Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversions from pounds to euro in shops

Options
  • 16-12-2008 3:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed that debenhams and some other shops display prices in both pounds and euros?
    The conversion rate has now changed significantly in the last month and 1 pound is now worth 1.116 euro.
    This means a jacket displayng at 75 pound striling which (according to debenhams) is 109.99 euro. It's actually now equal to 83.65 euro.

Does anyone else think this is a fairly big deal now? esspecially over the christmas when it's the busiest time of the year for them. they must be making unnatural profits.

Would you have brought the jacket back in? 3 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Rather a Consumer Issue then a local one methinks as it already has been discussed in leghts over there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580 and http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=235

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That is because UK stores tend to charge higher prices in ireland than in the UK. have heard it called the "paddy tax" or something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

The b~astards. Anyway I got them back. I got a 200 euro voucher from work for debenhams. I went in to buy that jacket I was talking about above for 109 euro. The barcode did not scan properly so the girl behind the desk keyed in the price. Basically I walked out of the shop and looked at the barcode... a massive grin appeared on my face and I realised I had just bought the jacket for... wait for it.... €1.09. SAVAGE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

And

did you bring it back? that will come out of her wages... same thing happened me a few days ago, was at work - my shifts have been cut right back and i sold something for a loss which was larger than my actual wage.

They took my entire wage and told me i didnt have to pay them back the remaining balance, 5 euro or something. No money this week now coz of it, i almost made a net loss from working!

Bring it back and tell exactly what happened if you have any heart, the shop wont suffer - its the responsibility of the girl who charged you and let you away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

TheLoc wrote: »
    The b~astards. Anyway I got them back. I got a 200 euro voucher from work for debenhams. I went in to buy that jacket I was talking about above for 109 euro. The barcode did not scan properly so the girl behind the desk keyed in the price. Basically I walked out of the shop and looked at the barcode... a massive grin appeared on my face and I realised I had just bought the jacket for... wait for it.... €1.09. SAVAGE
    I hope you'll wear that jacket with appropriate guilt.

did you bring it back? that will come out of her wages... same thing happened me a few days ago, was at work - my shifts have been cut right back and i sold something for a loss which was larger than my actual wage.

They took my entire wage and told me i didnt have to pay them back the remaining balance, 5 euro or something. No money this week now coz of it, i almost made a net loss from working!

Bring it back and tell exactly what happened if you have any heart, the shop wont suffer - its the responsibility of the girl who charged you and let you away with it
    Are you crazy. Why did you let them take the money off you? they can't just take money off you. did you check your rights? It's human error. That means unless you're doing it often enough, then they can do it. but you should have just said no! It happened me when I was working in a video store. 80 euro was missing. they checked the camera's and knew I did nothing which I didn't. then they told me to give them money. I just said no. they can't do anything about it. unless they fire you. in that case it's unfair dismissal. There's no way i'm bringing it back anyway. I'm sure not many people would either.
    Seriously you should have never given them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Ya right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bullsh1t. I used to work there. They won't even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I hoped they used the vaseline when they rode you...

• Advertisement

Hahahaha. maybe I should create a poll to see how many people would actually bring it back in?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Hahahaha. maybe I should create a poll to see how many people would actually bring it back in?
    No one would. :cool:

Anyone who says they would are lying.

No one would. :cool:

Anyone who says they would are lying.

There are people who would....personally it would depend on the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Has anyone noticed that debenhams and some other shops display prices in both pounds and euros?
    The conversion rate has now changed significantly in the last month and 1 pound is now worth 1.116 euro.
    This means a jacket displayng at 75 pound striling which (according to debenhams) is 109.99 euro. It's actually now equal to 83.65 euro.

Does anyone else think this is a fairly big deal now? esspecially over the christmas when it's the busiest time of the year for them. they must be making unnatural profits.

You cannot directly convert. The overheads are different in Ireland to the UK & therefore shops have to sell at a higher price in order to make the same profit margin. Of the various overheads a business incurrs, Irish public liability insurance, VAT & wages are significantly higher than in the UK. Just because the two countries are beside each other does not mean prices should be the same!

Yea but in most other shops they are?? like river island & foot locker. Anyway I just converted 20 pound sterling yesterday... Guess what I got for it.... just over 19 euro. SHOCKING.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I bought a pair of shoes in Dunnes on evening and they came up on the till as €1 instead of €30 and they were reduced from €50. Hiking boots. BTW, they were crap, what do I expect from Dunnes.

Not bad hiking boots for €1 though.

The girl looked at the screen and said "meh" and asked me would I like to take another pair. I wasnt so desperate though.

She said "oh thats EPOS's problem". Epos, I know from repping in Dunnes, are the people walking around scanning every item in store making sure, 1 - they actually scan - and 2 they actually scan the correct price. So, not the cashiers problem and not mine. Win Win.

Debenhams story. We( GF and I ) were in the jewellery section and she was looking at a Ice Diamonds bracelet. She tried to put it on her wrist and it snapped in half. She kept saying to the cashier/salesperson "Im sorry, Im sorry" whislt I stood with my mouth open. I eventually managed to say

Me to GF "WHAT, What are you sorry for, this cheap crap?"
    Girl "Its not cheap sir, but it is broken"
    Me "I hope you do not think we are paying for cheap merchandise"
    Girl " Somebody will have to pay for it and you had it when it broke"
    Me " Go get your manager and we will see whose has the most rights here"
    Girl " Back in a minute"

We walked out of the store. :D

Ha the right job. bloody robbin english... kind of anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Could never figure out why those stores show dual-currency pricing, anyways.....did Spanish stores near the French border show prices in Francs before the change to euro ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Could never figure out why those stores show dual-currency pricing, anyways.....did Spanish stores near the French border show prices in Francs before the change to euro ?
    I'm sure they did considering there's a €uro price for 8/9 different countries on most clothes you pick up in Spanish chain stores. They're never the same across the board either.

Advertisement