Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Maynooth gone to sh*t?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I'm from Lucan but lived in Maynooth for 7 years out of the 12 years I studied and worked in NUIM.

Let's get some facts straight here. There are some asshole students, there are some asshole locals. However, the level of violence I witnessed over the years was higher at the weekends and the majority of the time the perpatrators were 'local'. I use inverted commas here because 'local' covers people from Maynooth and as far away as Enfield and Sallins who used to descend on the town for 'the Glenroyal' at the weekend.

I also witnessed some serious vandalism by both locals and students however, one particular act I witnessed happened on main street, was done by locals but yet the report in the Liffey Champion had a quote from a local councillor stating that students were to blame. When I contacted the councillor to correct this, the first thing he asked me was 'Do you vote in Maynooth?'. When I told him I didn't, he just smiled and said, 'well, the local people who voted me in here wouldn't be too happy with me if I said that the problem was one created by locals, it's easier for me to say that the students did it'.

In my experience up until 2004, I saw bad behaviour from students and locals but while most of the student behaviour was just bad manners (shouting in the streets at 3 am, nicking traffic cones and some fights), the worst behaviour I saw was from locals (5 on 1 fights, stamping on heads, use of broken bottles in a fight, smashing of a shop window...).

Oh and I remember a time when Brady's and Caufields did not welcome students, they were proper pubs for locals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

But that aside....

Maynooth is a lovely place, and I for one am very happy that I study here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'll stick to the ozone
    I have vowed to never go back into that outdated, stinking heap of a nightclub. I use the word nightclub very loosely too. The Roost is like Tripod on cocaine compared to that place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Maynooth is far from dangerous. Yeah there's a few punch ups when the doors close. That happens everywhere, I used to go to the ozone myself, that place is violent when it wants to be.

I' from Finglas originally and let me tell you its a completely different ball game.

As for being afraid of going to the playground etc? Those little muppets need a shouting at and a slap across the head and they scarper. The problem with anti social behaviour here is that nobody disciplines kids anymore!

/me cuts a switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

A girl was stabbed in the arm on campus in her apartment on Monday morning at 3am... How well the college are able to cover things over eh? I lived in that apartmant for3 years until last May... I'm still in a it of shock to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

starflake wrote: »
    A girl was stabbed in the arm on campus in her apartment on Monday morning at 3am... How well the college are able to cover things over eh? I lived in that apartmant for3 years until last May... I'm still in a it of shock to be honest

Has it not occurred to you that she might not want it made public knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

r3nu4l wrote: »

Oh and I remember a time when Brady's and Caufields did not welcome students, they were proper pubs for locals ;)

Reminds me of 'The League of Gentlmen'- "Are you local?":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Heard something about that. Think it was one of my students too. Wtf?

She's ok now, probably best her private life isn't discussed on a public forum though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Thanks Rozabeez..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Rozabeez wrote: »
    She's ok now, probably best her private life isn't discussed on a public forum though.

but but but, this forum could be like the Gossip Girl for Maynooth!!

xoxo Rozabeez...has a nice ring to it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MarkTheChap

I hope not mate because with me joining the reserves soon I'm going to be bigging it up in Maynooth from now on as I will be attending New Media lectures to advance in rank in a way thats acceptable to the parents see what I'm getting at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Teabag!

I hope not mate because with me joining the reserves soon I'm going to be bigging it up in Maynooth from now on as I will be attending New Media lectures to advance in rank in a way thats acceptable to the parents see what I'm getting at?

??

reserves???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

What exactly are you having trouble comprehending in his post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

mp3guy wrote: »
    What exactly are you having trouble comprehending in his post?

The beginning. And the middle. Also, the end.

It's the parents bit that got me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

With my becoming a student, I will soon be socializing in Maynooth whilst attending lectures in media studies to advance my prospects of upward mobility in a way that satisfies my parents?

You party make good study soon? :o

Its ok, I understand now ;)

Woooo! Spring Break!

• Advertisement
Advertisement