Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbreaking an IPhone for use on the Meteor network

• 16-12-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The question is in the title.

Which would be the best program to use?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Hi,

The question is in the title.

Which would be the best program to use?

Thanks...

Quickpwn - see the tutorials on iClarified.com for much more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

Jailbreaking is not unlocking. Merely jailbreaking an O2-purchased iPhone won't allow you to use it on another network. Jailbreaking merely allows you to install apps other than the Apple-authorized apps available in the iTunes Store.

To use your iPhone on another network, you need to unlock it. The original iPhone (no longer available through O2) can be unlocked using Pwnage or quickpwn. The iPhone 3G cannot, as of this date be unlocked in that way but can apparently be used on other networks using a so-called "TurboSIM." I can't vouch for the latter solution.

[Update:] The iPhone Dev team (the people responsible for Pwnage and Quickpwn) announced today that they have unlocked the iPhone 3G and plan to release the software on New Year's Eve. So you may be able to use an iPhone 3G on Meteor. However, your iPhone 3G must have version 2.1 of the software (or have been jailbroken leaving the 2.1 baseband intact) in order to unlock it. If your iPhone 3G has version 2.2 of the stock iPhone software, you won't be able to unlock it even when this crack is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Soarer

If ye don't mind me asking....
    If I get a turbo-sim (or whatever) to allow my iPhone be used on Meteor, how does it affect it? Do I lost access to iTunes? Do I lose useability?

Basically, if I use my iPhone on Meteor, will it be as o2 but with Meteor?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Soarer

No takers no?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

TurboSIMs apparently rely on all kinds of spoofing and are therefore inherently unreliable. For example, when Apple updates the firmware in the iPhone, it usually breaks all TurboSIMs, so you'll have to buy another one.

The best option is to buy a factory-unlocked iPhone. Short of that, the best option is to unlock the phone using the upcoming tool from the Dev Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Really man/woman, use google, all the answers are on there and in more detail than you will get here. This topic has been covered on here also if you searched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

There will be a consumer-friendly unlocker available on new years eve for the iphone 3g. Google it.

Advertisement