Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any excuse not to give out a mortgage??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Sorry, but plead???? You must be joking. They are in the wrong on this and by god they should be saying sorry that they have caused these people so much grief. I'm still gobsmacked that the lending bank A; didn't give the loan when an explanation was given, and B; that the lending bank didn't advise her that she could do this.
    All these letters they sent, you mean not 1 person noticed that the card was actually inactive?
    I am the first to say sorry in my job if I'm wrong, but something like this just gets me going. At this point I would have already spoken to the manager of the branch and gone higher up the bloody gravy train ladder if ness. Someone gets refused a mortgage for this, but yet we have bank directors RESIGNING with huge comp packages, and not one of these people has had more than a slap on the wrist for the schemes they've been in. I'm not 1 of them, but some people lost entire life savings.
    I am assuming of course that there isn't more to the story regarding the refusal.
    Ok, done ranting now, but I feel sorry for that couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I have to disagree. While I've got a huge amount of sympathy for the OP regarding the situation, credit cards remain active until they are cancelled. If I left my credit card active and ended up with an unpaid debt because of it it would be my fault and no one else's. My current card expires in 2011 so I think it would be very negligent on my behalf to just pay this months bill and just forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

Well now leeroybrown

I must say that I will admit when something is pointed out to me. I don't recall reading that ladys post if there was any mention of actually cancelling(which would be odd to me) the card. That would certainly make a difference, and she may indeed have to plead some. Well spotted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

You'd want to be careful with cards. I had a credit card and cancelled it. I thought no more of it til a month or two later (details a bit hazy now) when I was billed for the €40 levy. I queried it with the bank and was told that even though I had cancelled the card, I was still liable for the levy. Seems because I'd still had the card for a short while when the card's new fiscal year (for want of a better phrase) had started, I had to pay the full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

if halifax has admitted that it was their mistake the OP should be asking for them to amend the ICB and then they will be able to get loan approval -

a few of my clients had this exact situation and they followed the above and got mortgage approval. ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Hi,

I had a similar problem with a bad ICB report which was not my fault but was a mistake on the banks part.
    I insisted that they (the bank) contact the ICB and clarify. I also got a copy of the letter in which they admitted it was their fault not mine (just incase!!)
    I have since re-checked with ICB and Im all clear

Best of luck to the OP, hope every thing works out.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

dcom wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a similar problem with a bad ICB report which was not my fault but was a mistake on the banks part.
    I insisted that they (the bank) contact the ICB and clarify. I also got a copy of the letter in which they admitted it was their fault not mine (just incase!!)
    I have since re-checked with ICB and Im all clear

Best of luck to the OP, hope every thing works out.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

D

Same happened to me.. I got a recent ICB report only to find out that a bank had me down as not repaying a loan and they wrote it off... Which is a no no, no bank would ever go near me if that was the case. Got onto them and had it sorted, its now ammended. Ur just a number to a bank, they don't seem to give a rats arse... Its the 3rd time I've had to have an ICB report fixed...

Advertisement