Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould On Attic Side of Plasterboard

Options
  • 16-12-2008 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Our main bedroom in the house has mould running along parallel with the inner wall along the ceiling by the window in the bedroom, now I got some replies which I am very greatful for on this as there was also wet patches on the ceiling so when I got upstairs to check it out it was the case that the insulation wasnt pulled over correctly and that moisture was getting trapped in the vapour barrier and because there was no insulation over it the warm air from the bedroom was just hitting the ceiling and an uninsulated vapour barrier and this is why the ceiling was being water stained. But what I am really worried about is that in these areas of the attic where it the insulation wasnt put down properly mould is growing on the attic side of the plasterboard, is this the reason mould is continuing to come thorugh the plasterboard because of its presence in the attic? and i cant get at it to clean it because I dont want to damage the vapour barrier, is there anything i can do about this? I am worried that the mould on the plasterboard in the attic will spread across the ceiling and maybe go into the wood as we have a timber frame house, I keep cleaning off the mould on the ceiling in our bedroom but the mould i cant get at is worrying me, any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    But what I am really worried about is that in these areas of the attic where it the insulation wasnt put down properly mould is growing on the attic side of the plasterboard, is this the reason mould is continuing to come thorugh the plasterboard because of its presence in the attic? and i cant get at it to clean it because I dont want to damage the vapour barrier, is there anything i can do about this?

Give it time, if the condensation problem has been repaired then it should dry out, preventing mould growth.
    SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    I am worried that the mould on the plasterboard in the attic will spread across the ceiling and maybe go into the wood as we have a timber frame house, I keep cleaning off the mould on the ceiling in our bedroom but the mould i cant get at is worrying me, any advice or help on this is greatly appreciated.

If there is no condensation then it shouldn't get worse. You could buy / hire a dehumidifier to help speed up the drying out process. Continue to remove mould were possible.

You could cut a slit in the vapour barrier - remove mould, dry out slab and tape slit in vapour barrier.( Special tape) But I'd wait till spring to do this as its a bad time now, being cold dark and damp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Thanks for the reply RKO, your spot on its probably not the best time to sort this out, with the weather and everything i will continue to get rid of the mould by spraying it etc and keeping the window vents open most of the time, as its hard to leave them open at night as we live parallel to a main busy road.

Advertisement