Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBA and Unix/Linux Certifications - Advice Please?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi there - am looking to get OCA certified ASAP and am slightly confused re. the Oracle OCA 10g and 11g routes. Despite the obvious argument for 11g a lot of talk on discussion boards seems to advise following the 10g route for some odd reason? The Oracle site just advises you to review the subject matter and choose accordingly in line with your career goals etc? :confused:

- Also would appreciate any advice on a specific book to choose for self-study.

Re. the Linux/Unix route - has anyone gotten certified recently - I'm following the LPI route and would again appreciate any helpful pointer re. books that you have found to be worth investing in.

* Credit to Feelgood for taking a pile of time out of his schedule [twice!] to offer me some really great advice re. my cert. goals - thanks again ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

From my experience, working as an Oracle consultant, most people are either only moving to 10g, or have done so in the past year or so.

Hence, my own personal recommendation to concentrate on 10g. I am currently studying for the 10g OCP, having achieved the OCA a few weeks back.

As for books, I used the Osborne all in one OCP guide. TBH, it wasn't the greatest, I relied more on hands-on experience than that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Perfect - thanks a million for taking the time to reply Tom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

For the LPIC-1 I found the '...In A Nutshell" guide was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Only just saw this post - thanks a million Creed ;)

Advertisement