind the wall too!!hehehe

Advertisement