Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem with car!

Options
  • 16-12-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a BMW that is making a noise on the front left tyre as if the wheel is flat. Also causing slight vibrations to steering wheel. Does anyone know what it might be? Will it be expensive to get it fixed? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 djvext

I take it the wheel isn't actually flat? ;)

Vibrating steering wheel..bring it to the stealership or maybe Alan Carrol motors (have a good rep).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

First check that all the wheel nuts are done up correctly.

If that is the case it's most likely a wheel bearing ...dunno what that costs for a Beemer.

I'd advise against driving the car until this is fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

djvext wrote: »
    I take it the wheel isn't actually flat? ;)

Its only flat at the bottom, the top is fine ;)
    Kauto wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a BMW that is making a noise on the front left tyre as if the wheel is flat. Also causing slight vibrations to steering wheel. Does anyone know what it might be? Will it be expensive to get it fixed? Any help greatly appreciated.

What speed does it make the noise at?

Does it change during braking / cornering?

Have you jacked up the car and given it a spin?

peasant wrote: »
    If that is the case it's most likely a wheel bearing ...dunno what that costs for a Beemer.

If it is a wheel bearing, the fronts aren't too bad to change.... the part can be a little bit expensive at it nearly always comes with the hub.

I'd say you'll be looking at an hours labour tops at an indy to change it....

If your front pads need changing, it would be a good time to do them also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Could also be a wheel weight has come off. Check that the number of wheel weights are symmetrical across each axle of the car....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Johnnyghia

hi
    Check the tyre for damage. IE bulges on the inner tyre wall from potholes etc.
    Happened to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Kauto wrote: »
    Hi,

Could be the front suspension bushings, I've a similar scenario with my 318Ci at the moment and I'm due to get it sorted just after Xmas. It's still OK to drive but I wouldn't drive it for very long distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Sounds like it could be a wheel bearing!
    not a big job but you should not drive the car until its been checked out by a garage

Advertisement