Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coat stolen from nightclub cloakroom

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cabaal wrote: »
    why should anybody get a years free anything, the coat is all thats the problem

True, and also if that's the way this club treats their customers, I can't see why you'd want to go back.

OP, if you're reluctant to contact a solicitor straight away, you could always draft up a letter yourself saying that if they have not either found your coat or reimbursed you for it by 'X' date, you will be pursuing the matter through the small claims court. Small claims court is free and you won't need to pay a solicitor to write the letter. It could be enough to scare them into paying up. If you get no joy from that, then it might be time to consult a solicitor, try small claims first tho. Try giving the National Consumer Agency a buzz on 1890432432 and see what advice they give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

I'd go straight the Guards and file complaint. What's the use of a coat check if they can keep your coat from getting stolen? A phone call from the Guards to the manager would change is "policy" fairly quickly, and keep in mind policies aren't laws.

I had a problem at a pub once, they painted the stone walls of the beer garden white and failed to put up a sign, I was sitting on a stool and leaning against the wall and got white paint all over my jacket, they paid to have it cleaned and were apologetic about it.

Also, your coat check woman's attitude is ridiculous, she obviously gave your coat away to someone dishonest or took it herself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd go straight the Guards and file complaint. What's the use of a coat check if they can keep your coat from getting stolen? A phone call from the Guards to the manager would change is "policy" fairly quickly, and keep in mind policies aren't laws.

I had a problem at a pub once, they painted the stone walls of the beer garden white and failed to put up a sign, I was sitting on a stool and leaning against the wall and got white paint all over my jacket, they paid to have it cleaned and were apologetic about it.

Also, your coat check woman's attitude is ridiculous, she obviously gave your coat away to someone dishonest or took it herself.

Its nothing to do with the Gardai, nobody should be wasting there time with such nonsense,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its nothing to do with the Gardai, nobody should be wasting there time with such nonsense,
    Exactly, it is a civil matter.

The small claims court is not free its 15 euro but it is the route the op should take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Greener wrote: »
    Not sure actually. Interesting point though ;)

I'll be meeting with him sometime this week so hopefully it wont have to come to threats of court etc., but if it does come down to that I certainly wont be letting it go. Im sure they have insurance anyway and €100 isnt going to break the bank for them.

So thanks for all your comments-really helps me feel better about the whole thing!! I'll keep you guys posted

Name the Nightclub. Call Joe Duffy, you never know, it would be sweet revenge. A lot of people have been out over Xmas at parties recently. I wouldn't accept anything less than a full refund and I'd imagine this sort of thing would be covered by the Small Claims Court. If there was only 1 person working in the cloakroom all night it's likely her who misplaced it, for whatever reason. I'd make that point to the manager when you meet him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Greener wrote: »

The manager said to leave it a week to see if someone returns it and then he will make the final decision regarding reimbursement but it seems very unlikely by what he said. Id rather not name the place until I have his final decision, just in case he gets an attack of conscience. Karma and all that. Miracles can happen at Christmas you know. It's just so unfair :(

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I'd love to know where you were as it could be a scam.

Long and the short of it is i had a brand new jacket cost over €90 wore it out. Paid for it in the cloakroom and when i went back it was gone.

I said i'm not leaving without it and was forceibly ejected from the place. They thought that was the end of it. I called them the next day and got the same responce leave it a few days it might turn up. Fortunately the place didn't have a sign saying 'items carried at owners risk' so i was on a winner anyway.

I rang them the following day (day 3) and said i got a quote for the price of a new jacket and i was bringing it around. When i arrived he handed me my jacket back.

****ing chancers, Keep hassling them you will prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I'd love to know where you were as it could be a scam.

Long and the short of it is i had a brand new jacket cost over €90 wore it out. Paid for it in the cloakroom and when i went back it was gone.

