Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is IrelandOffline coming out of retirement?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

Former IrelandOffline members have re-convened because of the continuing lack of reasonable broadband services in Ireland, and decided that such was the shortfall that IrelandOffline needed to be reformed.
    Other countries are racing ahead of us in the broadband stakes.

Among the factors in this decision included:
    * The awarding of the National Broadband Scheme tender to a 3G provider.
    * The government's inaction and unwillingness to work with others to formulate policy.
    * Comreg's continuing lack of accountability, inaction, and bizarre practices in industry reporting.
    * Inaction on development of existing networks to deliver higher speeds in the future, or to deliver anywhere near universal broadband.
    * The EU is committed to Universal High speed Broadband rollouts to every home in the EU by 2010 (defined as minimum FTTN minimum 20mbits for all by
    2010)

see page 17 of this for the Barroso Objective

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_barroso/president/pdf/Comm_20081126.pdf

see page 7 of this for minimum bitrates envisaged under this EU plan (FTTN)

http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/ecomm/doc/library/public_consult/nga/expl_note_nga.pdf

Some of us can be found on irc quakenet #irelandoffline
    Use an ircclient to connect , see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IRC_clients
    hydra, trilian and mirc are the ones I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Are you still doing contract work for eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

Oops....has someone had the temerity to play with someone else's hobby-horse without their permission?

One whing to moan for all...and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Given your history of posting on this forum, I've decided to ban you. Take your 1-man crusade against Damien Mulley elsewhere, thanks. You have a PM explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

damien wrote: »

I hardly see it as relevant if he does or doesn't, its not exactly a position that you could push Eircom's interests (if he wanted to) without being burned at the stake for being an Eircom sympathizer on this forum and elsewhere.
    kingkane wrote: »
    Oops....has someone had the temerity to play with someone else's hobby-horse without their permission?

One whing to moan for all...and so on and so forth.
    Even though the way he says it he obviously has some sort of personal Vendetta against DamienM and seems to just want a dig I somewhat agree with him. Questioning if Bealtine still does contract work for Eircom just seems like someone is throwing the toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

damien wrote: »

Are you?

I've never worked for eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Even though the way he says it he obviously has some sort of personal Vendetta against DamienM and seems to just want a dig I somewhat agree with him. Questioning if Bealtine still does contract work for Eircom just seems like someone is throwing the toys out of the pram.

Agreed, which is why I left the post.

The issue of disclosure is important and I'm sure will be dealt with by the elected committee when that time comes. The interim spokesperson has already answered the question anyway, so we're all set here!

Advertisement