Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort Brazilians feature on BBC News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 aifricfan16

hey this is good. i think you get the impression that they liked living in ireland, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

hey this is good. i think you get the impression that they liked living in ireland, don't you?

Yes, I think for most of them it's been a good experience.
    In general, they have been well accepted too, although I did find one local messageboard that was full of inbred racist drivel. My hope is that such crap did not reach the ears of the Brazilians.

I think my biggest disappointment is that the influx didn't bring the local soccer team more success!

These people travelled a long way to try to provide a better life for their families, good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

The word "Brazil" is actually an Irish word.
    It comes from the mythical island of "Hy-Brazil "which was supposed to exist beyond the western horizon.

http://www.answers.com/topic/hy-brasil

Quote:
    "According to the Irish legend, Brazil was a mystical island with fabulous cities covered in gold. A real paradise. The trouble was that it was either always covered in mist or it would only appear above the waters every seven years."

St. Brendan went looking for it:
    http://celticmythpodshow.com/blog/2008/04/03/the-mythical-island-of-hy-brasil/

Quote:
    "The names Brazil and Hy-Brazil are thought to come from the Irish Uí Breasail (meaning “descendants (i.e., clan) of Breasal”), one of the ancient clans of North-Eastern Ireland."

After Columbus discovered America it was only a matter of time before the Irish name would be adopted somewhere in the New World.

So........The Brazilians in Tuam are Irish !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Svenolsen wrote: »
    The word "Brazil" is actually an Irish word.
    It comes from the mythical island of "Hy-Brazil "which was supposed to exist beyond the western horizon.

http://www.answers.com/topic/hy-brasil

Quote:
    "According to the Irish legend, Brazil was a mystical island with fabulous cities covered in gold. A real paradise. The trouble was that it was either always covered in mist or it would only appear above the waters every seven years."

St. Brendan went looking for it:
    http://celticmythpodshow.com/blog/2008/04/03/the-mythical-island-of-hy-brasil/

Quote:
    "The names Brazil and Hy-Brazil are thought to come from the Irish Uí Breasail (meaning “descendants (i.e., clan) of Breasal”), one of the ancient clans of North-Eastern Ireland."

After Columbus discovered America it was only a matter of time before the Irish name would be adopted somewhere in the New World.

So........The Brazilians in Tuam are Irish !

Ah, Sven

If only you'd noticed we were talking about Gort, not Tuam. You'd have looked quite well-informed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Svenolsen

big b wrote: »
    Ah, Sven

If only you'd noticed we were talking about Gort, not Tuam. You'd have looked quite well-informed then.

Maybe a few moved over to Tuam!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Know some of them well. One of them said that around 200 of them left last monday because they can't find any work. The meat factory closed some time ago, where alot of them worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Know some of them well. One of them said that around 200 of them left last monday because they can't find any work. The meat factory closed some time ago, where alot of them worked.

thats so sad, then they have come so far for a better life,
    i pray things work out for them, i know what its like being in another country.

Advertisement