Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 DVD drives - can I make one region 1 and one region 2?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

As the title says really! I have both region 1 and region 2 dvds and with the low price of DVD drives I was thinking of getting 2 and making one region 1 and one region 2 instead of messing around with firmware hacks etc. I was looking at the Samsung S223F as the reviews are pretty good and it's cheap. My main concern is that the software might try and change the regions of both together because they're the same make/model of drive.

Anyone done something similar? Would it be safer to buy 2 different makes? (but of course that wouldn't look as good :-) )

Thanks,
    Timmaii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'd go with the 1 drive unless you need two and just do the firmware hack - they're incredibly easy to do and as long as you don't power off the PC they're grand.. with the cheap price of the drives what have you got to lose? I've got two drives myself, both are Region Free now, never look back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is software to make a Dvd drive ignore what region it is. I dont know if i can name it though as it could also be used to do something that is against the Computer and Tech charter to talk about, so presumably same rules apply here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll look into it a bit more. I was thinking that 2 drives would be handy for iTunes etc. where you could queue CDs. Might save you a small bit of time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Murph5

FWIW, my rig has 2 Samsung SH-203P DVD drives, and I had no problem changing just 1 of the drives to Region 1 a few weeks ago (through Windoze Media Player when I tried to play a Yank DVD). The other drive wasn't affected at all, and stayed Region 2. I'm too much of a noob to go near firmware hacks for them.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

90% of modern dvd drives are now region free... since firmware hacks have been around for years most dvd drive vendors abandoned setting regions

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Google VLC media player and download - it's free.

It ignores region protection.
    It's also probably the best all-round media player available.

Advertisement