Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus NTL Telephone Service

Options
  • 16-12-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

This company is advertising a phone service available in every postal district in Dublin. Yet, when I went to apply for this service in the Dublin 14 / 16 area I had to ring 3 times. Each time receiving a different answer. Today I was told

"....CS "Service is not available in this area according to our system"
    "Then why is it advertised on your web site if this is the case" I asked.
    CS "It only affects small pockets" is the reply.
    "Then why not list this on your site" I asked.
    CS "This will have to go to our small worlds department for an answer"
    "How long will that take" I asked
    CS "Probably a week, they have a back log of queries"
    "We were hoping to have a landline in by Christmas and last week we were told someone would be in touch within 24 hours"
    "If this is the case we should have been informed and we would have contacted Eircom."
    CS "Service is not available in your area according to our sales system, you may want to contact Eircom"......."

Has anyone heard anything about the phone service from Chorus NTL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Do you know if you are able to get broadband from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC (NTL/Chorus) phone service is operated over their own cable network, it has nothing to do with eircom in anyway.

The only time they would need eircom to do anything is if you wanted to keep your old phone number, they can request that eircom ports it over. However, your eircom line is completely ceased and terminated. The phone service is provided through the cable connection that carries your TV service.

Cable Phone and broadband's available in most of Dublin, Cork etc but, you can have certain areas which haven't been fully upgraded. It depends on the local wiring and it can literaly be unavaialble in a single apartment building or a street because of some cabling issue that hasn't been resolved yet.

Broadband/phone needs connection to a higher quality 2-way cable network. Sometimes, you can successfully receive digital television, but be unable to use 2-way communications due to bandwidth problems, or because the system in your area can only carry information in one direction as it was designed to distribute TV.

That being said, UPC's database is terrible so make sure they do investigate if it's really available in your home. They often have errors in the data which show service as unavailable when it really is. I've experienced this in both Cork and Dublin.

Keep pressing it with them, it's worth checking with neighbours too as if it's available in their houses/apartments its likely to be available to you too.

Advertisement