Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The EU Commission has drawn up proposals to impose catching quotas on pleasure anglin

Options
  • 16-12-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

The EU have the audacity to come up with quotos for the ordinary family guy out pleasue fishing with a rod after they raped our shores with foreign factory trawlers.

This has absolutly NOTHING got to do with fish quantities, it is all got to do with controll over you and me. They will soon impose angling licences to fish in the sea, just like we have on our inland waterways.

When the EU eventually "take over" they can monitor each individual with electronic "smart cards" to see how much they caught.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1216/fishing.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Yes, but in reality it is actually to do with stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

When the EU eventually "take over" they can monitor each individual with electronic "smart cards" to see how much they caught.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1216/fishing.html

Smart cards won't be able to tell you how many fish a person has caught. Unless they RFID all the fish in the seas. Hmm, there's an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This has absolutly NOTHING got to do with fish quantities

No, anything to do with overfishing, trying to protect fish stocks...purely coincidental.....
    .When the EU eventually "take over" they can monitor each individual with electronic "smart cards" to see how much they caught

'Deep in the Fuhrer Bunker in Brussels, a light flashes - "Merde" screamed SturmbannFuhrer Sarkozy, "Zer is that paddy fisheeng again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Gordon wrote: »
    Smart cards won't be able to tell you how many fish a person has caught. Unless they RFID all the fish in the seas. Hmm, there's an idea.

When you leave the work camp with your fishing rod for designated fishing time an EU Commisar will accompany you to weigh your catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

doesn't affect me, I never ****ing catch anything anyway :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Gordon wrote: »
    Smart cards can hold information. You get caught with one or two to many your license gets revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭boring_job_guy

coz everyone knows that it's actually the few fish here and ther caught by angling that are to blame for the depletion of fish stocks and not those huge trawlers that catch thousands on a regular basis.

The fact that we still "hunt" for fish appals me. Why do all our fish not come from fish farms?

(fish is mank anyway so i don't really care).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Christ dude...YES, we are all out to get you. I have your position sighted by four snipers. I secretly 'tagged' you at birth. I also invented a super secret invisible flying CCTV camera that follows you everywhere. I'm reading all your texts right now (leave your mammy alone, she seems nice).

I also bred all fish with a small but identifiable radioactive isotope to aid in tracking and to enable satellite photography of the contents of your stomach to make sure you aren't smuggling any anti-regime propaganda. The reason we need the quotas is to stop you getting radiation poisoning.

There, you broke me...I am the NWO and you have all my secrets.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The fact that we still "hunt" for fish appals me. Why do all our fish not come from fish farms?

Lolz. You do know that farmed fish have to eat protein to grow to market size right? And where do you think that protein comes from, thin air?

It takes about 3-5 tonnes of fishmeal to raise 1 tonne of salmon/cod etc - you can't farm fish without catching wild fish to feed them...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's madness to think that putting limits on rod caught fish is going to make any inroads into the decimation caused at sea by massive factory trawlers. The effect the rod and line men have fishing from the shore is negligible.

This will turn into another money grabbing scheme just like the salmon licence - it doubled last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

relax op, its cortaz that they're really after

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... This will turn into another money grabbing scheme just like the salmon licence - it doubled last year.
    Of course it will.
    These are the exact same EU politicians who completely disregarded their own scientific research on cod stock protection, and gave over-large quotas to commercial fleets. Now we see the fig leaf they will wear to show how they protect fish stocks. Setting up angling catch management systems! :mad:

Something to remember next year. (after we have all been indoctrinated for 6 months with beautiful EU spin so as to make us feel unpatriotic if we oppose their intentionally unreadable Lisbon Treaty.)

Remember. Then go out and vote. Let them know No means No and we won't be bullied.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What worries me most about this is that if the EU introduces it, each country will be compelled to enforce it. Unless the EU provides a juicy grant to pay for bailiffs (which in fairness it might), it would mean taking them from our freshwater leaving it even more exposed.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Lolz. You do know that farmed fish have to eat protein to grow to market size right? And where do you think that protein comes from, thin air?

