Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panini's

• 16-12-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a gorgeous panini in my local deli yesterday and I want to be able to recreate it at home.

The bread: it looks like the uncooked cusine de france rolls in tescos i.e. the ones you put in the oven. Are they what I should be using? and I can I put them straight into the panini maker? They aren't pre-cooked in any way in the deli from what I can see.

The chicken: They use chopped up chicken tikka. How do I make chicken that has a spicey outside to be chopped up easily?

Sweet chilli sauce: I presume I can just buy this in a supermarket?

There was also cheddar cheese and tomato.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

First of all, Panini is already the plural - one on its own is a panino.

The Cuisine de France rolls you see them using in the deli are par-baked. You can buy these in the supermarket, but to be honest, you'd be better off buying fresh or par-baked ciabatta for panini, not baguettes. And you don't need to buy a specific panini grill, a George Foreman grill works just as well.

For the chicken tikka, just chop up a chicken fillet, stick it in a plastic bag with some tikka paste or powder, shake it to coat and fry or grill. Alternatively you can coat & cook the whole breast and chop it afterwards, but it won't be as tikka-y. You can also buy cooked, chopped chicken tikka packets in the supermarket (think Ballyfree make them) but they're rubbish value.

You can buy sweet chilli sauce in any supermarket or Asian deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Take the par baked panini bread cut it down the side and remove some of the bread to make a hollow in the bread. When you fill it will be easier to put on the grill and the filling will not spill out and make a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Honey-ec wrote: »
    First of all, Panini is already the plural - one on its own is a panino.

Thank you!!

Don't you just hate ordering a panino at the deli only to get a blank faced expression from some dimwit and a "whaa? dya mean a paneenee?":P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

use the cusine de france ones and cook the pannini in a george foreman...they come out exactly the same as a cafe one

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

What is it about panini that's so seductive for the inappropriate apostrophe merchants. My local Centra advertises sandwiches, rolls, panini's and bagels. Only the panini gets the apostrophe, apart from the double plural. Is it a random thing, or is there some rationale here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement