Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cyclists pay Road Tax & Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

CDfm wrote: »
    so in my view cyclists are really dangerous
    More dangerous than motorists?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I don't think it's fair to make a sweeping statement that cyclists are really dangerous.

Some cyclists are, in the same way that some motorists are. For instance, how many times do you see motorists on their phones or with faulty lighting ?

Don't say cyclists are dangerous as most responsible cyclists are very safety concious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

More dangerous than motorists?
    its relative -motorists dont drive on footpaths -so0 on footpaths cyclists are mre dangerous than motorists.

They are also not insured if they injure someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

its relative -motorists dont drive on footpaths -so0 on footpaths cyclists are mre dangerous than motorists.
    Motorists don't drive on footpaths? How do they manage to park on them, levitation?

Let's cut to the chase: how many people are killed and injured by motorists and how many by cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Just because your insured doesn't make you less dangerous, it just means you can pay the compensation when you kill or maim somebody because you were texting your girlfriend whilst driving down the road.

Let's face it, there's members of both groups who could improve. I get pi$$ed of each morning when I drive through Clondalkin in the dark and see the same unlit cyclist dressed in all black team gear and on a black bike, I mean jeez, is he looking to get ran over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd agree wholeheartedly with you that cyclists should not cycle on the footpath. This would IMHO include footpaths with magic painted lines on them, doesn't make it any safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When should they start? 3 years old on stabilisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's not relative at all. Cars present a greater danger to other road users, whether on the road or careering wildly onto the footpath.

http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/news/five-rushed-to-hospital-as-car--veers-out-of-control-on-to-path-602267.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/car-driver-mowed-down-two-men-on-footpath-after-row-63207.html
    http://www.argus.ie/news/ldquoonly-grace-of-god-that-nobody-was-killedrdquo-593198.html
    http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/skerries-pensioner-82-stable-after-he-was-knocked-down-on-local-footpath-666507.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/girl-held-for-suspected-drink-driving-as-car-hits-gokarter-1068724.html
    etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, people should really be watching out for those dangerous cyclists.

Morgan wrote: »
    It's not relative at all. Cars present a greater danger to other road users, whether on the road or careering wildly onto the footpath.
    Yeah, people should really be watching out for those dangerous cyclists.

I think you are missing the point.

Reading the thread -what I see is excuses. I dont know if its an Irish thing to disrespect the law.

But wouldnt it be a good thing for all road users to obey it.

When I moved back to Ireland I was shocked at the way all road users act -and that includes pedestrians and cyclists -its not a numbers game on who is the worst.

I think you are missing the point.

I thought "so in my view cyclists are really dangerous" was your point? Am I misinterpreting?
    Reading the thread -what I see is excuses. I dont know if its an Irish thing to disrespect the law.

Reading back through it* I see people disagreeing on tax and insurance for cyclists and overwhelmingly agreeing that road users should follow the rules and be courteous. Not sure what "excuses" you're seeing.

In general, however, it is an Irish thing to disrespect the law (if you can get away with it).

* didn't actually read back through it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I know how to solve this endless debate.
    Yes cyclists should pay road tax (sic) and insurance.
    Now are all you motorists happy that you have heard what you want to hear??

Not that I actually believe the above to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I am quite impressed that a thread started by a suspected 'troll' has received 252 replies! WOW! :D

I am quite impressed that a thread started by a suspected 'troll' has received 252 replies! WOW! :D
    Clearly you are a troll. I refer you to this yet here you are again, greedily viewing the bounty of your ill-sown seeds of pestilence

Tis great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Tis great fun!

Have we convinced ya to get out on your bike yet?! ;)

Not a chance! Motorists rule! ;)

Tis true. Kings of congestion :D

Ah you will. You get to wear skin tight clothes and shave your legs and still not be accused of the ghey. What can be better than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

so if thats the case, when can a car stop in a yellow junction box???(which should be at every junction)

Morgan wrote: »

In general, however, it is an Irish thing to disrespect the law (if you can get away with it).

The general view expressed by El Tonto and you is get away with it if you can and its up to the Guards to enforce the law.

