Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shounen Battle!

Options
  • 16-12-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

So, there's the big three Shounen jump series that are still being released, both as manga and anime : Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.

I've seen lots of threads on various forums, with people ripping the shhhhoes out of some shows and singing the praises of others.

Just wondering which of the shows do you watch or read, and which can you not stand?

Shounen showdown 29 votes

Naruto
    0% 0 votes
    Bleach
    31% 9 votes
    One Piece
    44% 13 votes
    Atari Soul Eater
    24% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Personally I read them all.

Though I really don't like Naruto.

One Piece is easily the best of them, by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Was I wrong in summing up One Piece as "a big load of gay" just going by the opening credits?
    Couldn't bring myself to watch past that:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

tman wrote: »
    Was I wrong in summing up One Piece as "a big load of gay" just going by the opening credits?
    Dub or sub?

I watch Naruto and Bleach - I couldn't get into One Piece

You should have listed D. Gray Man ;)

tman wrote: »

I felt that way about the anime. Though I've heard it gets better past the first few episodes.

The One Piece manga is amongst the best I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

One Piece is better than the others combined x100.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DingChavez wrote: »
    One Piece is better than the others combined x100.
    +1, Mr. Chav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I watch & read Naruto and just watch Bleach.

Think I might try get my hands on the first couple of volumes of One Piece, keep on hearing how good the manga is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bleach: gave up after filler (Bountou arc), didn't care about the manga.
    Naruto: gave up after filler (episode... 20-odd? I forgot :P), read 365-ish chapters of the manga but then gave up -- got tedious. Might restart it.
    One Piece: enjoyed every episode I've seen (randomly! :pac:), but too intimidated to start the manga TBH.

... still, for overall style, One Piece's pirates beat Naruto's "ninjas" and Bleach's... Japanese samurai*-crap.

(Bleach DS bloody rocks though!)

*no, you don't need to point it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I've felt Bleach has really gone downhill now and there's very little substance left. Naruto is pretty decent but I would have to say One Piece is my favourite by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

only read bleach so it was quite easy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Reading Naruto, and watching Bleach (only on ep 167).

Have to say, i didnt know the Bounto arc was filler when i was watching it, so really enjoyed the second half of it.

Watched first ep of One Piece, and hated it? Willing to give it another go tho, based on the comments here, so am I better off reading the manga, or watching the anime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Have to say, i didnt know the Bounto arc was filler when i was watching it, so really enjoyed the second half of it.
    IT MADE NO SENSE! Seriously, they create an invincible army of mosquito-things which can increase their reiatsu, then just discard them when they go to Soul Society (which provides a larger boost than the mosquitos anyway :confused:). Then they form an army of people to attack Rukongai, then kill them as soon as they open a gate.:confused: Then Kariya absorbs some kind of power-source which messes up the series timeline just by existing. At the end he fights Ichigo and starts winning, then just randomly dies.

The worst part was this: Uryuu and an ex-captain are fighting Kariya. Kariya is severely injured but will regenerate soon unless finished off. Also, the ex-captain's reiatsu is going out of control. Uryuu has no choice but to absorb the EC's reiatsu into a giant, super-powerful arrow and fire it... into the sky. Wait, WHAT?! Kariya gets up and beats him. WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOOT KARIYA?! Also, it was established that overloading the Quincy bangle would cause it to explode violently, but it doesn't for some reason. Did I mention that Uryuu acts like some kind of power-crazed fool in this arc?

Other oddities: Ichigo arbitrarily loses his Bankai and has to stand around talking to Zangetsu until he gets it back. Renji can still use Bankai, but he doesn't use it even when his life is in danger. The new Mod Souls are crazy-powerful when they first appear and useless on every subsequent appearance. Soi Fong forgot how her own zanpakuto worked. It is obvious that the writers had no clue what the Bounts' plans were going to be, as many of their actions seem self-destructive and random. In the end, they had Uryuu show up and help them for no particular reason. (It seems that firing an arrow at a gate is sufficient to turn it into a complex spirit/matter conversion gate which only Urahara is supposed to be able to make :confused:)
    Watched first ep of One Piece, and hated it? Willing to give it another go tho, based on the comments here, so am I better off reading the manga, or watching the anime?
    Dub or sub? I only watched it for Zolo ("'tis but a flesh wound!").

Reading Naruto, and watching Bleach (only on ep 167).

The first few episodes of the anime are a bit ****. So I say read the manga. (Every manga is better than the anime thats based on it anyway)

I'm told the anime gets better later on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Definitely keep trying with One Piece. It gets much better. The Chopper backstory is one of the most moving stories I've seen. If you're worried that it's immature, don't, it's not.

Advertisement