Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Droplets forming on roof felt

Options
  • 16-12-2008 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a problem that I only noticed Sunday evening when I went into the attic to take down some decorations.

I noticed while up there that they are numerous water droplets formed on the inside of the roof felt.

It is a semi-detached house, almost 15 years old. I never noticed this before but I have only had the house for 3 years and have never really fully climbed into the attic before. The only major work I carried out was replacing the timber fasica with PVC earlier this year.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Condensation - warm air meets cold felt.

Did you install adequate vents in new upvc soffit / fascia?

Good ventilation of the roof space will solve the problem. There are a number of recent threads on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the reply.

I should have done a search before I posted, noob mistake.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

I have a similar problem at the moment.

I think mine is because a lot of heat seems to be travelling up to the expansion tank in the attic. I went up the other day and the expansion tank was pretty warm and there was a lot of condensation on the roof felt dripping down onto the insulation.

Nothing like having a radiator in the attic space...keep the mice warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's also very important that any tanks in the attic (header and cold water tanks) have a proper close fitting lid fitted to minimise evaporation (in addition to the hygiene issues!).

Advertisement