I said i'm not leaving without it and was forceibly ejected from the place. They thought that was the end of it. I called them the next day and got the same responce leave it a few days it might turn up. Fortunately the place didn't have a sign saying 'items carried at owners risk' so i was on a winner anyway.

I rang them the following day (day 3) and said i got a quote for the price of a new jacket and i was bringing it around. When i arrived he handed me my jacket back.

****ing chancers, Keep hassling them you will prevail.
    Don't flatter yourself, nobody cares about a €90. Its the €500-600 jackets that might get a bit of interest.

axer wrote: »
    Exactly, it is a civil matter.

The small claims court is not free its 15 euro but it is the route the op should take.

Wrong. Theft is a criminal matter. It only takes a few minutes to make a report and it's required for insurance claims. So you should make a report to the Gardai, if nothing else you can go to the manager of the kip and tell him that. If 10 people go in to the Gardai making a report of a lost coat from the same place over a period of 2/3 weekends, it might ring a bell with them and they might uncover a scam.

Don't flatter yourself, nobody cares about a €90. Its the €500-600 jackets that might get a bit of interest.

Well they clearly did care enough about my jacket to steal it. You sound like one of them. Keep your ridiculous comments to yourself, €90 is better in my pocket than in those thievin bastarts'.

And you would want to be a total idiot to wear a €500 to €600 jacket out to a nightclub to get drink spilled all over it. Or even spend that much on a jacket in the first place is idiotic.

Well they clearly did care enough about my jacket to steal it. You sound like one of them. Keep your ridiculous comments to yourself, €90 is better in my pocket than in those thievin bastarts'.

And you would want to be a total idiot to wear a €500 to €600 jacket out to a nightclub to get drink spilled all over it. Or even spend that much on a jacket in the first place is idiotic.

They probably had misplaced it.
    And some of us actually have money to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

More like nobody cares about your comments if you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything at all

More like nobody cares about your comments if you dont have anything helpful to say dont say anything at all

You had nothing helpful to say there so why didn't you take your own advice and shut up?

You had nothing helpful to say there so why didn't you take your own advice and shut up?

Quiet foolish for someone who is lounging on the dole to spend 600 on a jacket imo. Even more foolish to leave it in the hands of some dodgy coatdealer in a dingy nightclub.

They probably had misplaced it.
    And some of us actually have money to spend.

Cheers nighrider and jeses.

Ye they misplaced it alright back in one of their staffs' houses. Point is if i didn't keep tormenting these cnuts i would never have got it back.

You can waste all the money you like on €500 jackets i don't care.
    Cant take it with you.........

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wrong. Theft is a criminal matter. It only takes a few minutes to make a report and it's required for insurance claims. So you should make a report to the Gardai, if nothing else you can go to the manager of the kip and tell him that. If 10 people go in to the Gardai making a report of a lost coat from the same place over a period of 2/3 weekends, it might ring a bell with them and they might uncover a scam.

Who says its theft?
    The jacket could have been misplaced or given to the wrong person by accident, neither of which is theft

The OP believes its been stolen but that doesn't make it stolen, its merely a belief with no proof or evidence to back up this belief (it doesn't matter if the coat room person doesn't speak very good english that has nothing to do with it) as such the above two choices still apply (given to wrong person or misplaced)

Its not a criminal matter and no Gardai is going to waste there time over it, whats been said is pure speculation....saying that coat is stolen and/or other coats may have been stolen.
    Ye they misplaced it alright back in one of their staffs' houses. Point is if i didn't keep tormenting these cnuts i would never have got it back.

Again this type of stuff is pure speculation and is not helpful to anyone imho

Quiet foolish for someone who is lounging on the dole to spend 600 on a jacket imo.
    Note when you are about to earn what I am and you have 3 credit cards.
    Even more foolish to leave it in the hands of some dodgy coatdealer in a dingy nightclub.
    Not when you go to the clubs I go to.

Again this type of stuff is pure speculation and is not helpful to anyone imho

In all fairness if they had it there they would have given it to me the next day. I know i dont know what happened to it while i didn't have it but it was three days before it magically appeared again. :rolleyes:

Who says its theft?

