Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for wife - Want all my documents

Options
  • 16-12-2008 2:50pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    Is it normal that the insurance company who are after quoting for my wife that now want all my documents, licence, insurance cert and proof of address.

I am driving 11 years and have her on the insurance for 8 and bar a copy of the licence they never wanted anything else.

They are now refusing to send out her documents until she submits all my details and the fact my address is different to hers they reckon they want utilty bills!!!
    Seems a bit OTT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Said insurer may just be tightening up its anti-fraud or similar procedures and realised they never had those docs... its irritating but I wouldn't see it as that unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Naaaaaaaaa, it has nothing to do with Fraud or the like and This request from them is not unusual - reason being is that if your wifes car insurance has a claim you may be involved in if you were driving it for instance or if you were a passenger and got injured and claimed, the insurance company can and will claim off your insurance!

Its a FACT!

and blokes go, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,my wifes car insurance is cheaper when I'm a named driver on her policy" - There's no such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

yop wrote: »
    Guys,
    Is it normal that the insurance company who are after quoting for my wife that now want all my documents, licence, insurance cert and proof of address.

I am driving 11 years and have her on the insurance for 8 and bar a copy of the licence they never wanted anything else.

They are now refusing to send out her documents until she submits all my details and the fact my address is different to hers they reckon they want utilty bills!!!
    Seems a bit OTT

is it in regards to a claim or just renewal? they have probably just noticed that you and your wife are not living together which will have given them a few suspicions. if you are still married you should not have anything to worry about. if you are not(or possibly even if your seperated and still married but i doubt it) and she is the policyholder then there will be problems.

you might as well just give them what they ask for they just want to verify that they are not getting done

edit; as nice irish fella says liability follows the driver so if you have insurance that covers you for driving other cars and are driving a car were you happened to be a named driver the claim goes on your policy not the policy your a named driver on. however they havnt asked for details of you or your wifes other policies so i doubt that is why they are asking and also this is usually sorted out when a claim is made not on taking out a policy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Naaaaaaaaa, it has nothing to do with Fraud or the like and This request from them is not unusual - reason being is that if your wifes car insurance has a claim you may be involved in if you were driving it for instance or if you were a passenger and got injured and claimed, the insurance company can and will claim off your insurance!

Its a FACT!

and blokes go, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,my wifes car insurance is cheaper when I'm an names driver on it" - There's no such thing as a free lunch.

What? I have my own car and own insurance. She is a named driver.

She has her own car and wants me to be named. Why the hell would, if she had a claim on HER insurance that they would go near mine?? Sure thats pure bolloxs in fairness

What? I have my own car and own insurance. She is a named driver.

She has her own car and wants me to be named. Why the hell would, if she had a claim on HER insurance that they would go near mine?? Sure thats pure bolloxs in fairness

They can, and will Yop.
    By having spouses with their own policies as named drivers, the liability (amongst themselves, the insurance co's) can be spread in the event of a payout in a claim.
    Its common knowledge/practise in the insurance industry - and not really known outside by the general public.
    Also, be warned - you have no controll over this in the event of a claim, they can go after your policy and you cant stop them, and your co claims bonus can be affected.

Hence, why they discount policies with names drivers personanly insuranced on other vehicles.
    That why they want ALL your docs, to have on file in case of a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They can, and will Yop.
    By having spouses with their own policies as named drivers, the liability (amongst themselves, the insurance co's) can be spread in the event of a payout in a claim.
    Its common knowledge/practise in the insurance industry - and not really known outside by the general public.
    Also, be warned - you have no controll over this in the event of a claim, they can go after your policy and you cant stop them, and your co claims bonus can be affected.

Hence, why they discount policies with names drivers personanly insuranced on other vehicles.
    That why they want ALL your docs, to have on file in case of a claim.

WOW, I am gob smacked 100%!!!!

I wonder now if she actually went online and did a quote without me would it actually be any cheaper??? ;)

Thanks for that. U live and learn!!!

WOW, I am gob smacked 100%!!!!

I wonder now if she actually went online and did a quote without me would it actually be any cheaper??? ;)

Thanks for that. U live and learn!!!

No worries. If she goes online, i doubt she'll get it cheaper without you cos then the liability cannot be spead by the insurer to other insurers.
    Why not ring a good local broker and give them the details and let them do all the donkey work for you with the co's. Tell them to price your wife up with you as a named driver and you not named, just to see.

re; the insurance co wanting your docs, my wifes insurer harrassed her for months looking for my insurance details!

ohhh, and re you earlier comment - "Sure thats pure bolloxs in fairness" - Agreed..........just like VRT, Excessive road tax and the state of the roads, the price of a pint, cup of coffee, on and on and on and on...........:rolleyes:

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

op just to clarify what irish fella says is true BUT it still might be worth your while being a named driver the reason for this is as follows

your comprehensive policy must have 'driving of other cars' or 'doc' on it so check that first. most policies have it but if your dosnt it will cost you extra(probably less than being a named driver on your wifes policy)

however doc only covers you for third party when you are driving the other car(comp doc is very rare and expensive and i dont know if anyone does it anymore)

so say you are driving under doc and have an accident thats your fault the other persons damage gets covered under your personal policy. now this is the part you have to check out as i cant remember. will your wifes insurance cover the damage to your car if your driving it? i am pretty sure it will and if it does then dont bother being put on her policy if it dosnt then its worth your while being a named driver so you have comp cover on her car.

did i make that clear?

as i said though these things are usually sorted out at the time of the claim and they havnt asked for other policy details so i doubt thats the reason. they are more likely looking for verification that you are in fact still married because if you are not and you own the car but she is the main driver then the policy is void

Advertisement