It takes about 3-5 tonnes of fishmeal to raise 1 tonne of salmon/cod etc - you can't farm fish without catching wild fish to feed them...
    Not only that, they have to add chemicals and dyes to make the salmon pink (farmed salmon is naturally white). Fish farms also promote the growth of disease and parasites which infect and kill off wild fish, and to top it off farmed fish doesn't have the same health benefits that wild fish does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

Dont worry, they nearly have it cracked, the protien could come from other sources soon enough. The dye added is just astaxanthin which is the exact same as what occors naturally in salmons diet except it is made in a lab. But chemically the exact same.
    As for spreading parasites I would be lying If I told you it wasnt true, you can treat the salmon but evidence is suggesting it still spreads.
    So there.....:pac:

Dont worry, they nearly have it cracked, the protien could come from other sources soon enough. The dye added is just astaxanthin which is the exact same as what occors naturally in salmons diet except it is made in a lab. But chemically the exact same.
    As for spreading parasites I would be lying If I told you it wasnt true, you can treat the salmon but evidence is suggesting it still spreads.
    So there.....:pac:

What other sources? Got a link? They also add antiobiotics to feed. They treat fish with antifungal and antibacterial chemicals. The fish swim a fraction of the distance wild fish do, at a fraction of the speed, so their flesh is soft and has a much higher fat content. Taste like **** compared to wild fish.

Salmon farms are singlehandedly responsible for wiping out sea trout fisheries in the west of Ireland and Scotland. It doesn't matter how much you treat fish, these farms are reservoirs for sea lice larvae that decimate wild sea trout stocks. These sea trout fisheries used to employ hundreds of people. The salmon farms are mainly automated and only employ casual part-time labour at harvesting time. Without EU subsidies they could not compete with Norwegian and Chilean farmed salmon.

Still think they're a good idea?

What other sources? Got a link? They also add antiobiotics to feed. They treat fish with antifungal and antibacterial chemicals. The fish swim a fraction of the distance wild fish do, at a fraction of the speed, so their flesh is soft and has a much higher fat content. Taste like **** compared to wild fish.

Salmon farms are singlehandedly responsible for wiping out sea trout fisheries in the west of Ireland and Scotland. It doesn't matter how much you treat fish, these farms are reservoirs for sea lice larvae that decimate wild sea trout stocks. These sea trout fisheries used to employ hundreds of people. The salmon farms are mainly automated and only employ casual part-time labour at harvesting time. Without EU subsidies they could not compete with Norwegian and Chilean farmed salmon.

Still think they're a good idea?

Source? Have worked on salmon farms. I agree they have problems but they will be sorted eventually.
    Norway and chile is focused on quantity all Irish aquaculture is focused on quality.
    Like I said they have problems and I know even a big farm wont employ many people and research is backing up claims that the sea lice spread.
    TBH I would much prefer it if captive fisheries werent being decimated
    The assumption that the fish are not getting as much exercise is a bit off, if you were to start a salmon farm in the morning you would choose a site with a fairly strong current so the fish have something to swim against.
    Anyway really Im not trying to start an argument Im just trying to clear up misinformation. There not perfect but they might get pretty close if enough reasearch is put in to stop the spread of lice, there is a world protien shortage and wild fish stocks wont be able to meet these demands. Thats how I see it anways.
    Its about making money not saving the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathaloc

The assumption that the fish are not getting as much exercise is a bit off, if you were to start a salmon farm in the morning you would choose a site with a fairly strong current so the fish have something to swim against.

I had to register just to reply to this little nugget! Of course a farmed Salmon will not get as much excercise as a wild one. Salmon are a pelagic species - they are ALWAYS moving. Whether it be hunting, migrating or just fighting the current while they rest.

A farmed salmon does not have sufficient room to do any of these things, except for fighting the current which is what wild salmon do when they are taking it easy! Because of this, farmed salmon (and farmed fish in general) are not as healthy for you to eat. They contain only a fraction of the Omega 3 that a wild salmon does. That is not my opinion, or something that was said down the pub - its a fact!