Nobody but it's a possibility. Your car could be missing from outside your house and it might not be theft. But it's missing and for insurance purposes you need to make a report. Nothing is proved until it's proved obviously.
    The jacket could have been misplaced or given to the wrong person by accident, neither of which is theft

Agreed but I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Equally it MIGHT be theft and in the absence of ANY appropriate action from the club it's the next logical step. Making a routine report to the Gardai about possible stolen property is not "wasting time". Just go in and say you want to make a report, they don't mind, they're usually sympathetic and that's what they're there for. You're not asking them to get Harcourt St onto it or launch a 10-man investigation. It takes about 3 minutes and nobody, not you or the Gardai, expects anything to come of it. The Gardai know why you're there and are more than happy to oblige in my experience.

Note when you are about to earn what I am and you have 3 credit cards.

Most people I know with 3 credit cards are broke, that's why they have 3. Anybody I know with real money has 1 with a whopper limit on it. How on earth you could get 3 credit cards based on money you're "about" to earn is another question. Sounds like more tall tales.
    Not when you go to the clubs I go to.

:rolleyes: Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hes a troll, stop feeding him.

• Advertisement

Most people I know with 3 credit cards are broke, that's why they have 3. Anybody I know with real money has 1 with a whopper limit on it. How on earth you could get 3 credit cards based on money you're "about" to earn is another question. Sounds like more tall tales.

:rolleyes: Lol.
    They're all less than 10% apr and I only use the free 2 months credit. I'm good with money and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

banned for 7 days

Anyway OP do give us an update when you get your jacket back

In all fairness if they had it there they would have given it to me the next day. I know i dont know what happened to it while i didn't have it but it was three days before it magically appeared again. :rolleyes:

In all fairness such comments are still not helpful, I could say you burn and kill kittens and rape sheep but I don;'t because such things could land me in trouble and wouldn't help anyone.

Its one thing saying a it might have been stolen from the club its another to say a staff member stole it. Stick to what is known not speculation.

The best approach is for the OP to meet with manager of the place and go from there and we still have to be updated about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FiddyP

i just had a very similar situation happen to me. again a nightclub in dublin 'lost' my jacket. however the staff weren't as incompetant as your staff seemed to be. i talked with the manager immediately and he seemed to have an idea about what was going to happen and said if the jacket didnt turn up, i was entitled to compensation.

this didnt prevent me from sending a strongly worded email though;)

my sister advised me to get in contact with todayfm or some other station that would deal with consomer rights. thats going to be next course of action if they dont rectify the situation.

i was out last night, wasnt expecting to go out so i had my ipod with me, had it hidden best i could in my jacket in an inside pocket, paid the €2 charge, got the jacket back at the end of the night with no ipod in it, talked to the bouncer who put me on to some other guy who was helpful enough, took my name and number and said they would check the cameras they have in the cloakrooms, said nothing like this has happened before and will get back to me, raging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i was out last night, wasnt expecting to go out so i had my ipod with me, had it hidden best i could in my jacket in an inside pocket, paid the €2 charge, got the jacket back at the end of the night with no ipod in it, talked to the bouncer who put me on to some other guy who was helpful enough, took my name and number and said they would check the cameras they have in the cloakrooms, said nothing like this has happened before and will get back to me, raging
    as you paid for the cloakroom facility they have a duty of care to your coat/jacket which i would think would not cover valuables which were placed in the pockets as they could have fallen out at any time either before you handed in the jacket or afterwards on your way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    as you paid for the cloakroom facility they have a duty of care to your coat/jacket which i would think would not cover valuables which were placed in the pockets as they could have fallen out at any time either before you handed in the jacket or afterwards on your way home.
    and there is no way to even know the OP actually had the iPod in his/her jacket other than their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Deleted User Please note that you posted in a thread that is more than a year old.

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement