Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird smell from drains

Options
  • 16-12-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    We have just moved into a new place and has noticed a bit of a smell coming from the drains. We have a washing machine and dishwasher hooked to the pipes under the sink and the smell comes from them as well. The smell is also noticed (and strongest) when we open the cupboard doors under the sink.
    Could this be a lack of seal around the drain pipes causing the smell to come up from the drains? We have not noticed any water uner the sink.
    Any help is welcomed...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Most drain pipes have a u bend in them which contains water which helps prevent smells coming up from the drains themselves. Where pipes discharge to a drain without a u-bend, they usually terminate above the shore so that any smell from the drain can be disappated into the atmosphere before it gets a chance to waft up the drain pipe.

However, invariably food bits lodge in sink waste pipes and rot so some drain cleaner might shift these. You could also take off the u-bend and see if its clogged with rotting food/grease. Finally have a look at the outside drains themselves to see if they're clean.

Failing all that, have you a dead mouse under the sink? They might be small but they stink like hell when their bodies rot - I've been there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Yeah, we put a bottle of bleach down the drain and that did not have any effect. I bought some drain cleaner and put in the recommended amount (200 ml) and that didn't have any effect either. When I put in the bleach I thought I could smell bleach from under the sink (but of course the bleach smell could be from the sink drain - it is quite strong after all). Is it possible to have a seal that leaks the smell from the drains but not liquid from the sink?

I will try to open the U-bend to see if it is clogged with rotting food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Is it possible to have a seal that leaks the smell from the drains but not liquid from the sink?

I will try to open the U-bend to see if it is clogged with rotting food.

No, a broken seal would leak liquid as well as smell.
    Buy a real cheap bottle of Vinegar in Aldi. Pour a cup down and leave for an hour or overnight. It will dislodge any grease build up.

Run cold water in sink for afew minutes to ensure system is flushed out. This will also help replace water in trap / u-bend!

If this fails then its time to open the u-bend. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

the terrain 4"-1.5" plug could be damaged or may have popped out of 4 " waste pipe in floor behind your sink unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

the terrain 4"-1.5" plug could be damaged or may have popped out of 4 " waste pipe in floor behind your sink unit.

what's the terrain plug? where would it be on the sink unit?

• Advertisement
Advertisement