Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro/Aus exchange rate

Options
  • 16-12-2008 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Yes folks the euro is now worth 2.05 to the euro and climbing, when you take into account that the euro will soon be at parity with sterling, i believe the aussie dollar will reach a high of 2.30 to the euro by the end of january. For example 1 pound sterling was worth 2.70 dollars last month but is now only worth 2.30, so if the euro reaches paity with sterling we can expect to see the euro worth around 2.30 to 2.50 dollars next year, happy days if your going to aus in the new year:D, not so good news if ure coming back from aus to ireland:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Yes folks the euro is now worth 2.05 to the euro and climbing, when you take into account that the euro will soon be at parity with sterling, i believe the aussie dollar will reach a high of 2.30 to the euro by the end of january. For example 1 pound sterling was worth 2.70 dollars last month but is now only worth 2.30, so if the euro reaches paity with sterling we can expect to see the euro worth around 2.30 to 2.50 dollars next year, happy days if your going to aus in the new year:D, not so good news if ure coming back from aus to ireland:(

im heading over the 7th jan, might wait till the new yr so to order some $$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Yeah dave make sure you do because its only going to go up more, sterling is now 92p to the euro, sterling to the aus dollar is 2.25, so if euro reaches parity by end of january with sterling we can expect the aus dollar to be worth around 2.20-2.30 to the euro, also austrlia will cut there interest rates further in the new year which will also help, its a great time to be going to aus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

bugger! have loans to pay back! the gf sent back 15oo dollars there the other day. got 710euro! looks like me wages are worth less and less by the week!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I sent some € savings back recently & they bought a load of Pacific Peso's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its really hurting me too.
    I've an Irish credit card to pay off. The exchange rate is crippling me. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Hey Rabies how are you sending your money back home? I have loans etc.. I will need to send money back on a regular basis. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

u can send it back thru ur bank directly, but you'll need ur international account number. cant remember what its called. IBIS number or something.

i know visa first transfer money apparently for cheap from ireland to oz. dunno bout the other way around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

sham08 wrote: »
    Hey Rabies how are you sending your money back home? I have loans etc.. I will need to send money back on a regular basis. Thanks

Haven't sent money back in about a month. Last time $300 got me about E97 or so. But that included bank fees as well.

By the may next year the euro will be worth 2.60 -3.00 aus , well thats what there saying as Aus will reduce interest rates and will go into recession next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The_B_Man wrote: »
    u can send it back thru ur bank directly, but you'll need ur international account number. cant remember what its called. IBIS number or something.

i know visa first transfer money apparently for cheap from ireland to oz. dunno bout the other way around though.

you need the IBAN (international bank account number). Most banks now offer international transfer through their online services which is very handy.

I was planning on transferring my money from irish account into an Oz account soon as only just got here but might wait a bit longer and see whats happening with exchange rate. Will just take money from the card as getting good rate anyway and the money I may gain by waiting and hoping for a better exchange rate would probably be greater than the cost of taking money from my cirrus card as its good bit of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭stressed out

Hi, I have been keeping an eye on the exchange rate and the dollar seems to have gone down in the last few weeks. As we speak and quoting xe.com it is 1.91 - when I checked a few weeks ago it was approx 2.05.
    Also the euro isnt as strong against sterling - 0.94p
    Is this just a blip, or should I be buying my dollars now (going to Oz in March and am totally cash strapped so the more I get the better!)

Stressedout whatever you do dont change now, this exchange rate is only a blip due to low volumes trading over the holidays and a rally on comodity prices which helps the aussie dollar, this wont last long , also aus are going to cut rates in the next few months which will help, i expect 1 euro to be worth 2.30 or more by end of feburary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

heres the latest from xe.com

Live rates at 2009.01.05 21:31:35 UTC
    1.00 EUR

=

1.89505 AUD
    Euro Australia Dollars
    1 EUR = 1.89505 AUD 1 AUD = 0.527689 EUR
    Trade Currencies. Click here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Found this thread, now the AUD = .80Euro

Mid-market rates: 2012-01-04 23:02 UTC

1.00 AUD = 0.800402 EUR
    Australian Dollar Euro
    1 AUD = 0.800402 EUR 1 EUR = 1.24937 AUD

187202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Just dont tell trailerparkboy, i hope this is not his full time job:D

Im heading back to Brisbane for a few weeks next week, less Beer Tokens for me i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Ok does anyone know anything about currencies or trends or whatever, i have a few quid im waiting to transfer over and the Euro is just getting weaker.
    I transfered a grand in Nov and got 1360 now id get 1240!!!

From Hussey's graph i can obviously see the Dollar getting stronger but the last month it has seriously spiked, any ideas on it going back down or why this is happening, i have no clue about currencies.

Some intelligent input would be great :D

Karl if we knew that we'd be rich.
    When Europe and USA went into recession The Aussie Dollar dropped to record low, even though Australia wasn't

Prob best to ask in economics forum, as people bets guessing can lead to trouble (e.g. 'sure you'd be a fool not to buy a house, rent - sure you're paying someone else's mortgage')

understandable about getting rich, but i have an interest in learning more about how it works as i will probably be transferring money a bit more in the future.
    Ur probably right about asking in the economics forum

I was hoping for someone to say its low because of X but in the next few months it should improve again because of Y

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Yes folks the euro is now worth 2.05 to the euro and climbing, ....

Some change in the rates since trailerparkboy submitted this post.
    It is now at 1.2566 according to www.oanda.com.

The banks rip you off when transferring money - check <snip> or some other financially regulated comanies to get quotes before you hand over your hard earned cash.

Compare the rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

1.00 AUD = 0.801980 EUR Australian Dollar Euro 1 AUD = 0.801980 EUR 1 EUR = 1.24691 AUD

there goes a few hundred Euro down the drain before i even get a chance to pass it through my Liver, oh XXXX the drink that is...

I hope that is a mistake there somewhere.

If transferring i would definately go with currencyfair.com

By far the best i used and a 3 euro charge with good exchange rates
    Avoid USIT and there transfer companies

If transferring i would definately go with currencyfair.com

By far the best i used and a 3 euro charge with good exchange rates
    Avoid USIT and there transfer companies

+1 for CF

Just heard on ABC radio from a currency expert - he predicted the AUD $ to head down to .90 US $ and then level out just about par

he didn't make a EUR Vs AUD prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

That's just mental - good for the Aussies but rubbish for anyonelooking to move there and bring their life savings.

Advertisement