Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Pressure

Options
  • 16-12-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if these are the right prerssures for my tyres:

The tyres on the car are:

205/55/R16 94 V

According to the manufacturer's sticker inside the door the pressures should be:

Front tyres: 2.0 = 29 psi (according to kwikfit conversion table below)
    Rear tyres: 2.4 = 35 psi

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-pressure.asp

Does these tyre pressures sound right?

The reason I ask is because I was getting a puncture repaired yesterday on a rear tyre, and the mechanic said he put 32 psi in when he was replacing the tyre :confused: Surely this was too low, if the sticker says 2.4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Yes its too low so you should inflate it to the correct spec when you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Over 25 years of driving I have always found that car makers err on the side of comfort when it comes to specifying tyre pressure.

In my experience adding 0.5 bar (sorry, don't do PSI) to the spec gives better fuel economy and firmer handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My golden rule of thumb is always 30psi. So if you don't get a specific and exact answer, take 30psi as being right. I've used that for every car I've ever had, whatever it was.

It will be in the handbook, look under regular maintenance. Could either should be a sticker, either in the glovebox, or by the door with the pressures written on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

35 would be pretty hard on the road although if its specified Im not goin to advise otherwise however, driving style, load weight etc would dictate a certain amount.
    I had an alfa with that size tyres at one stage and I always ran then at 28 psi front and 29/30 psi rear following much experimentation re grip, stability, feel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Astra estate here.. 31PSI all around, 35 would be very dangerous, be bouncing all over the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Mr.David wrote: »
    Yes its too low so you should inflate it to the correct spec when you get a chance.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I tried to explain to the mechanic that I normally inflate to 35 PSI, but he didn't have good English, so I said I'd check it at the garage later myself. I thought if you went to a place that fits tyres, they'd know what they're at, but obviously not.

peasant wrote: »
    Over 25 years of driving I have always found that car makers err on the side of comfort when it comes to specifying tyre pressure.

In my experience adding 0.5 bar (sorry, don't do PSI) to the spec gives better fuel economy and firmer handling.

I think adding 0.5 bar would be too much tbh. Wouldn't the tyres be over-inflated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Is it now down to the car rather than the tyre where pressure is concerned ?

Anyway mine has it listed on the inside of the fuel flap - I generally go for 32 all round. Too hard and you loose grip, too soft and you loose performance and economy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Too hard, uneven wear. Too soft, uneven wear. Basically, the full thread accoss the tyre should have even distribution with the surface of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mines 33psi front / 30psi rear (Focus C-Max Diesel). Surely it also depends on the weight of the car, and also on the weight distribution i.e. there can't be a "one size fits all" pressure for all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

My golden rule of thumb is always 30psi. So if you don't get a specific and exact answer, take 30psi as being right. I've used that for every car I've ever had, whatever it was.

It will be in the handbook, look under regular maintenance. Could either should be a sticker, either in the glovebox, or by the door with the pressures written on them.

Yes, I know the correct tyre pressure for my car. There is a sticker on the driver's side door jam. I always check my tyre pressure regularly (once every 2 weeks), according to the tyre pressures as set out by the manufacturer. 30 psi would be underinflated, which would affect handling, and could damage the tyre.

I thought it was pretty poor for a tyre dealer not to know the correct tyre pressure (when it's printed on the doorjam), so I thought get a second opinion here.

carbsy wrote: »
    Astra estate here.. 31PSI all around, 35 would be very dangerous, be bouncing all over the place!

:confused:
    Different cars will have different tyre pressures.
    My car isn't bouncing on the road, and it's not dangerous. Like I said above, I inflate the tyres to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer.

mickdw wrote: »
    35 would be pretty hard on the road although if its specified Im not goin to advise otherwise however, driving style, load weight etc would dictate a certain amount.
    I had an alfa with that size tyres at one stage and I always ran then at 28 psi front and 29/30 psi rear following much experimentation re grip, stability, feel etc.

It's 35 on the rear only, 29 on front. That's what specified (taking load weight into account).

• Advertisement
Advertisement