Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access

Options
  • 16-12-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi there.

To start I am not great at Access but know the basics to creating simple databases.

I have an access database that I am using to record purchase orders.

In a form I have the following fields

Part no - Description - Cost Code - Unit Price - Qty - Total Price

I am using a combo box for the description field which is linked to a query so that from the drop down list I can choose what part is being ordered,

The other fields are pulling their corresponding data based on the combo box choice.

EG. Unit Price Control Source is =combodescription1.column(3)

The qty is manually entered and the total price is a calculation

My problem is that the actual raw data is not complete. i.e not every part has all fields filled. Sometimes cost codes / prices etc are missing. These are being updated but it may be a few weeks before it is complete.

In the meantime I would like to be able to click into the blank field and enter a value however i get the error message "Control cannot be edited;it's bound to the expression 'combodescription1.column(1)'"

Is there a workaround for this?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

You could remove the control source property and use the afterUpdate event on the combodescription1 control.

In the event, you would write code to set each of the other controls to the appropriate values.

e.g.
    UnitPrice =combodescription1.column(3)

This would then allow you to edit the control or add data if none was populated to the control.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

thanks for that, I'll give that a go.

This is working for me. Thank you. Once issue I am having is that the after update is effecting the same fields in every record and not just the field in this particular record. Any suggestions on how to over come this?

Also, when i quit out of the database and re-enter, the afterupdated fields are blank and are not saved.

sparkite wrote: »
    This is working for me. Thank you. Once issue I am having is that the after update is effecting the same fields in every record and not just the field in this particular record. Any suggestions on how to over come this?

Also, when i quit out of the database and re-enter, the afterupdated fields are blank and are not saved.

Sounds like the control source isn't set for the field you have a problem with.

koth wrote: »
    Sounds like the control source isn't set for the field you have a problem with.

Bang on. I had removed the =combodescription1.column(3) from the source and left it blank. School boy mistake! Cheers again. Appreciated.

• Advertisement

sparkite wrote: »
    Bang on. I had removed the =combodescription1.column(3) from the source and left it blank. School boy mistake! Cheers again. Appreciated.
    No problem, the reason I thought of that is because I used to make that mistake a lot;):D

Advertisement