I dont know if you have ever used salmon for bait but if you have, you will know that farmed salmon is next to useless. It doesnt contain nearly as much oils and so does not create the same scent trail as a wild one would.

The whole lice issue is another thing as well as interbreeding with wild salmon and the huge amounts of ...**** that they produce. As you might have guessed - I have a bit of a thing about farmed fish! You will be much better off eating a wild mackeral than a farmed fish - especially if you can catch the mack yourself!

Tight lines!

cathaloc wrote: »
    I had to register just to reply to this little nugget!
    Gold Nugget!:P

Like I said Im not trying to start an argument and I have already agreed that salmon farms have problems the sea lice is a big deal a HUGE deal in fact. But you have to at least give the industry a chance to find its feet.
    They are currently working on using chicken feathers as protien source and seaweed as a source of astaxanthin(I cant spell that for the life of me)

If they werent a danger to wild stocks then there would be no harm.
    The **** they produce is dispersed eventually after about 3 months, the farms will normally be fallow for this amount of time anyway while they wait for smolt and repair any machinery.

And you know what, if the government continues the hammer our fishermen into nothingness then this is all that will be left for coastal communities.
    I would rather all the fish in the country was caught fresh by Irish boats registered in Ireland and not farmed in Irish waters by a great big Norwegian company.

So you see I actually agree with you:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cathaloc

I think we are making slightly different points here though. In essence, I agree with the majority of both of your posts. The only part that I take umberage with is the assertion that farmed fish are getting as much exercise as wild, which is patently incorrect.

The points you made about the effluent diluting is correct to a point - as long as the farmer is sympathetic towards the environment. Many are not though as we both know wherein lies the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's not only sea lice, or even Furunculosis that high stock density in fish farms can give favourable conditions to multiply and spread into the wild.

There is an extremely nasty disease called Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) which originated in Norway, and has wreaked havok in Norwegian, Chilean and Canadian fish farms.
    Thousands of fish farm workers have been laid off, huge quantities of infected salmon have been destroyed.

ISA is now making it's way into the wild salmon populations around the world. Especially those places with a salmon farming industry.

Ireland is still supposed to be free of ISA, but for how long?

coolwings wrote: »
    It's not only sea lice, or even Furunculosis that high stock density in fish farms can give favourable conditions to multiply and spread into the wild.

There is an extremely nasty disease called Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA) which originated in Norway, and has wreaked havok in Norwegian, Chilean and Canadian fish farms.
    Thousands of fish farm workers have been laid off, huge quantities of infected salmon have been destroyed.

ISA is now making it's way into the wild salmon populations around the world. Especially those places with a salmon farming industry.

Ireland is still supposed to be free of ISA, but for how long?

Well as as far as I know we will be Ok(im open to correction) Irish salmon farms use Irish hatcheries which vaccinate their smolt before bringing them to sea, and everything on the farms is kept as sterile as possible.
    there may have been an outbreak on a farm somewhere in this country but I could be thinking of something else completely.

Well as as far as I know we will be Ok(im open to correction) Irish salmon farms use Irish hatcheries which vaccinate their smolt before bringing them to sea, and everything on the farms is kept as sterile as possible.
    there may have been an outbreak on a farm somewhere in this country but I could be thinking of something else completely.

IIRC there is no commercial vaccine for ISA, and experience with other species, as well as the industry's track record, suggests that infection from another route would be no big surprise. For example, the introduction of the swim bladder parasite Anguillicola crassus in eels in Ireland - no eels are imported into Ireland yet the parasite got here, possibly in water transported in trucks from the continent that were picking up eels from Irish fisheries. I have been in several hatcheries and fish farms and very rarely been asked to disinfect my footwear as should be standard biosecurity protocol.
    The fact is that without EU import tariffs on Norwegian salmon and subsidies to our producers the industry would not survive here. We (the taxpayer) are subsidising an industry that is uncompetitive and damages our environment, and has been responsible for the collapse of a species in some parts of the country. That is indefensible.

Advertisement