The impression I get is - we wish people obeyed the rules but sod it as we wont get prosecuted.

If its taken a troll to get people posting and showing whats what- we boohoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Karma wrote: »
    so if thats the case, when can a car stop in a yellow junction box???(which should be at every junction)

When turning right, so long as their doing so does not obstruct traffic otherwise entitled to proceed.

The general view expressed by El Tonto and you is get away with it if you can...

I didn't see him express that opinion anywhere. He has said things like:
    el tonto wrote: »
    Pretty much every cyclist on here objects to people ignoring the rules of the road. You're preachig to the choir.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The general view expressed by El Tonto and you is get away with it if you can and its up to the Guards to enforce the law.

The impression I get is - we wish people obeyed the rules but sod it as we wont get prosecuted.

You're putting words in my mouth now, which is a bit trollish to say the least.

All I said was that cyclists can be prosecuted for breaking road traffic law and it was up to the police to prosecute them. I never once condoned breaking the law and I don't do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Your impression doesn't accord with my reading of what they've actually said.

el tonto wrote: »
    All I said was that cyclists can be prosecuted for breaking road traffic law and it was up to the police to prosecute them. I never once condoned breaking the law and I don't do it myself.
    I am pretty sure I have seen you cycling on the road, not using the "perfectly good"* cycle track provided :D

*may not actually be "perfectly good" but you are still obliged by law to cycle on it

stir3.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My pet hates when it comes to cyclists are:

Insufficient lighting on a bike, especially in the winter months. As a motorist you are obliged to have all lights working, if you are a cyclist you can cycle with none

All cars should have parking lights on at all times when moving so that they are seen by everyone
    Lack of reflective clothing – if a motorist hits a cyclist it is their fault, even if the motorist cannot see them

Big metal box v a human being....who needs to be more careful :)
    Lack of signalling when turning – cars indicate so why can’t cyclists.

Do they?
    You could fool me I don't see many indicate when I drive to work each morning :)
    Cyclists coming up on the inside of a car which is indicating to turn left.

I've seen cars try to do this, perhaps the cyclist didn't know the car was turning left because the car didn't indicate in time and with due care? :)
    Cyclists breaking red lights

cars
    Cyclists cycling too far out from the footpath & impeding traffic flow

cyclist actually generally cycle much closer to the foothpath then they legally have to, the problem is cars pass far too closely to cyclist when passing
    Cyclists refusing to slow down when the cycle lane runs through a bus stop

cars to
    Cyclists wearing headphones

Motorists on mobile phones, motorists watching DVD's and listening to radios, all speakers, radios and monitors should be removed from all cars for same reason as headphones :)
    Cyclists generally paying no heed to what is around them

*cough* motorists

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Cyclists breaking red lights

Cycled into town yesterday evening. Stopped attentively at an amber light at the junction of Constitution Hill and Western Way as I didn't have a death wish. 3 cars approaching from behind me sailed happily through forcing the traffic coming from Western Way to stop suddenly in order to avoid a collision. Breaking red lights is certainly not a "cyclist only" phenonomen.

http://www.velonews.com/article/86111
    In the past few weeks, the subject of taxes — specifically, taxes on bicycles — has come up once again. On November 12, Bikeportland reported that the Bicycle Transportation Alliance (a bicycle advocacy organization based in Portland, Oregon) and Metro (the regional government for the Portland metropolitan area) both support a recommendation by Oregon Governor Ted Kulongoski’s Transportation Vision Committee to create a “point-of-sale excise tax on the purchase of adult bicycles.” The proposed excise tax — a fee in the range of $5-$20 per bike — “should be used to enhance bicycle transportation, including Safe Routes to Schools.”

Stark wrote: »
    Cycled into town yesterday evening. Stopped attentively at an amber light at the junction of Constitution Hill and Western Way as I didn't have a death wish. 3 cars approaching from behind me sailed happily through forcing the traffic coming from Western Way to stop suddenly in order to avoid a collision. Breaking red lights is certainly not a "cyclist only" phenonomen.
    Indeed, I almost had a car rear-end me once because I stopped on a RED that he was planning on breaking. He then proceeds to lean on the horn. WTF?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement